City will scour the non-league market again to seek out more unheralded signings, Julian Rhodes has promised.
The joint-chairman has highlighted the progress of former part-timers James Hanson, Scott Neilson and Steve Williams.
The transfer window reopens for business on Friday and, while Stuart McCall may look for more experience to provide an immediate short-term boost, Rhodes
has not ruled out looking further down the pyramid again.
He said: “Stuart did his homework and has brought in the right players and it will be an avenue we look to go down again in the future. It’s been successful so far so of course we will keep trying
“Credit to Stuart for coaching the lads we’ve got from non-league because I don’t think anyone expected them to do as well as they have.
“I remember the Barnet chairman identifying our three best players down there. They were Hanson, Williams and Neilson.
“He wouldn’t believe me when I told him that one was stacking shelves three months ago, one was a hairdresser and the other was a plumber.
“The good thing is these lads are getting experience.
“They’ve had a taste of pro football and they really want it. I’m sure James doesn’t want to go back to working in a supermarket.
“They are all under contract for at least next season, so let’s see where they are at then.”