McCall to stick with what he's got

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Paul Mullin is destined to be Stuart McCall's last bit of business in the transfer market this season Paul Mullin is destined to be Stuart McCall's last bit of business in the transfer market this season

Stuart McCall will not make a last-minute delve into the loan market.

The transfer shutters come down for the season at tea-time today and the City chief has no plans for any further shopping.

McCall has already added two faces in March – Keith Gillespie on a short-term contract and Accrington frontman Paul Mullin on loan to replace Barry Conlon.

And despite losing four on the bounce, McCall believes he possesses enough resour-ces to get back on track for the crucial seven-game run-in.

He said: “That’s it now. I’ve got enough players in different positions for a variety of choices.

“We are in a run we don’t want at this stage but it’s down to us to turn it round. And I still believe there is enough ability within the squad to pick up the points we need between now and the end of the season.”

Meanwhile, joint-chairman Mark Lawn reckons the fans can hold the key to persuading McCall to stay at Valley Parade if City do miss out on the play-offs.

McCall has threatened to step down if his side do not finish in the top seven. But Lawn believes the supporters can sway him by snapping up next term’s season tickets early.

Lawn said: “Stuart McCall loves this club and he loves the supporters. If the supporters turn round and back him, it’s a more powerful argument than I can give.

“If people want Stuart to stay, then get behind him and commit to your season-ticket. That says that even if we don’t get in the play-offs, we still want you here - and then I think Stuart will stay whatever happens.”

Lawn has already warned that cheap tickets will be a thing of the past after next season if City do not meet their 10,000 target again. Sales are currently around 6,500.

Fans have until close of business on Tuesday to buy season-tickets at the reduced price of £175 for adults. After that, it will increase to £250.

The Valley Parade box office will be open from 9am to midday on Saturday and from 11am to 3pm on Sunday.

Comments (35)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:44am Thu 26 Mar 09

KnightMcCall says...

Well, we can all stop moaning about transfers and focus on what matters now which is full support. So

a) Get your season tickets bought immediately
b) Get your ticket for Chester because the team need all the support they can get.

Chesterfield are starting to look a genuine threat to promotion and who do we play on the last day of the season? I am pretty sure that on the last day of the 1996 season we won at Hull to prevent Chesterfield getting into the play offs.

Any news on whether Thorne is fit to play?
Well, we can all stop moaning about transfers and focus on what matters now which is full support. So a) Get your season tickets bought immediately b) Get your ticket for Chester because the team need all the support they can get. Chesterfield are starting to look a genuine threat to promotion and who do we play on the last day of the season? I am pretty sure that on the last day of the 1996 season we won at Hull to prevent Chesterfield getting into the play offs. Any news on whether Thorne is fit to play? KnightMcCall
  • Score: 0

8:29am Thu 26 Mar 09

bantam blue says...

The one thing mccall should do is get mark bower back from luton clarke is not good enough .I think as far as season tickets go the deadline needs extending iv already got mine but i think the club needs to give people more time money is tight at the moment for alot of people
The one thing mccall should do is get mark bower back from luton clarke is not good enough .I think as far as season tickets go the deadline needs extending iv already got mine but i think the club needs to give people more time money is tight at the moment for alot of people bantam blue
  • Score: 0

9:11am Thu 26 Mar 09

tyker says...

I wonder how effective our scouting system is. All our nearest competitors seem able to pick up non league young players and turn them into something. This leads me to the conclusion that these clubs have a system and either their managers or assistants are travelling to see plenty of non league football and unearthing players.

we seem never to be able to do this so my question is this.

How many games do SM , WJ, DW or BC go to watch during the week and do we have,therefore, any system of scouting at all?

If anyone has a definitive answer please let us all know.
I wonder how effective our scouting system is. All our nearest competitors seem able to pick up non league young players and turn them into something. This leads me to the conclusion that these clubs have a system and either their managers or assistants are travelling to see plenty of non league football and unearthing players. we seem never to be able to do this so my question is this. How many games do SM , WJ, DW or BC go to watch during the week and do we have,therefore, any system of scouting at all? If anyone has a definitive answer please let us all know. tyker
  • Score: 0

9:34am Thu 26 Mar 09

jb bantam says...

If McCall thinks he has enough fire power Mr Lawn should open the door at Valley Parade and bid him farewell.

Gillespie isnt fit , Colbeck's confidence is at an all time low , Brandon still coming back to match fitness , Thorne will maybe play Saturday then sit out a few weeks with wait for it"a stiff neck" Jones has improved on the wing , but ive seen him operate as a striker at Bury and was poor , Mullen is no better than Conlon and Boulding is just one huge disappointment.

Ultimately the central defensive pairing of Clarke & Lee which McCall seems happy with for some reason and the lack of fire power will cost us dear , it upsets me that we sign such players as Boulding and he delivers such little effort back into the team.

But maybe a win at Chester , decent result against Brentford and Morecambe and things will look different and the attacking players who have not performed to expectation will prove me wrong , I want to be proved wrong and my negative approach is only because so called recognised players and doing so little for the side
If McCall thinks he has enough fire power Mr Lawn should open the door at Valley Parade and bid him farewell. Gillespie isnt fit , Colbeck's confidence is at an all time low , Brandon still coming back to match fitness , Thorne will maybe play Saturday then sit out a few weeks with wait for it"a stiff neck" Jones has improved on the wing , but ive seen him operate as a striker at Bury and was poor , Mullen is no better than Conlon and Boulding is just one huge disappointment. Ultimately the central defensive pairing of Clarke & Lee which McCall seems happy with for some reason and the lack of fire power will cost us dear , it upsets me that we sign such players as Boulding and he delivers such little effort back into the team. But maybe a win at Chester , decent result against Brentford and Morecambe and things will look different and the attacking players who have not performed to expectation will prove me wrong , I want to be proved wrong and my negative approach is only because so called recognised players and doing so little for the side jb bantam
  • Score: 0

10:03am Thu 26 Mar 09

Waynus71 says...

jb bantam wrote:
If McCall thinks he has enough fire power Mr Lawn should open the door at Valley Parade and bid him farewell. Gillespie isnt fit , Colbeck's confidence is at an all time low , Brandon still coming back to match fitness , Thorne will maybe play Saturday then sit out a few weeks with wait for it"a stiff neck" Jones has improved on the wing , but ive seen him operate as a striker at Bury and was poor , Mullen is no better than Conlon and Boulding is just one huge disappointment. Ultimately the central defensive pairing of Clarke & Lee which McCall seems happy with for some reason and the lack of fire power will cost us dear , it upsets me that we sign such players as Boulding and he delivers such little effort back into the team. But maybe a win at Chester , decent result against Brentford and Morecambe and things will look different and the attacking players who have not performed to expectation will prove me wrong , I want to be proved wrong and my negative approach is only because so called recognised players and doing so little for the side
Your summary may be 'negative' (as you put it), but your comments are very valid. How come McCall is the only person in Bradford to see we are severely missing something?

I agree entirely with your comments and that McCall needs to break up the defensive pairing of Lee & Clarke. They may have had a few clean sheets (but how many have we had when they haven't been paired together?). However, we only seem to get clean sheets when other teams sit back to stop us playing. It ALMOST happened again last Saturday, but for the clowns to gift Vale a goal.

As for the wingers, I agree with McCall that we have enough cover. I also agree with McCall that we have enough cover centrally too. However, the problem is (and has been for the majority of the season), we cannot cope with the 3 man strikeforce we have got/had.

Boulding (never been prolific apart from last season) can be hit-or-miss.

Thorne (one of the best strikers in this league) is never 100% fit. When he was fit, we saw how good he was. However, he picks up too many soft injuries and this affects his general fitness.

Baz/Mullin (have never been regular goalscorers) are used as battering rams. When they play, the team automotacially bomb the ball up the pitch and expect it to stick. Mullin MAY be good at this, but Baz wasn't. However, neither will get enough goals to get a team promoted.

This is where McCall is clearly showing his weakness. If he can't see our problems, how can we expect him to get us out of this division? I am losing confidence in him every week!

No doubt I will get slated (again), but this is how I see it. Anyone that knows me will know I call a spade a spade!
[quote][p][bold]jb bantam[/bold] wrote: If McCall thinks he has enough fire power Mr Lawn should open the door at Valley Parade and bid him farewell. Gillespie isnt fit , Colbeck's confidence is at an all time low , Brandon still coming back to match fitness , Thorne will maybe play Saturday then sit out a few weeks with wait for it"a stiff neck" Jones has improved on the wing , but ive seen him operate as a striker at Bury and was poor , Mullen is no better than Conlon and Boulding is just one huge disappointment. Ultimately the central defensive pairing of Clarke & Lee which McCall seems happy with for some reason and the lack of fire power will cost us dear , it upsets me that we sign such players as Boulding and he delivers such little effort back into the team. But maybe a win at Chester , decent result against Brentford and Morecambe and things will look different and the attacking players who have not performed to expectation will prove me wrong , I want to be proved wrong and my negative approach is only because so called recognised players and doing so little for the side [/p][/quote]Your summary may be 'negative' (as you put it), but your comments are very valid. How come McCall is the only person in Bradford to see we are severely missing something? I agree entirely with your comments and that McCall needs to break up the defensive pairing of Lee & Clarke. They may have had a few clean sheets (but how many have we had when they haven't been paired together?). However, we only seem to get clean sheets when other teams sit back to stop us playing. It ALMOST happened again last Saturday, but for the clowns to gift Vale a goal. As for the wingers, I agree with McCall that we have enough cover. I also agree with McCall that we have enough cover centrally too. However, the problem is (and has been for the majority of the season), we cannot cope with the 3 man strikeforce we have got/had. Boulding (never been prolific apart from last season) can be hit-or-miss. Thorne (one of the best strikers in this league) is never 100% fit. When he was fit, we saw how good he was. However, he picks up too many soft injuries and this affects his general fitness. Baz/Mullin (have never been regular goalscorers) are used as battering rams. When they play, the team automotacially bomb the ball up the pitch and expect it to stick. Mullin MAY be good at this, but Baz wasn't. However, neither will get enough goals to get a team promoted. This is where McCall is clearly showing his weakness. If he can't see our problems, how can we expect him to get us out of this division? I am losing confidence in him every week! No doubt I will get slated (again), but this is how I see it. Anyone that knows me will know I call a spade a spade! Waynus71
  • Score: 0

10:09am Thu 26 Mar 09

Waynus71 says...

bantam blue wrote:
The one thing mccall should do is get mark bower back from luton clarke is not good enough .I think as far as season tickets go the deadline needs extending iv already got mine but i think the club needs to give people more time money is tight at the moment for alot of people
As I have said before, money is NOT the problem. 'Fans' are holding back to see where we are playing football next season. Personally, I don't think they are fans as they should support us no matter which division we find ourselves in.

If money WAS the issue, they could sign up for the standing order scheme and pay just £20 a month (this equates to £4.65 a week over a 43 week period - 10months).
[quote][p][bold]bantam blue[/bold] wrote: The one thing mccall should do is get mark bower back from luton clarke is not good enough .I think as far as season tickets go the deadline needs extending iv already got mine but i think the club needs to give people more time money is tight at the moment for alot of people[/p][/quote]As I have said before, money is NOT the problem. 'Fans' are holding back to see where we are playing football next season. Personally, I don't think they are fans as they should support us no matter which division we find ourselves in. If money WAS the issue, they could sign up for the standing order scheme and pay just £20 a month (this equates to £4.65 a week over a 43 week period - 10months). Waynus71
  • Score: 0

10:12am Thu 26 Mar 09

Waynus71 says...

"And I still believe there is enough ability within the squad to pick up the points we need between now and the end of the season.”

May be so McCall, but there isn't enough quality in certain areas (central defence and strikers) to win the play-off games. You have played nearly all season with just 3 strikers and that decision looks like it could cost you dearly.
"And I still believe there is enough ability within the squad to pick up the points we need between now and the end of the season.” May be so McCall, but there isn't enough quality in certain areas (central defence and strikers) to win the play-off games. You have played nearly all season with just 3 strikers and that decision looks like it could cost you dearly. Waynus71
  • Score: 0

10:43am Thu 26 Mar 09

Scargutt says...

Don't leave stuart, i'll still ocme along even if we're in the Blue Square!

To all the detractors claiming the management are inexperienced, well if Stuart stays for 5 years, he won't be inexperienced then, will he?

come on, let's try and get promoted, but not worry about it if it doesn't happen.
Don't leave stuart, i'll still ocme along even if we're in the Blue Square! To all the detractors claiming the management are inexperienced, well if Stuart stays for 5 years, he won't be inexperienced then, will he? come on, let's try and get promoted, but not worry about it if it doesn't happen. Scargutt
  • Score: 0

11:11am Thu 26 Mar 09

Waynus71 says...

tyker wrote:
I wonder how effective our scouting system is. All our nearest competitors seem able to pick up non league young players and turn them into something. This leads me to the conclusion that these clubs have a system and either their managers or assistants are travelling to see plenty of non league football and unearthing players. we seem never to be able to do this so my question is this. How many games do SM , WJ, DW or BC go to watch during the week and do we have,therefore, any system of scouting at all? If anyone has a definitive answer please let us all know.
Tyker, in a previous interview, McCall claimed that he and Jakes spend most evenings watching a game. However, judging by the type of players he has brought to the club, his criteria is as follows;

1) Does the player play well against City? (Looking for 'Yes')

2) Does the player play in his club's first team? (Looking for 'No')

3) Is the player experienced (i.e older than most)? (Looking for 'Yes')

4) Is the player likely to play most of the games for us or could he miss quite a few due to injury? (Looking for 'No')

This might explain why we only get crocks from League 1/2 reserves instead of young talent in the conference leagues LOL
[quote][p][bold]tyker[/bold] wrote: I wonder how effective our scouting system is. All our nearest competitors seem able to pick up non league young players and turn them into something. This leads me to the conclusion that these clubs have a system and either their managers or assistants are travelling to see plenty of non league football and unearthing players. we seem never to be able to do this so my question is this. How many games do SM , WJ, DW or BC go to watch during the week and do we have,therefore, any system of scouting at all? If anyone has a definitive answer please let us all know.[/p][/quote]Tyker, in a previous interview, McCall claimed that he and Jakes spend most evenings watching a game. However, judging by the type of players he has brought to the club, his criteria is as follows; 1) Does the player play well against City? (Looking for 'Yes') 2) Does the player play in his club's first team? (Looking for 'No') 3) Is the player experienced (i.e older than most)? (Looking for 'Yes') 4) Is the player likely to play most of the games for us or could he miss quite a few due to injury? (Looking for 'No') This might explain why we only get crocks from League 1/2 reserves instead of young talent in the conference leagues LOL Waynus71
  • Score: 0

11:18am Thu 26 Mar 09

Waynus71 says...

Scargutt wrote:
Don't leave stuart, i'll still ocme along even if we're in the Blue Square! To all the detractors claiming the management are inexperienced, well if Stuart stays for 5 years, he won't be inexperienced then, will he? come on, let's try and get promoted, but not worry about it if it doesn't happen.
Nobody would be complaining that McCall is inexperienced if;

1) He had experience behind in him in his backroom staff.

2) He showed that he was learning from his mistakes.

Sadly neither are true! All managers start their careers with no experience, but generally they get some experience behind them. Even Fergie started out with Archie Knox as his assistant.

The sad fact is, McCall is still no better at decision making now than he was in June 2007.
e.g The clueless pairing of Lee & Clarke are likely to start AGAIN on Saturday despite having Rehman & Bower on the books. We are also likely to be scratching for a strike'force' between Boulding, Mullin & Thorne!!
[quote][p][bold]Scargutt[/bold] wrote: Don't leave stuart, i'll still ocme along even if we're in the Blue Square! To all the detractors claiming the management are inexperienced, well if Stuart stays for 5 years, he won't be inexperienced then, will he? come on, let's try and get promoted, but not worry about it if it doesn't happen.[/p][/quote]Nobody would be complaining that McCall is inexperienced if; 1) He had experience behind in him in his backroom staff. 2) He showed that he was learning from his mistakes. Sadly neither are true! All managers start their careers with no experience, but generally they get some experience behind them. Even Fergie started out with Archie Knox as his assistant. The sad fact is, McCall is still no better at decision making now than he was in June 2007. e.g The clueless pairing of Lee & Clarke are likely to start AGAIN on Saturday despite having Rehman & Bower on the books. We are also likely to be scratching for a strike'force' between Boulding, Mullin & Thorne!! Waynus71
  • Score: 0

11:52am Thu 26 Mar 09

the general 81-86 says...

Waynus71 wrote:
Scargutt wrote: Don't leave stuart, i'll still ocme along even if we're in the Blue Square! To all the detractors claiming the management are inexperienced, well if Stuart stays for 5 years, he won't be inexperienced then, will he? come on, let's try and get promoted, but not worry about it if it doesn't happen.
Nobody would be complaining that McCall is inexperienced if; 1) He had experience behind in him in his backroom staff. 2) He showed that he was learning from his mistakes. Sadly neither are true! All managers start their careers with no experience, but generally they get some experience behind them. Even Fergie started out with Archie Knox as his assistant. The sad fact is, McCall is still no better at decision making now than he was in June 2007. e.g The clueless pairing of Lee & Clarke are likely to start AGAIN on Saturday despite having Rehman & Bower on the books. We are also likely to be scratching for a strike'force' between Boulding, Mullin & Thorne!!
nobody comes on here anymore like they used to as you have made this site so boring with every post the same as the day before or the week before or the month before .
Im Sure stuart will SLEEP tonight knowing that you agree with him on certain areas of the team .
Please do not repond waynus as i cant be bothered to read anything you post.
[quote][p][bold]Waynus71[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Scargutt[/bold] wrote: Don't leave stuart, i'll still ocme along even if we're in the Blue Square! To all the detractors claiming the management are inexperienced, well if Stuart stays for 5 years, he won't be inexperienced then, will he? come on, let's try and get promoted, but not worry about it if it doesn't happen.[/p][/quote]Nobody would be complaining that McCall is inexperienced if; 1) He had experience behind in him in his backroom staff. 2) He showed that he was learning from his mistakes. Sadly neither are true! All managers start their careers with no experience, but generally they get some experience behind them. Even Fergie started out with Archie Knox as his assistant. The sad fact is, McCall is still no better at decision making now than he was in June 2007. e.g The clueless pairing of Lee & Clarke are likely to start AGAIN on Saturday despite having Rehman & Bower on the books. We are also likely to be scratching for a strike'force' between Boulding, Mullin & Thorne!![/p][/quote]nobody comes on here anymore like they used to as you have made this site so boring with every post the same as the day before or the week before or the month before . Im Sure stuart will SLEEP tonight knowing that you agree with him on certain areas of the team . Please do not repond waynus as i cant be bothered to read anything you post. the general 81-86
  • Score: 0

12:08pm Thu 26 Mar 09

IvybridgeBantam says...

Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams.
Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams. IvybridgeBantam
  • Score: 0

12:35pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Soulman says...

Do any of you lot out there work! Crikey never seen so many posts on a board during working hours. On me hols myself!!
Do any of you lot out there work! Crikey never seen so many posts on a board during working hours. On me hols myself!! Soulman
  • Score: 0

12:37pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Spenvalleyspartan says...

IvybridgeBantam wrote:
Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams.
Windass back at Valley Parade. Don't make me laugh! McCall can't manage the players he has now nevermind a strong character like Windass! As for you the General having a go at folk who bring to everyones attention McCalls failings why don't you go and put your Rose tinted specs back on! Not that anyone needs to points his failings out! Maybe even your Rose tinted specs have failed! What was that a few months ago? Lets wait till May and people will see? May of which year? Very disappointed we havn't strenghtened up front! We have not got the firepower to get out of this division! Everyone can see it why can't McCall? I can't believe fans would be happy to have McCall as manager for another year in division 2! Utter numpties! If I did my job as bad as McCall i would have been sacked a year ago!
[quote][p][bold]IvybridgeBantam[/bold] wrote: Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams. [/p][/quote]Windass back at Valley Parade. Don't make me laugh! McCall can't manage the players he has now nevermind a strong character like Windass! As for you the General having a go at folk who bring to everyones attention McCalls failings why don't you go and put your Rose tinted specs back on! Not that anyone needs to points his failings out! Maybe even your Rose tinted specs have failed! What was that a few months ago? Lets wait till May and people will see? May of which year? Very disappointed we havn't strenghtened up front! We have not got the firepower to get out of this division! Everyone can see it why can't McCall? I can't believe fans would be happy to have McCall as manager for another year in division 2! Utter numpties! If I did my job as bad as McCall i would have been sacked a year ago! Spenvalleyspartan
  • Score: 0

12:42pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Pablo says...

Let's all face facts. The squad is not good enough. Don't anyone build their hopes up, a team that can't score isn't going to win any matches. Evans apart, the only players worthy of their places are Law and Furman, and they're loanees!

Why on earth hasn't Bower had a chance? He's been proven at a far higher level than this.

I cannot believe the blind faith shown by some on this site. Who on earth wiould want to spend godd money travelling to Chester, following four successive defeats on the road and the garbage dished out last Saturday?

Judging by the season ticket sales to date, I'm not on my own in thinking that it's "all promise and no performance".
Let's all face facts. The squad is not good enough. Don't anyone build their hopes up, a team that can't score isn't going to win any matches. Evans apart, the only players worthy of their places are Law and Furman, and they're loanees! Why on earth hasn't Bower had a chance? He's been proven at a far higher level than this. I cannot believe the blind faith shown by some on this site. Who on earth wiould want to spend godd money travelling to Chester, following four successive defeats on the road and the garbage dished out last Saturday? Judging by the season ticket sales to date, I'm not on my own in thinking that it's "all promise and no performance". Pablo
  • Score: 0

12:42pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Pablo says...

Let's all face facts. The squad is not good enough. Don't anyone build their hopes up, a team that can't score isn't going to win any matches. Evans apart, the only players worthy of their places are Law and Furman, and they're loanees!

Why on earth hasn't Bower had a chance? He's been proven at a far higher level than this.

I cannot believe the blind faith shown by some on this site. Who on earth wiould want to spend godd money travelling to Chester, following four successive defeats on the road and the garbage dished out last Saturday?

Judging by the season ticket sales to date, I'm not on my own in thinking that it's "all promise and no performance".
Let's all face facts. The squad is not good enough. Don't anyone build their hopes up, a team that can't score isn't going to win any matches. Evans apart, the only players worthy of their places are Law and Furman, and they're loanees! Why on earth hasn't Bower had a chance? He's been proven at a far higher level than this. I cannot believe the blind faith shown by some on this site. Who on earth wiould want to spend godd money travelling to Chester, following four successive defeats on the road and the garbage dished out last Saturday? Judging by the season ticket sales to date, I'm not on my own in thinking that it's "all promise and no performance". Pablo
  • Score: 0

12:56pm Thu 26 Mar 09

james lees says...

jb bantam wrote:
If McCall thinks he has enough fire power Mr Lawn should open the door at Valley Parade and bid him farewell. Gillespie isnt fit , Colbeck's confidence is at an all time low , Brandon still coming back to match fitness , Thorne will maybe play Saturday then sit out a few weeks with wait for it"a stiff neck" Jones has improved on the wing , but ive seen him operate as a striker at Bury and was poor , Mullen is no better than Conlon and Boulding is just one huge disappointment. Ultimately the central defensive pairing of Clarke & Lee which McCall seems happy with for some reason and the lack of fire power will cost us dear , it upsets me that we sign such players as Boulding and he delivers such little effort back into the team. But maybe a win at Chester , decent result against Brentford and Morecambe and things will look different and the attacking players who have not performed to expectation will prove me wrong , I want to be proved wrong and my negative approach is only because so called recognised players and doing so little for the side
Well said ma lad!!!!!!
[quote][p][bold]jb bantam[/bold] wrote: If McCall thinks he has enough fire power Mr Lawn should open the door at Valley Parade and bid him farewell. Gillespie isnt fit , Colbeck's confidence is at an all time low , Brandon still coming back to match fitness , Thorne will maybe play Saturday then sit out a few weeks with wait for it"a stiff neck" Jones has improved on the wing , but ive seen him operate as a striker at Bury and was poor , Mullen is no better than Conlon and Boulding is just one huge disappointment. Ultimately the central defensive pairing of Clarke & Lee which McCall seems happy with for some reason and the lack of fire power will cost us dear , it upsets me that we sign such players as Boulding and he delivers such little effort back into the team. But maybe a win at Chester , decent result against Brentford and Morecambe and things will look different and the attacking players who have not performed to expectation will prove me wrong , I want to be proved wrong and my negative approach is only because so called recognised players and doing so little for the side [/p][/quote]Well said ma lad!!!!!! james lees
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Prisoner Cell Block A says...

Windass: Can't any of you read, or are you just out and out stupid. He CANNOT play for anybody else this season, including Hull, 1st team or reserves as he is on contract to Oldham and left there under a cloud never to return. He can coach and that is about it for his football involvement this season.

As to whether SM could handle him, that will never be known as Deano will never, ever come back to BCAFC whislt certain members of staff aqre still in place. You either know or you don't.

I do not see how the majority of posters on here can class theirselves as supporters, to continually attack the manager, players, his staff and even the chairmen doesn't mean you care, you should be asking what more can I do, not how much flak can I throw. You obviously have no managerial experience yoursleves in a football related manner, rephrase, professional football. We haven't yet failed to claim a play-off spot, but these comments on here go no way towards ensuring we do, they are the cmplete opposite. Every one needs a kick up the backside every so often, but a carrot is always better than a stick, unless your fishing.

I won't say keep the faith, I would say keep your own council and then as the majority here do, come back with your degree in hindsight and tell us yo utold us so.


CTID ( are you?)
Windass: Can't any of you read, or are you just out and out stupid. He CANNOT play for anybody else this season, including Hull, 1st team or reserves as he is on contract to Oldham and left there under a cloud never to return. He can coach and that is about it for his football involvement this season. As to whether SM could handle him, that will never be known as Deano will never, ever come back to BCAFC whislt certain members of staff aqre still in place. You either know or you don't. I do not see how the majority of posters on here can class theirselves as supporters, to continually attack the manager, players, his staff and even the chairmen doesn't mean you care, you should be asking what more can I do, not how much flak can I throw. You obviously have no managerial experience yoursleves in a football related manner, rephrase, professional football. We haven't yet failed to claim a play-off spot, but these comments on here go no way towards ensuring we do, they are the cmplete opposite. Every one needs a kick up the backside every so often, but a carrot is always better than a stick, unless your fishing. I won't say keep the faith, I would say keep your own council and then as the majority here do, come back with your degree in hindsight and tell us yo utold us so. CTID ( are you?) Prisoner Cell Block A
  • Score: 0

1:27pm Thu 26 Mar 09

tyker says...

wor? that should be a word banned by the t and a: yes I work when I want to!
wor? that should be a word banned by the t and a: yes I work when I want to! tyker
  • Score: 0

1:36pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Soulman says...

tyker wrote:
wor? that should be a word banned by the t and a: yes I work when I want to!
Blimey. Luxury!!
[quote][p][bold]tyker[/bold] wrote: wor? that should be a word banned by the t and a: yes I work when I want to![/p][/quote]Blimey. Luxury!! Soulman
  • Score: 0

2:13pm Thu 26 Mar 09

tyker says...

luxury! yes indeed:wife started work in Thornton Road:she came back the other night with £20 in 50P pieces. I asked which rotten punter paid her like that:she said they all did at 50P a time: yes, luxury indeed!!

seriously though I work from home so no one to boss me around and I work when the need arises!!
luxury! yes indeed:wife started work in Thornton Road:she came back the other night with £20 in 50P pieces. I asked which rotten punter paid her like that:she said they all did at 50P a time: yes, luxury indeed!! seriously though I work from home so no one to boss me around and I work when the need arises!! tyker
  • Score: 0

2:46pm Thu 26 Mar 09

c/pot says...

If Waynus feels like work he goes and lays down while the feeling wears off.
If Waynus feels like work he goes and lays down while the feeling wears off. c/pot
  • Score: 0

2:49pm Thu 26 Mar 09

c/pot says...

At least no more dross will be turning up to play for us this season,but next?
At least no more dross will be turning up to play for us this season,but next? c/pot
  • Score: 0

3:48pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Bantam-in-Greece says...

Prisoner Cell Block A, bradford says...
12:57pm Thu 26 Mar 09
Windass: Can't any of you read, or are you just out and out stupid. He CANNOT play for anybody else this season, including Hull, 1st team or reserves as he is on contract to Oldham and left there under a cloud never to return. He can coach and that is about it for his football involvement this season.

How do account for the fact that Windass played for Hull reserves this week and scored then, Prisoner CBH??
If his contract at Oldham has been terminated then surely he is free to join another club.
Not that McCall will sign him anyway because he hasn't got the bottle to try and manage him.
Prisoner Cell Block A, bradford says... 12:57pm Thu 26 Mar 09 Windass: Can't any of you read, or are you just out and out stupid. He CANNOT play for anybody else this season, including Hull, 1st team or reserves as he is on contract to Oldham and left there under a cloud never to return. He can coach and that is about it for his football involvement this season. How do account for the fact that Windass played for Hull reserves this week and scored then, Prisoner CBH?? If his contract at Oldham has been terminated then surely he is free to join another club. Not that McCall will sign him anyway because he hasn't got the bottle to try and manage him. Bantam-in-Greece
  • Score: 0

4:17pm Thu 26 Mar 09

fatbloke says...

Frank Sinclair to Wycombe! I think he would have helped us achieve our target...:-(
Frank Sinclair to Wycombe! I think he would have helped us achieve our target...:-( fatbloke
  • Score: 0

4:42pm Thu 26 Mar 09

bahamianbantam says...

I have been supporting City for over 40 years - and no doubt in my mind that this is worst line-up we have ever had. Whilst we can always hope the team will pull off promotion - quite frankly it is a vain hope. Promotion is earned by putting together runs of unbeaten games (not just draws) and playing well - no one can see this bunch doing that.
I fear for next season in Div 4 because all the hallmarks are there for a big struggle.
Why don't we sign young players? Looking at our great promotion sides of 1985 and 1999 we had a mix of youth and experience - since our last promotion we seem to be obsessed by getting players well past their sell-by dates.
Like all fans, Stuart is a God - but I am afraid his signings have been poor and tactics naive.
I have been supporting City for over 40 years - and no doubt in my mind that this is worst line-up we have ever had. Whilst we can always hope the team will pull off promotion - quite frankly it is a vain hope. Promotion is earned by putting together runs of unbeaten games (not just draws) and playing well - no one can see this bunch doing that. I fear for next season in Div 4 because all the hallmarks are there for a big struggle. Why don't we sign young players? Looking at our great promotion sides of 1985 and 1999 we had a mix of youth and experience - since our last promotion we seem to be obsessed by getting players well past their sell-by dates. Like all fans, Stuart is a God - but I am afraid his signings have been poor and tactics naive. bahamianbantam
  • Score: 0

4:56pm Thu 26 Mar 09

shaun from richmond says...

GREAT NEWS!!!
McCall will not be wasting any more money! Then once the seasons over hes promised to quit!
Roll on next season with a new coach!!
GREAT NEWS!!! McCall will not be wasting any more money! Then once the seasons over hes promised to quit! Roll on next season with a new coach!! shaun from richmond
  • Score: 0

5:25pm Thu 26 Mar 09

garyh1 says...

we need nobody ? a last throw of the dice is not required ,the prize is not big enough ? wembley and promotion ,is mac really making that decision ? o and SPOT ON bahamianbantam , youth flair and enthusiasm will win promotion ( not sellin em to bigger clubs the first sign of any fee)
we need nobody ? a last throw of the dice is not required ,the prize is not big enough ? wembley and promotion ,is mac really making that decision ? o and SPOT ON bahamianbantam , youth flair and enthusiasm will win promotion ( not sellin em to bigger clubs the first sign of any fee) garyh1
  • Score: 0

7:12pm Thu 26 Mar 09

tyker says...

you win nowt with a team full of journeymen pros--i said it months ago and look what we do: bring in two players with an avergae age in excess of 34!!

SM knew as a a player when he became not fit for purpose yet cannot or will not see it in others.

you win nowt with a team full of journeymen pros--i said it months ago and look what we do: bring in two players with an avergae age in excess of 34!! SM knew as a a player when he became not fit for purpose yet cannot or will not see it in others. tyker
  • Score: 0

7:24pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Botterz89 says...

Don't know if these are actual rules but by football manager a player is only allowed to play for 2 teams in one season. Think it holds as otherwise Daniel Cousin would have joined Fulham 2 years ago, but he played for Lyon and Rangers and so he couldn't play.

So that means Deano wouldn't be able to join anyway.

That said i don't think he would as, like a previous poster has said he doesn't get on with some members of our current coaching staff.

I am still suprised that Mccall doesn't feel the need for another Striker, having been assistant to Neil Warnock, the man who thought he could never have enough. Maybe this has worn of and Mccall is trying to prove a point?

I still think that Mccall can do a job whether we get promoted this year or not. If we go up this year we'll struggle next year however if we go up with a strong team like MK Dons, we might do well next year as well. Maybe another year in the basement year might not be what the fans want, but what the club needs to build a more solid base.
Don't know if these are actual rules but by football manager a player is only allowed to play for 2 teams in one season. Think it holds as otherwise Daniel Cousin would have joined Fulham 2 years ago, but he played for Lyon and Rangers and so he couldn't play. So that means Deano wouldn't be able to join anyway. That said i don't think he would as, like a previous poster has said he doesn't get on with some members of our current coaching staff. I am still suprised that Mccall doesn't feel the need for another Striker, having been assistant to Neil Warnock, the man who thought he could never have enough. Maybe this has worn of and Mccall is trying to prove a point? I still think that Mccall can do a job whether we get promoted this year or not. If we go up this year we'll struggle next year however if we go up with a strong team like MK Dons, we might do well next year as well. Maybe another year in the basement year might not be what the fans want, but what the club needs to build a more solid base. Botterz89
  • Score: 0

9:36pm Thu 26 Mar 09

Bredon Bantam says...

KnightMcCall wrote:
Well, we can all stop moaning about transfers and focus on what matters now which is full support. So a) Get your season tickets bought immediately b) Get your ticket for Chester because the team need all the support they can get. Chesterfield are starting to look a genuine threat to promotion and who do we play on the last day of the season? I am pretty sure that on the last day of the 1996 season we won at Hull to prevent Chesterfield getting into the play offs. Any news on whether Thorne is fit to play?
Planning to be there on Saturday to support the team at Chester, apart from KnightMcCall,anyone else on here going??

Still Hoping!!
[quote][p][bold]KnightMcCall[/bold] wrote: Well, we can all stop moaning about transfers and focus on what matters now which is full support. So a) Get your season tickets bought immediately b) Get your ticket for Chester because the team need all the support they can get. Chesterfield are starting to look a genuine threat to promotion and who do we play on the last day of the season? I am pretty sure that on the last day of the 1996 season we won at Hull to prevent Chesterfield getting into the play offs. Any news on whether Thorne is fit to play?[/p][/quote]Planning to be there on Saturday to support the team at Chester, apart from KnightMcCall,anyone else on here going?? Still Hoping!! Bredon Bantam
  • Score: 0

9:46pm Thu 26 Mar 09

the general 81-86 says...

Spenvalleyspartan wrote:
IvybridgeBantam wrote: Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams.
Windass back at Valley Parade. Don't make me laugh! McCall can't manage the players he has now nevermind a strong character like Windass! As for you the General having a go at folk who bring to everyones attention McCalls failings why don't you go and put your Rose tinted specs back on! Not that anyone needs to points his failings out! Maybe even your Rose tinted specs have failed! What was that a few months ago? Lets wait till May and people will see? May of which year? Very disappointed we havn't strenghtened up front! We have not got the firepower to get out of this division! Everyone can see it why can't McCall? I can't believe fans would be happy to have McCall as manager for another year in division 2! Utter numpties! If I did my job as bad as McCall i would have been sacked a year ago!
I dont see how you could get sacked old pal i asume you collect trolleys at tesco in cleckeaton and even the poles dont wanr yoyr job !!
[quote][p][bold]Spenvalleyspartan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IvybridgeBantam[/bold] wrote: Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams. [/p][/quote]Windass back at Valley Parade. Don't make me laugh! McCall can't manage the players he has now nevermind a strong character like Windass! As for you the General having a go at folk who bring to everyones attention McCalls failings why don't you go and put your Rose tinted specs back on! Not that anyone needs to points his failings out! Maybe even your Rose tinted specs have failed! What was that a few months ago? Lets wait till May and people will see? May of which year? Very disappointed we havn't strenghtened up front! We have not got the firepower to get out of this division! Everyone can see it why can't McCall? I can't believe fans would be happy to have McCall as manager for another year in division 2! Utter numpties! If I did my job as bad as McCall i would have been sacked a year ago![/p][/quote]I dont see how you could get sacked old pal i asume you collect trolleys at tesco in cleckeaton and even the poles dont wanr yoyr job !! the general 81-86
  • Score: 0

9:51pm Thu 26 Mar 09

the general 81-86 says...

shaun from richmond wrote:
GREAT NEWS!!! McCall will not be wasting any more money! Then once the seasons over hes promised to quit! Roll on next season with a new coach!!
same old boring sheep shagging leeds fan
[quote][p][bold]shaun from richmond[/bold] wrote: GREAT NEWS!!! McCall will not be wasting any more money! Then once the seasons over hes promised to quit! Roll on next season with a new coach!![/p][/quote]same old boring sheep shagging leeds fan the general 81-86
  • Score: 0

9:02am Fri 27 Mar 09

Waynus71 says...

the general 81-86 wrote:
Spenvalleyspartan wrote:
IvybridgeBantam wrote: Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams.
Windass back at Valley Parade. Don't make me laugh! McCall can't manage the players he has now nevermind a strong character like Windass! As for you the General having a go at folk who bring to everyones attention McCalls failings why don't you go and put your Rose tinted specs back on! Not that anyone needs to points his failings out! Maybe even your Rose tinted specs have failed! What was that a few months ago? Lets wait till May and people will see? May of which year? Very disappointed we havn't strenghtened up front! We have not got the firepower to get out of this division! Everyone can see it why can't McCall? I can't believe fans would be happy to have McCall as manager for another year in division 2! Utter numpties! If I did my job as bad as McCall i would have been sacked a year ago!
I dont see how you could get sacked old pal i asume you collect trolleys at tesco in cleckeaton and even the poles dont wanr yoyr job !!
Why do you constantly have a go at anyone that doesn't agree with your blinkered views that McCall is going to be successful?

You say I am boring. Fair point, but your 'rose tinted, everything is perfect attitude' is also getting boring.

Yes, support your team, but don't have a go at those that have become disillusioned with the lack of progress under McCall!!

We are all supporters of Bradford City AFC, even if not everyone supports McCall!
[quote][p][bold]the general 81-86[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Spenvalleyspartan[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IvybridgeBantam[/bold] wrote: Certainly think that Stuart has missed a great opportunity to bring in Windass on short term deal. I believe he is back at Hull playing in reserves. Would have given us increased options up front with his nous and use of the ball. At this level he would in my opinion have given defenders a torrid time. Anyway, we go with what we have got, where will it take us ?. we wait with baited breath, it is nice to have a potential promotion race to look forward to rather than a relegation dogfight or mid table nothingness. Good luck city for the run in and best wished to all true city followers everywhere. Up the bantams. [/p][/quote]Windass back at Valley Parade. Don't make me laugh! McCall can't manage the players he has now nevermind a strong character like Windass! As for you the General having a go at folk who bring to everyones attention McCalls failings why don't you go and put your Rose tinted specs back on! Not that anyone needs to points his failings out! Maybe even your Rose tinted specs have failed! What was that a few months ago? Lets wait till May and people will see? May of which year? Very disappointed we havn't strenghtened up front! We have not got the firepower to get out of this division! Everyone can see it why can't McCall? I can't believe fans would be happy to have McCall as manager for another year in division 2! Utter numpties! If I did my job as bad as McCall i would have been sacked a year ago![/p][/quote]I dont see how you could get sacked old pal i asume you collect trolleys at tesco in cleckeaton and even the poles dont wanr yoyr job !![/p][/quote]Why do you constantly have a go at anyone that doesn't agree with your blinkered views that McCall is going to be successful? You say I am boring. Fair point, but your 'rose tinted, everything is perfect attitude' is also getting boring. Yes, support your team, but don't have a go at those that have become disillusioned with the lack of progress under McCall!! We are all supporters of Bradford City AFC, even if not everyone supports McCall! Waynus71
  • Score: 0

10:40am Fri 27 Mar 09

s.b.c says...

It,s very easy to understand the doom and gloom posted by many supporters.

After a very good start to the season, which made me very optimistic, I now find it very difficult to accept the present football being played, or perhaps, the lack of it.

I am going to with-hold council, and hope something can be salvaged from a season, sadly going wrong.

Yes I am going to Chester. Yes i am going to Morecambe. Yes I have bought new season ticket.
It,s very easy to understand the doom and gloom posted by many supporters. After a very good start to the season, which made me very optimistic, I now find it very difficult to accept the present football being played, or perhaps, the lack of it. I am going to with-hold council, and hope something can be salvaged from a season, sadly going wrong. Yes I am going to Chester. Yes i am going to Morecambe. Yes I have bought new season ticket. s.b.c
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree