Bradford Bulls relegated from Super League

Bulls coach Jimmy Lowes

Bulls coach Jimmy Lowes

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford Bulls Reporter

Huddersfield Giants 52 Bradford Bulls 26

BRADFORD Bulls were today relegated from Super League for the first time in the club’s history after falling to defeat at neighbours Huddersfield.

The club’s fate was sealed after they lost an error-strewn encounter but they at least went down fighting, as Jimmy Lowes promised when he took the reins last month.

Luke George, recalled to the side in his first appearance since Lowes took charge, scored twice against his former club during an evenly-balanced opening 40 minutes.

But Paul Anderson’s side, who included six former Bradford players in their line-up, were ultimately too strong at the stadium where the Bulls’ last trophy was won in the 2006 World Club Challenge against Wests Tigers.

The Bulls will now ply their trade in the Championship next season in what will be their first campaign outside the top flight since 1974.

The club’s demotion caps a disastrous year in which they entered administration for the second time in 18 months and lost key players and were docked six points as a consequence.

George took a pass from Luke Gale to put Bradford ahead but Huddersfield were soon level when Jake Connor powered over the line from close range.

Adam O’Brien then darted over to restore the Bulls’ lead but the Giants soon struck again through Ukuma Ta’ai.

George the collected a crossfield kick from Lee Gaskell to score his second in the right corner but three more home tries from Luke Robinson, Chris Bailey and Jermaine McGillvary put Huddersfield 26-16 up at the break.

Brett Kearney replied for the Bulls straight after the restart but Brett Ferres then added a sixth home try from Robinson’s short pass.

Joe Wardle, who was nurtured in the Bradford academy, then raced 60 metres to score before McGillvary plunged over in the right corner his second and then completed his hat-trick soon after.

The Bulls struck again when Kearney grabbed his second in front of the 500 or so travelling supporters, who sang with gusto throughout on an emotional afternoon which saw Ta’ai complete his brace in the closing stages.

Last month the Bulls said they planned to take their six-point penalty for entering administration to the High Court but they now seem likely to shelve that course of action.

With London Broncos having been demoted last weekend, Bradford have now filled the second relegation spot and must prepare to rebuild their squad ahead of potential trips to places such as Dewsbury, Featherstone, Halifax and Batley next season.

Comments (31)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:24pm Sun 20 Jul 14

poppastratton says...

Relegation did seem inevitable however we still have a club which, not too long ago, didn't seem to be possible. Accept our fate, fight on and comeback up next season and, most importantly, stay up and not as a Yoyo clu.
Relegation did seem inevitable however we still have a club which, not too long ago, didn't seem to be possible. Accept our fate, fight on and comeback up next season and, most importantly, stay up and not as a Yoyo clu. poppastratton
  • Score: 26

5:45pm Sun 20 Jul 14

fedupwiththeBS says...

a sad day but then as Green has not invested in the club it was always on the cards.

Lets use the rest of the season to build a squad to compete in the Championship as it is not going to be a simple cash of bouncing back up.

We should now find out what players are going to nail their colours to the Club mast and stay on board for next season and which like Gale have decided enough is enough.
a sad day but then as Green has not invested in the club it was always on the cards. Lets use the rest of the season to build a squad to compete in the Championship as it is not going to be a simple cash of bouncing back up. We should now find out what players are going to nail their colours to the Club mast and stay on board for next season and which like Gale have decided enough is enough. fedupwiththeBS
  • Score: 0

5:45pm Sun 20 Jul 14

bank top bantam says...

nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on
nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on bank top bantam
  • Score: 1

5:50pm Sun 20 Jul 14

m.r.c says...

The bulls have given me so many good memories over the years but today is a sad day. Will we get back into super league ? It's going to be very tough if not impossible given the financial handicap but next season is our best hope.
The bulls have given me so many good memories over the years but today is a sad day. Will we get back into super league ? It's going to be very tough if not impossible given the financial handicap but next season is our best hope. m.r.c
  • Score: 18

6:18pm Sun 20 Jul 14

blue marlin says...

Went today and got to say the better team won but the bulls fans were a credit to the club and the city.
Don't think it would have effected the outcome of the game but some shocking refereeing.
Went today and got to say the better team won but the bulls fans were a credit to the club and the city. Don't think it would have effected the outcome of the game but some shocking refereeing. blue marlin
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Paul from Idle says...

When Huddersfield went down they maintained a super league side Greene won't invest over the cap employ players wives outside the club spend 1:2M plus. It's the only way one shot, or fans will drift
When Huddersfield went down they maintained a super league side Greene won't invest over the cap employ players wives outside the club spend 1:2M plus. It's the only way one shot, or fans will drift Paul from Idle
  • Score: -1

6:26pm Sun 20 Jul 14

axelf1963 says...

I have not seen any improvement since green took over and latterly since lowes too over.
Just saying
I have not seen any improvement since green took over and latterly since lowes too over. Just saying axelf1963
  • Score: -14

6:49pm Sun 20 Jul 14

1964gc says...

axelf1963 wrote:
I have not seen any improvement since green took over and latterly since lowes too over.
Just saying
Totally disagree,though lowes would have struggled like Cummins did too
[quote][p][bold]axelf1963[/bold] wrote: I have not seen any improvement since green took over and latterly since lowes too over. Just saying[/p][/quote]Totally disagree,though lowes would have struggled like Cummins did too 1964gc
  • Score: -2

6:55pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Worstbus says...

BULLY BULLLLYYYYY!!!!!

See ya, cheating low life.

HAHAHAHAHAHA......
BULLY BULLLLYYYYY!!!!! See ya, cheating low life. HAHAHAHAHAHA...... Worstbus
  • Score: -22

7:24pm Sun 20 Jul 14

bingleybantam says...

Really feel for the Bulls fans today. You have been let down by a long list of charlatans who have ripped off the fans, debtors, council & tax payers for years. Time to take stock, rebuild & come back stronger & run the business side with your means, just like City did & continue to do.
Really feel for the Bulls fans today. You have been let down by a long list of charlatans who have ripped off the fans, debtors, council & tax payers for years. Time to take stock, rebuild & come back stronger & run the business side with your means, just like City did & continue to do. bingleybantam
  • Score: 10

7:24pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Viking, your boys took one hell of a beating but due to parachute payments you can still belt out a verse of we're in the money.
Viking, your boys took one hell of a beating but due to parachute payments you can still belt out a verse of we're in the money. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -4

8:01pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Pablo says...

Today finally confirmed what most of us savvy fans knew before the season started.

I didn't think we'd survive so that's a plus.

It's not the end of the world and I wish JL all the best for next season and am confident in his ability to be able to change our fortunes.

I'm expecting a high profile casualty as we cut our cloth accordingly.
Today finally confirmed what most of us savvy fans knew before the season started. I didn't think we'd survive so that's a plus. It's not the end of the world and I wish JL all the best for next season and am confident in his ability to be able to change our fortunes. I'm expecting a high profile casualty as we cut our cloth accordingly. Pablo
  • Score: 2

8:08pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Forever-Bfd says...

The odds of staying up was always stacked against us the points deduction was not the so much the problem, taking away half the money and then sharing out with the other clubs was. IF and I say again iF a Championship side does manage to get promoted. With the extra cash and marque players coming in the top teams in super league will always have an advantage. Wouldn't it be great if all the championship sides won the play off games. There would be a few red faces :)
The odds of staying up was always stacked against us the points deduction was not the so much the problem, taking away half the money and then sharing out with the other clubs was. IF and I say again iF a Championship side does manage to get promoted. With the extra cash and marque players coming in the top teams in super league will always have an advantage. Wouldn't it be great if all the championship sides won the play off games. There would be a few red faces :) Forever-Bfd
  • Score: 0

8:11pm Sun 20 Jul 14

bullofbradford says...

bank top bantam wrote:
nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on
totally agree. we also need to know the role the council played in this debacle. current and previous owners need to be put on the spot. they have destroyed a great club!
[quote][p][bold]bank top bantam[/bold] wrote: nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on[/p][/quote]totally agree. we also need to know the role the council played in this debacle. current and previous owners need to be put on the spot. they have destroyed a great club! bullofbradford
  • Score: 10

8:16pm Sun 20 Jul 14

blue marlin says...

bullofbradford wrote:
bank top bantam wrote:
nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on
totally agree. we also need to know the role the council played in this debacle. current and previous owners need to be put on the spot. they have destroyed a great club!
Agree as we'll too many fibs
What happened to the high court back tracking on that?
[quote][p][bold]bullofbradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bank top bantam[/bold] wrote: nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on[/p][/quote]totally agree. we also need to know the role the council played in this debacle. current and previous owners need to be put on the spot. they have destroyed a great club![/p][/quote]Agree as we'll too many fibs What happened to the high court back tracking on that? blue marlin
  • Score: 4

8:29pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Shipley Paul says...

bullofbradford wrote:
bank top bantam wrote:
nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on
totally agree. we also need to know the role the council played in this debacle. current and previous owners need to be put on the spot. they have destroyed a great club!
I see your point, but they haven't destroyed a great club. We still have a club and providing the owners have ambition we can recover. We are NOT the only club to hit the buffers. Huddersfield have been in the championship as have Castleford and they are now both top 8 sides. There is no advantage in looking back, what's done is done, lets look forward to next season and enjoy the trips to Halifax, Featherstone and Leigh etc. Follow Jimmy's enthusiasm and get back on the horse!!!
[quote][p][bold]bullofbradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bank top bantam[/bold] wrote: nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on[/p][/quote]totally agree. we also need to know the role the council played in this debacle. current and previous owners need to be put on the spot. they have destroyed a great club![/p][/quote]I see your point, but they haven't destroyed a great club. We still have a club and providing the owners have ambition we can recover. We are NOT the only club to hit the buffers. Huddersfield have been in the championship as have Castleford and they are now both top 8 sides. There is no advantage in looking back, what's done is done, lets look forward to next season and enjoy the trips to Halifax, Featherstone and Leigh etc. Follow Jimmy's enthusiasm and get back on the horse!!! Shipley Paul
  • Score: 7

8:36pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Its Granola - Granola says...

bank top bantam wrote:
nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on
We Invented it !!!!!!!!.
[quote][p][bold]bank top bantam[/bold] wrote: nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on[/p][/quote]We Invented it !!!!!!!!. Its Granola - Granola
  • Score: 6

9:14pm Sun 20 Jul 14

bigwoz says...

we now need to concentrate on getting a team for next year and getting back up to where we belong. This is only an obstacle that we will get round. #TheBullsWillSurvive
we now need to concentrate on getting a team for next year and getting back up to where we belong. This is only an obstacle that we will get round. #TheBullsWillSurvive bigwoz
  • Score: -1

9:50pm Sun 20 Jul 14

the scorpion says...

Bradford fails again! No sympathy whatsoever! The Dulls utter financial incompetance and persistent intransigence over the alternative use of Odsal beggars belief! Lowes carps on about Plan B and crowds of 4k? Well you can all get on with it now then..
Bradford fails again! No sympathy whatsoever! The Dulls utter financial incompetance and persistent intransigence over the alternative use of Odsal beggars belief! Lowes carps on about Plan B and crowds of 4k? Well you can all get on with it now then.. the scorpion
  • Score: -13

10:02pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Mumby was the best says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Viking, your boys took one hell of a beating but due to parachute payments you can still belt out a verse of we're in the money.
just a thought will your boys the Cougars be in the money due to a parachute payment if the worst happens? I sincerely hope they dont have to because unlike you i am a genuine RL fan who takes no satisfaction in anothers teams downfall with the exception of small minded pedantic people like you who gloat at other fans who have no control of the team they support other than being genuine fans.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Viking, your boys took one hell of a beating but due to parachute payments you can still belt out a verse of we're in the money.[/p][/quote]just a thought will your boys the Cougars be in the money due to a parachute payment if the worst happens? I sincerely hope they dont have to because unlike you i am a genuine RL fan who takes no satisfaction in anothers teams downfall with the exception of small minded pedantic people like you who gloat at other fans who have no control of the team they support other than being genuine fans. Mumby was the best
  • Score: 6

10:36pm Sun 20 Jul 14

dorny1971 says...

axelf1963 wrote:
I have not seen any improvement since green took over and latterly since lowes too over.
Just saying
That would be because he doesn't have a magic wand or several million pounds down the back of his sofa.

Give the guy a break - his job for this season was always a poisoned chalice. His job begins in earnest in rebuilding the team to try to regain a place in the super league next year.

Always amazes me when people expect to see immediate results, especially in light of the financial situation. Suppose we could try to get a few superstars in on a shoestring budget? Get real and don't blame JL - the problems started well before he arrived and it's gonna take a monumental effort and possibly more than just next year to get us back to super league status. Being impatient won't help.
[quote][p][bold]axelf1963[/bold] wrote: I have not seen any improvement since green took over and latterly since lowes too over. Just saying[/p][/quote]That would be because he doesn't have a magic wand or several million pounds down the back of his sofa. Give the guy a break - his job for this season was always a poisoned chalice. His job begins in earnest in rebuilding the team to try to regain a place in the super league next year. Always amazes me when people expect to see immediate results, especially in light of the financial situation. Suppose we could try to get a few superstars in on a shoestring budget? Get real and don't blame JL - the problems started well before he arrived and it's gonna take a monumental effort and possibly more than just next year to get us back to super league status. Being impatient won't help. dorny1971
  • Score: 3

10:46pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Bone_idle18 says...

Worstbus wrote:
BULLY BULLLLYYYYY!!!!!

See ya, cheating low life.

HAHAHAHAHAHA......
Cnut!
[quote][p][bold]Worstbus[/bold] wrote: BULLY BULLLLYYYYY!!!!! See ya, cheating low life. HAHAHAHAHAHA......[/p][/quote]Cnut! Bone_idle18
  • Score: 4

10:53pm Sun 20 Jul 14

1964gc says...

Pablo wrote:
Today finally confirmed what most of us savvy fans knew before the season started.

I didn't think we'd survive so that's a plus.

It's not the end of the world and I wish JL all the best for next season and am confident in his ability to be able to change our fortunes.

I'm expecting a high profile casualty as we cut our cloth accordingly.
Fingers crossed its sick note,........son
[quote][p][bold]Pablo[/bold] wrote: Today finally confirmed what most of us savvy fans knew before the season started. I didn't think we'd survive so that's a plus. It's not the end of the world and I wish JL all the best for next season and am confident in his ability to be able to change our fortunes. I'm expecting a high profile casualty as we cut our cloth accordingly.[/p][/quote]Fingers crossed its sick note,........son 1964gc
  • Score: 0

11:16pm Sun 20 Jul 14

basil fawlty says...

bigwoz wrote:
we now need to concentrate on getting a team for next year and getting back up to where we belong. This is only an obstacle that we will get round. #TheBullsWillSurvive
Nice enthusiasm but nobody belongs in SL apart from the teams that are good enough.
[quote][p][bold]bigwoz[/bold] wrote: we now need to concentrate on getting a team for next year and getting back up to where we belong. This is only an obstacle that we will get round. #TheBullsWillSurvive[/p][/quote]Nice enthusiasm but nobody belongs in SL apart from the teams that are good enough. basil fawlty
  • Score: -1

11:16pm Sun 20 Jul 14

bradfordbronco says...

Weren't we told that bringing back relegation would end meaningless fixtures at the end of the season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there still 6 games left? Reason no 1 for the new systems looks to have failed.

Reason No 2 Was to increase interest among fans. Looking at the attendance figures in SL this season this also seems to have failed.

What were the other reasons for scrapping the 3 year franchise system? Lets hope they were good ones for the sake of the sport because so far its not looking too good.
Weren't we told that bringing back relegation would end meaningless fixtures at the end of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there still 6 games left? Reason no 1 for the new systems looks to have failed. Reason No 2 Was to increase interest among fans. Looking at the attendance figures in SL this season this also seems to have failed. What were the other reasons for scrapping the 3 year franchise system? Lets hope they were good ones for the sake of the sport because so far its not looking too good. bradfordbronco
  • Score: 0

11:53pm Sun 20 Jul 14

Forever-Bfd says...

Sick note staying I'm afraid !! Glad about Gaskell
Sick note staying I'm afraid !! Glad about Gaskell Forever-Bfd
  • Score: 0

7:07am Mon 21 Jul 14

Sheffieldbull says...

I'm as disappointed as anyone that Dale's been unable to play this season, but given fitness he is pure quality, make no mistake! Good on them both. Much more to come. COYBs!
I'm as disappointed as anyone that Dale's been unable to play this season, but given fitness he is pure quality, make no mistake! Good on them both. Much more to come. COYBs! Sheffieldbull
  • Score: 1

7:36am Mon 21 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
Weren't we told that bringing back relegation would end meaningless fixtures at the end of the season.

Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there still 6 games left? Reason no 1 for the new systems looks to have failed.

Reason No 2 Was to increase interest among fans. Looking at the attendance figures in SL this season this also seems to have failed.

What were the other reasons for scrapping the 3 year franchise system? Lets hope they were good ones for the sake of the sport because so far its not looking too good.
Bulls have gone bust twice and now are miles behind the rest of super league. Even if licences still existed, Bulls shouldn't get one.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: Weren't we told that bringing back relegation would end meaningless fixtures at the end of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there still 6 games left? Reason no 1 for the new systems looks to have failed. Reason No 2 Was to increase interest among fans. Looking at the attendance figures in SL this season this also seems to have failed. What were the other reasons for scrapping the 3 year franchise system? Lets hope they were good ones for the sake of the sport because so far its not looking too good.[/p][/quote]Bulls have gone bust twice and now are miles behind the rest of super league. Even if licences still existed, Bulls shouldn't get one. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 2

9:05am Mon 21 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
bradfordbronco wrote: Weren't we told that bringing back relegation would end meaningless fixtures at the end of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there still 6 games left? Reason no 1 for the new systems looks to have failed. Reason No 2 Was to increase interest among fans. Looking at the attendance figures in SL this season this also seems to have failed. What were the other reasons for scrapping the 3 year franchise system? Lets hope they were good ones for the sake of the sport because so far its not looking too good.
Bulls have gone bust twice and now are miles behind the rest of super league. Even if licences still existed, Bulls shouldn't get one.
Super League will continue without the Bulls. 500 went to Huddersfield yesterday, it's not like clubs are losing a massive wedge from the travelling support is it.

This isn't working because the Bulls got relegated. If Wakefield were down, no doubt Bronco would think this the best thing since Omar Khan left the club in a better position.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: Weren't we told that bringing back relegation would end meaningless fixtures at the end of the season. Correct me if I'm wrong, aren't there still 6 games left? Reason no 1 for the new systems looks to have failed. Reason No 2 Was to increase interest among fans. Looking at the attendance figures in SL this season this also seems to have failed. What were the other reasons for scrapping the 3 year franchise system? Lets hope they were good ones for the sake of the sport because so far its not looking too good.[/p][/quote]Bulls have gone bust twice and now are miles behind the rest of super league. Even if licences still existed, Bulls shouldn't get one.[/p][/quote]Super League will continue without the Bulls. 500 went to Huddersfield yesterday, it's not like clubs are losing a massive wedge from the travelling support is it. This isn't working because the Bulls got relegated. If Wakefield were down, no doubt Bronco would think this the best thing since Omar Khan left the club in a better position. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 1

3:03am Tue 22 Jul 14

axelf1963 says...

They take 12k to matches TVOR didn't you know ?
They take 12k to matches TVOR didn't you know ? axelf1963
  • Score: 0

6:38pm Sat 26 Jul 14

raisemeup says...

bank top bantam wrote:
nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on
I could tell you a story chapter and verse of when it started to go wrong, and the decisions leading up to the unfolding of the finaces at the club, even the rough timing of the rot setting in> What I can't tell you is what was in the minds of the decision makers! Everyone has a story to tell and collectively when added together we may get the truth, with all the villains and saints/saviours each playing a part, which you or me might want to hear! However my truth is maybe what you will consider a lie, and of course visa versa...so my advice, which I'm going to have to take myself, is lets move on and make our club the best in the land once more? Because they (RFL and SL clubs) haven't realised what's been lost to the game, let's hope there is someone like Peter Deakin, Chris Caisley, and yes , Maurice Lyndsey who has the vision and foresight to once again build the League structures in the way they should be built, with fairness integrity and above all honesty, whilst getting rid of anyone with only self interest as their god!
[quote][p][bold]bank top bantam[/bold] wrote: nows the time for the truth of why this club has got to the stage we are playing outside super league when we invented it because lies are no longer what we want to hear,the ground ,board,and game day entertainment are pathetic tells us whats really going on[/p][/quote]I could tell you a story chapter and verse of when it started to go wrong, and the decisions leading up to the unfolding of the finaces at the club, even the rough timing of the rot setting in> What I can't tell you is what was in the minds of the decision makers! Everyone has a story to tell and collectively when added together we may get the truth, with all the villains and saints/saviours each playing a part, which you or me might want to hear! However my truth is maybe what you will consider a lie, and of course visa versa...so my advice, which I'm going to have to take myself, is lets move on and make our club the best in the land once more? Because they (RFL and SL clubs) haven't realised what's been lost to the game, let's hope there is someone like Peter Deakin, Chris Caisley, and yes , Maurice Lyndsey who has the vision and foresight to once again build the League structures in the way they should be built, with fairness integrity and above all honesty, whilst getting rid of anyone with only self interest as their god! raisemeup
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree