Bradford Bulls: Matt Diskin under starter’s orders

Bulls joint-skipper Matt Diskin

Bulls joint-skipper Matt Diskin

First published in Bulls Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford Bulls Reporter

Matt Diskin has spoken of his determination to recapture his best form in 2013 and start the year as the Bulls’ first-choice starting hooker.

As a seasoned Super League campaigner with four Grand Final winners’ rings under his belt, Diskin’s pedigree is not up for debate.

But the 30-year-old former Leeds stalwart believes he can show an improvement on the form he produced in 2012 and push Heath L’Estrange for the starting hooking role.

“Heath and I have got a great relationship and we enjoy playing together,” said Diskin of his fellow joint-captain.

“But if you ask us about starting then we would both say we want to be the starting hooker.

“Irrelevant of how your game fits, you want to be the first person on the pitch, and that goes for any player in any position.”

A shoulder injury prematurely ended his 2011 campaign and he was sidelined again by another shoulder injury suffered during the Magic Weekend defeat to Leeds.

It was further cruel blow for the Dewsbury-born hooker, who believes the injuries preventing him hitting peak form in 2012.

He added: “At the start of the year I came back from my initial shoulder injury too early and wasn’t happy with how I was physically and mentally.

“I know I can offer a lot more than that, as many of the players can after injuries last year.

“But we’re doing things the right way in pre-season and I think we’re going in the right direction.”

Comments (13)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

11:44am Tue 1 Jan 13

Prycey says...

For me, Diskin is in his last year as first choice hooker and this is why O’Brien should have been given some good advice about being patient. Adam should go to Dewsbury and build his game this season and prepare to take over from Matt in 2014. It is just a matter of time before he and L’Estrange are our two hookers. Diskin will be on a fair salary and is nearing his retirement not only because of his age but the injuries he is now picking up. Possibly an assistant coach role for Diskin in future? On his day he is still a good player but time and injuries catch up to everyone and Adam is nearly ready to step up to the task.
For me, Diskin is in his last year as first choice hooker and this is why O’Brien should have been given some good advice about being patient. Adam should go to Dewsbury and build his game this season and prepare to take over from Matt in 2014. It is just a matter of time before he and L’Estrange are our two hookers. Diskin will be on a fair salary and is nearing his retirement not only because of his age but the injuries he is now picking up. Possibly an assistant coach role for Diskin in future? On his day he is still a good player but time and injuries catch up to everyone and Adam is nearly ready to step up to the task. Prycey
  • Score: 0

1:21pm Tue 1 Jan 13

vikings hack hunt says...

With him being Frannys brother in law I can safely say he will be 1st choice.
With him being Frannys brother in law I can safely say he will be 1st choice. vikings hack hunt
  • Score: 0

3:00pm Tue 1 Jan 13

AdeyG'man says...

Quality hooker but L'Estrange would be my starting hooker. He get the team going faster, he's quicker out of the ruck and he's better at setting the pace. If we start the new season firing out of the blocks with L'Estrange, then Diskin can come on after 20mins and really make some space and cause more damage.
Quality hooker but L'Estrange would be my starting hooker. He get the team going faster, he's quicker out of the ruck and he's better at setting the pace. If we start the new season firing out of the blocks with L'Estrange, then Diskin can come on after 20mins and really make some space and cause more damage. AdeyG'man
  • Score: 0

4:39pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Prycey says...

I tend to disagree about him being his brother-in-law having any effect on the coach’s decision. If Franny is seen to do that in his first season of coaching he will get a poor reputation from the start. It could actually be the other way round as the coach will not want to be seen as showing any favouritism. I think the new coach will do everything “above board” and Diskin will need to earn his place. Franny knows his future coaching career may hinge on this first post so he needs to be spot on with everything.
I tend to disagree about him being his brother-in-law having any effect on the coach’s decision. If Franny is seen to do that in his first season of coaching he will get a poor reputation from the start. It could actually be the other way round as the coach will not want to be seen as showing any favouritism. I think the new coach will do everything “above board” and Diskin will need to earn his place. Franny knows his future coaching career may hinge on this first post so he needs to be spot on with everything. Prycey
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Tue 1 Jan 13

vikings hack hunt says...

That's why I am harder on viking than others because I love him so much. True story.
That's why I am harder on viking than others because I love him so much. True story. vikings hack hunt
  • Score: 0

6:10pm Tue 1 Jan 13

vikings hack hunt says...

That's why I am harder on viking than others because I love him so much. True story.
That's why I am harder on viking than others because I love him so much. True story. vikings hack hunt
  • Score: 0

8:51pm Tue 1 Jan 13

Shelfrhino says...

Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more?
Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.
Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more? Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot. Shelfrhino
  • Score: 0

10:00pm Tue 1 Jan 13

vikksy says...

LeStrange in my opinion
LeStrange in my opinion vikksy
  • Score: 0

12:02am Wed 2 Jan 13

fraternise says...

Shelfrhino wrote:
Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more?
Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.
Yes and the same applies to our ex players who usually are trained coaches..ie Brian Mc Dermot, Jimmy Lowes, and of course FC who is now a fully fledged head coach.
Can you tell me when the Rhino's produced a GB coach??
Must admit Tony Smith is a good coach, but he didn't learn his trade at Leeds either!

In other words your argument doesn't stack up, does it???

We could go on for ever with this silliness, and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to anyone...bit like your comment.
[quote][p][bold]Shelfrhino[/bold] wrote: Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more? Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.[/p][/quote]Yes and the same applies to our ex players who usually are trained coaches..ie Brian Mc Dermot, Jimmy Lowes, and of course FC who is now a fully fledged head coach. Can you tell me when the Rhino's produced a GB coach?? Must admit Tony Smith is a good coach, but he didn't learn his trade at Leeds either! In other words your argument doesn't stack up, does it??? We could go on for ever with this silliness, and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to anyone...bit like your comment. fraternise
  • Score: 0

12:45am Wed 2 Jan 13

Shelfrhino says...

fraternise wrote:
Shelfrhino wrote:
Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more?
Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.
Yes and the same applies to our ex players who usually are trained coaches..ie Brian Mc Dermot, Jimmy Lowes, and of course FC who is now a fully fledged head coach.
Can you tell me when the Rhino's produced a GB coach??
Must admit Tony Smith is a good coach, but he didn't learn his trade at Leeds either!

In other words your argument doesn't stack up, does it???

We could go on for ever with this silliness, and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to anyone...bit like your comment.
This thread is about Diskin, stick to it you troll. Why are you going on about coaching? What a silly woman you are.
[quote][p][bold]fraternise[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Shelfrhino[/bold] wrote: Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more? Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.[/p][/quote]Yes and the same applies to our ex players who usually are trained coaches..ie Brian Mc Dermot, Jimmy Lowes, and of course FC who is now a fully fledged head coach. Can you tell me when the Rhino's produced a GB coach?? Must admit Tony Smith is a good coach, but he didn't learn his trade at Leeds either! In other words your argument doesn't stack up, does it??? We could go on for ever with this silliness, and it wouldn't make the slightest difference to anyone...bit like your comment.[/p][/quote]This thread is about Diskin, stick to it you troll. Why are you going on about coaching? What a silly woman you are. Shelfrhino
  • Score: 0

11:02am Wed 2 Jan 13

Uglytruth says...

Shelfrhino wrote:
Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more? Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.
scuton is really shot, been to 3 weddings in the past month of rugby players and all the whispers were of scruton being told to retire as hes finished
[quote][p][bold]Shelfrhino[/bold] wrote: Do you really think we would have let him go if he was anywhere near his best any more? Much the same as Scruton, we pass them on to you when they are shot.[/p][/quote]scuton is really shot, been to 3 weddings in the past month of rugby players and all the whispers were of scruton being told to retire as hes finished Uglytruth
  • Score: 0

11:05am Wed 2 Jan 13

Uglytruth says...

le'strange for me.
you cant replicate his enthusiasm and buzz on the pitch, a great organiser and played better than diskin last season. liked them sharing the captaincy actually as it meant we always had a captain on the pitch (injuries aside)
le'strange for me. you cant replicate his enthusiasm and buzz on the pitch, a great organiser and played better than diskin last season. liked them sharing the captaincy actually as it meant we always had a captain on the pitch (injuries aside) Uglytruth
  • Score: 0

12:30pm Thu 3 Jan 13

ButtersBulls11 says...

Disco isnt franny's brother in law im told its a myth
Disco isnt franny's brother in law im told its a myth ButtersBulls11
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree