SIX feet under! Points deduction stands but relegation would not mean the death of Bradford Bulls

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: The grey clouds are hanging over Odsal after news that the club's six-point penalty stands The grey clouds are hanging over Odsal after news that the club's six-point penalty stands

The prognosis is not good.

Quite simply, the Bulls now need a small miracle to survive relegation from Super League.

The thought that such a famous sporting institution could even find themselves in this predicament would have seemed implausible in the not-too-distant past.

As the news emerged shortly before 6pm last night that Bradford’s points appeal had failed, an air of resignation prevailed.

It felt like a step closer to the end.

Not the end of the Bulls, but certainly the end of the club in the top flight.

Owner and chairman Marc Green was forced to digest that grim prospect at a club barbeque at Odsal last night.

The event was organised as an informal social gathering for Francis Cummins’ players, staff and directors.

Only there was no celebration. Far from it.

How could there be when all that hope of winning back points had been ended?

Green, who by his own admission oversaw the club’s move into administration earlier this year, is now in danger of taking them into the Championship.

It would be quite some legacy for a man who became involved with the Bulls when he lent the club money to help pay wages last autumn.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of why and how the administration occurred, and you sense the blame game is far from over, there is no denying it has proved hugely damaging.

For a start, it led to the club’s best prop (Nick Scruton), most creative force (Jarrod Sammut) and marquee signing (Garreth Carvell) all departing.

The six-point penalty has hung heavy around Cummins’ players since it was confirmed on February 25, prompting a trio of former directors to walk away from their bid to buy the club.

That gave Green an opportunity to buy it himself and he took it.

Some supporters believe Green has not invested the necessary money in Cummins’ squad; that he did not go out and show his intention by buying players.

The club say it is difficult to sign players during the season, so the bulk of the signings have been loans, a number of whom made an impact before being recalled to their parent club.

With twelve matches remaining, the Bulls are not dead and buried yet but you do have to wonder what effect the failed points appeal will have on Cummins’ players.

The Bulls coach himself was typically upbeat last night, taking calls from journalists and talking about staying up.

Such positivity is to be applauded but perhaps relegation need not be so disastrous anyway.

Teams such as Harlequins and Northampton were demoted from rugby union’s top flight, rebuilt from the bottom and came back immediately and, crucially, stronger.

In 2005, Harlequins went down after finishing at the bottom of the Premiership.

A year later, they were back in the top flight after winning 25 of their 26 league matches.

Northampton were even more formidable in bouncing straight back – and look at these two clubs now.

Harlequins were champions in 2012 and Northampton claimed that crown when beating Saracens in last month’s Premiership final at Twickenham.

It shows what can be done from rebuilding a club from the wreckage of a relegation.

It is also worth noting that if the Bulls are relegated, it will get £780,000 in central distribution next season.

That is more than the £600,000 it has received this season and last after agreeing to forgo half of their £1.2million for two years when Omar Khan bought the club out of administration in September 2012.

Many Bulls fans are already bracing themselves for life in the Championship next season and potential trips to Leigh, Featherstone, Dewsbury and Whitehaven plus a derby at Cougar Park.

Encouragingly, Green says he is in it for the long haul and seems to have developed a taste for life as rugby league club owner, standing with fans in front of the television cameras on Sunday.

Whether he is willing or able to rebuild the club in the Championship and return it to the top flight remains to be seen.

If Cummins and his men cannot avoid a bottom-two finish, and the odds are stacked heavily against them, that could soon be the challenge facing the Bulls chairman.

Comments (24)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:00am Thu 12 Jun 14

monobrow man says...

Our crowds won't be much worse in the championship. 3000 season tickets will get sold plus the pay on the day supporters are more likely to come watch a winning side. With the 700 000 we should be able to keep addy olbison Donaldson George who should be good enough to get us back up
Our crowds won't be much worse in the championship. 3000 season tickets will get sold plus the pay on the day supporters are more likely to come watch a winning side. With the 700 000 we should be able to keep addy olbison Donaldson George who should be good enough to get us back up monobrow man
  • Score: 3

8:06am Thu 12 Jun 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place.
5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.
Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -3

8:30am Thu 12 Jun 14

Van Bellen's Baby says...

An unusually thoughtful and reflective article (for the T & A). I think the problem with the idea that a spell in the lower tier could do us good and we will bounce straight back stronger is that history suggests it is not as simple as that. Widnes, HKR, and Leigh are recent yo-yoers between the two leagues and the latter didn't even make it stick eventually and they built a new stadium too! Widnes have enjoyed the luxury of a wealthy owner, happy to lose money each year and by the way so have the two RU team boards Ross mentions, who also receive significant foreign and blue chip company sponsorship (and much higher TV revenues). Catalans had successive years as the wooden spooners and it took them several seasons - in which they would have been in the Championship had relegation been in place - to make their stay in SL stick. To be frank and miserable on a Thursday morning, I don't particularly see great joy or novelty in the list of away venues mentioned in the article and one of them might not apply anyway because they might have taken our place in SL.
An unusually thoughtful and reflective article (for the T & A). I think the problem with the idea that a spell in the lower tier could do us good and we will bounce straight back stronger is that history suggests it is not as simple as that. Widnes, HKR, and Leigh are recent yo-yoers between the two leagues and the latter didn't even make it stick eventually and they built a new stadium too! Widnes have enjoyed the luxury of a wealthy owner, happy to lose money each year and by the way so have the two RU team boards Ross mentions, who also receive significant foreign and blue chip company sponsorship (and much higher TV revenues). Catalans had successive years as the wooden spooners and it took them several seasons - in which they would have been in the Championship had relegation been in place - to make their stay in SL stick. To be frank and miserable on a Thursday morning, I don't particularly see great joy or novelty in the list of away venues mentioned in the article and one of them might not apply anyway because they might have taken our place in SL. Van Bellen's Baby
  • Score: 5

9:28am Thu 12 Jun 14

flashdonut says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place.
5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.
How can this get down voted?
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.[/p][/quote]How can this get down voted? flashdonut
  • Score: -7

9:39am Thu 12 Jun 14

Bowlingboy says...

They should have concentrated on making the team stronger to survive than messing about with appeals at least Wakefield have made the effort of bringing reinforcements in.

The club has obviously been mismanaged for years,
But the latest fiasco can be layed at the door of the RFL for rubber stamping a deal selling to a fraudster who was obviously moving club funds out of the back door.

And still nobody has called for an investigation!
They should have concentrated on making the team stronger to survive than messing about with appeals at least Wakefield have made the effort of bringing reinforcements in. The club has obviously been mismanaged for years, But the latest fiasco can be layed at the door of the RFL for rubber stamping a deal selling to a fraudster who was obviously moving club funds out of the back door. And still nobody has called for an investigation! Bowlingboy
  • Score: 4

9:48am Thu 12 Jun 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

flashdonut wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.
How can this get down voted?
They don't like me for basing opinion and posts on facts. Many prefer to live in a fantasy land when everything is someone elses fault.

Like you I really don't know how stating that 5 get relegated from the Championship this year is voted down but each to their own.
[quote][p][bold]flashdonut[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.[/p][/quote]How can this get down voted?[/p][/quote]They don't like me for basing opinion and posts on facts. Many prefer to live in a fantasy land when everything is someone elses fault. Like you I really don't know how stating that 5 get relegated from the Championship this year is voted down but each to their own. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: -15

10:17am Thu 12 Jun 14

The Fat Lady Sings says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
flashdonut wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.
How can this get down voted?
They don't like me for basing opinion and posts on facts. Many prefer to live in a fantasy land when everything is someone elses fault.

Like you I really don't know how stating that 5 get relegated from the Championship this year is voted down but each to their own.
This a bad time for the Bulls. The supporters have to vent their spleen at someone. Mr Green is absolved although he put the club into administration, has paid the wages but has not invested a brass farthing into Odsal, players or otherwise. This long running saga has left supporters clutching for reasons but just getting excuses. When you have little time to live you should be making the most of it. Unfortunately, the Bulls will wallow in the shallows of misery until their light is finally expunged. You have always cited Khan as the nemesis but it is Hood (and McNamara) who is most culpable for the state we are currently in.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]flashdonut[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.[/p][/quote]How can this get down voted?[/p][/quote]They don't like me for basing opinion and posts on facts. Many prefer to live in a fantasy land when everything is someone elses fault. Like you I really don't know how stating that 5 get relegated from the Championship this year is voted down but each to their own.[/p][/quote]This a bad time for the Bulls. The supporters have to vent their spleen at someone. Mr Green is absolved although he put the club into administration, has paid the wages but has not invested a brass farthing into Odsal, players or otherwise. This long running saga has left supporters clutching for reasons but just getting excuses. When you have little time to live you should be making the most of it. Unfortunately, the Bulls will wallow in the shallows of misery until their light is finally expunged. You have always cited Khan as the nemesis but it is Hood (and McNamara) who is most culpable for the state we are currently in. The Fat Lady Sings
  • Score: 6

10:41am Thu 12 Jun 14

allannicho says...

Demotion is Always Bad News Dude!
Demotion is Always Bad News Dude! allannicho
  • Score: 2

11:30am Thu 12 Jun 14

raisemeup says...

flashdonut wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place.
5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.
How can this get down voted?
You are right TV, maybe Cougars will be OK in the Championship because if ant team deserve better, they do!
But it will be a sad day for 5 teams, which could include Batley. They will have a salary cap of £150 to £200 k, and that is definitely part time or amateur at best!
The Bulls will suffer the same fate but with a slim chance of survival, there isn't a chance that the RFL will change their minds on this.
It's going to be a costly experiment for our game, IMO.
[quote][p][bold]flashdonut[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.[/p][/quote]How can this get down voted?[/p][/quote]You are right TV, maybe Cougars will be OK in the Championship because if ant team deserve better, they do! But it will be a sad day for 5 teams, which could include Batley. They will have a salary cap of £150 to £200 k, and that is definitely part time or amateur at best! The Bulls will suffer the same fate but with a slim chance of survival, there isn't a chance that the RFL will change their minds on this. It's going to be a costly experiment for our game, IMO. raisemeup
  • Score: 4

11:30am Thu 12 Jun 14

raisemeup says...

flashdonut wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place.
5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.
How can this get down voted?
You are right TV, maybe Cougars will be OK in the Championship because if ant team deserve better, they do!
But it will be a sad day for 5 teams, which could include Batley. They will have a salary cap of £150 to £200 k, and that is definitely part time or amateur at best!
The Bulls will suffer the same fate but with a slim chance of survival, there isn't a chance that the RFL will change their minds on this.
It's going to be a costly experiment for our game, IMO.
[quote][p][bold]flashdonut[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Cougars still have to avoid relegation before any talk of a derby can take place. 5 teams get relegated from the Championship, thats over a 3rd of the league.[/p][/quote]How can this get down voted?[/p][/quote]You are right TV, maybe Cougars will be OK in the Championship because if ant team deserve better, they do! But it will be a sad day for 5 teams, which could include Batley. They will have a salary cap of £150 to £200 k, and that is definitely part time or amateur at best! The Bulls will suffer the same fate but with a slim chance of survival, there isn't a chance that the RFL will change their minds on this. It's going to be a costly experiment for our game, IMO. raisemeup
  • Score: 2

12:38pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Storck says...

Just wait till next year when those in Super League at the time decide to do away with relegation and promotion leaving Bulls out of the top league for ever
Just wait till next year when those in Super League at the time decide to do away with relegation and promotion leaving Bulls out of the top league for ever Storck
  • Score: 3

12:51pm Thu 12 Jun 14

bartsbull says...

First please note Peter Hood was absolved of any wrong doings regardng our club .
Marc Green is doing the right thing and getting the clubs finances in order we do not want a repeat of what as gone on in the past
Yes we may go down although like many i hope we can put a wining run together and stay up
But it will give us a chance to rebuild the club which at one point may have ceased to exsist so we have a lot to be grateful for
I hope we can hold on to some of the players if we go down we must build a team like Featherston are doing going after players from super league clubs they have tried to buy three from the Giants COYB
First please note Peter Hood was absolved of any wrong doings regardng our club . Marc Green is doing the right thing and getting the clubs finances in order we do not want a repeat of what as gone on in the past Yes we may go down although like many i hope we can put a wining run together and stay up But it will give us a chance to rebuild the club which at one point may have ceased to exsist so we have a lot to be grateful for I hope we can hold on to some of the players if we go down we must build a team like Featherston are doing going after players from super league clubs they have tried to buy three from the Giants COYB bartsbull
  • Score: 1

12:54pm Thu 12 Jun 14

WayneRouke says...

Bowlingboy wrote:
They should have concentrated on making the team stronger to survive than messing about with appeals at least Wakefield have made the effort of bringing reinforcements in.

The club has obviously been mismanaged for years,
But the latest fiasco can be layed at the door of the RFL for rubber stamping a deal selling to a fraudster who was obviously moving club funds out of the back door.

And still nobody has called for an investigation!
WHERE IS KHAN ?

AND Sutcliffe for that matter..

Thieving (Rik Mayals Surname in the New Statesman) that they are. IMO
[quote][p][bold]Bowlingboy[/bold] wrote: They should have concentrated on making the team stronger to survive than messing about with appeals at least Wakefield have made the effort of bringing reinforcements in. The club has obviously been mismanaged for years, But the latest fiasco can be layed at the door of the RFL for rubber stamping a deal selling to a fraudster who was obviously moving club funds out of the back door. And still nobody has called for an investigation![/p][/quote]WHERE IS KHAN ? AND Sutcliffe for that matter.. Thieving (Rik Mayals Surname in the New Statesman) that they are. IMO WayneRouke
  • Score: 1

1:07pm Thu 12 Jun 14

Paul from Idle says...

At least the parachute payment will pay the owner back his loan.....nice one
At least the parachute payment will pay the owner back his loan.....nice one Paul from Idle
  • Score: 6

3:15pm Thu 12 Jun 14

spanglishbull.uk says...

I think now is the time for Gerry Sutcliffe as a former M.P. for Bradford to come out and tell the story how he was persuaded to preside over the downfall of this once great club I.know Gerry has been a supporter of the club for quite a long time and must be greatly embarrassed by the part he has played in the club thus undermining the tremendous work done by the now departed Northern greats,Trevor Foster and Joe Phillips as well as thousands of genuine supporters over the years.Come on Gerry,make the statement and clear your name.Surely you do not want your name tarnishing in the way the clowns at R.F.L. have.
I think now is the time for Gerry Sutcliffe as a former M.P. for Bradford to come out and tell the story how he was persuaded to preside over the downfall of this once great club I.know Gerry has been a supporter of the club for quite a long time and must be greatly embarrassed by the part he has played in the club thus undermining the tremendous work done by the now departed Northern greats,Trevor Foster and Joe Phillips as well as thousands of genuine supporters over the years.Come on Gerry,make the statement and clear your name.Surely you do not want your name tarnishing in the way the clowns at R.F.L. have. spanglishbull.uk
  • Score: 5

3:52pm Thu 12 Jun 14

torreyman says...

Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!!
Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!! torreyman
  • Score: -3

4:04pm Thu 12 Jun 14

fedupwiththeBS says...

torreyman wrote:
Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!!
can't bring back speedway we have sold the safety barriers for scrap!
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!![/p][/quote]can't bring back speedway we have sold the safety barriers for scrap! fedupwiththeBS
  • Score: 5

8:06pm Thu 12 Jun 14

City gent says...

torreyman wrote:
Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!!
well said.
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!![/p][/quote]well said. City gent
  • Score: -2

10:50pm Thu 12 Jun 14

axelf1963 says...

Worth a lot as landfill site
Worth a lot as landfill site axelf1963
  • Score: -1

11:27pm Thu 12 Jun 14

portugalbull says...

axelf1963 wrote:
Worth a lot as landfill site
That would be a 1.25million loss to the RFL, Result.
The council own it.
[quote][p][bold]axelf1963[/bold] wrote: Worth a lot as landfill site[/p][/quote]That would be a 1.25million loss to the RFL, Result. The council own it. portugalbull
  • Score: 0

12:07am Fri 13 Jun 14

bradfordbronco says...

torreyman wrote:
Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!!
Switch to Rugby Union. RL is dyeing anyway. Its moving back into a part time Northern sport. The chance was missed in 1995 when SL started. We had a chance to establish the game a the nations no 1 summer sport. RU was struggling and their clubs were looking to run duel teams.

We should have broke away from the past and gone with mergers and established new teams in new areas. Instead we listened to the traditionalists, stayed a Northern game and starved the new clubs of media attention. RU got professional looked to the future and established itself as the major sport behind soccer.

I don't like RU I love RL. But to honest with some of the daft rules we keep bringing in and the way the sport is run I think Marc Green could do far worse than apply to join RU's lower leagues and work his way to the top rather than try to get back in SL which will be dead in 10 years time anyway
[quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!![/p][/quote]Switch to Rugby Union. RL is dyeing anyway. Its moving back into a part time Northern sport. The chance was missed in 1995 when SL started. We had a chance to establish the game a the nations no 1 summer sport. RU was struggling and their clubs were looking to run duel teams. We should have broke away from the past and gone with mergers and established new teams in new areas. Instead we listened to the traditionalists, stayed a Northern game and starved the new clubs of media attention. RU got professional looked to the future and established itself as the major sport behind soccer. I don't like RU I love RL. But to honest with some of the daft rules we keep bringing in and the way the sport is run I think Marc Green could do far worse than apply to join RU's lower leagues and work his way to the top rather than try to get back in SL which will be dead in 10 years time anyway bradfordbronco
  • Score: 2

1:13am Fri 13 Jun 14

portugalbull says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
torreyman wrote:
Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!!
Switch to Rugby Union. RL is dyeing anyway. Its moving back into a part time Northern sport. The chance was missed in 1995 when SL started. We had a chance to establish the game a the nations no 1 summer sport. RU was struggling and their clubs were looking to run duel teams.

We should have broke away from the past and gone with mergers and established new teams in new areas. Instead we listened to the traditionalists, stayed a Northern game and starved the new clubs of media attention. RU got professional looked to the future and established itself as the major sport behind soccer.

I don't like RU I love RL. But to honest with some of the daft rules we keep bringing in and the way the sport is run I think Marc Green could do far worse than apply to join RU's lower leagues and work his way to the top rather than try to get back in SL which will be dead in 10 years time anyway
There was talk some years ago of buying Wakefield RU and having them rebranded and playing as Odsal, but nothing happened.
Like you prefer RL but with the RFL in charge the only way it will continue is Sky paying all costs with minimal crowds. Sorry that's how it is now! Evidence Hudds v Wigan top game had same size crowd as Bulls v London. RFL can't even find sponsors despite the successful World Cup.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!![/p][/quote]Switch to Rugby Union. RL is dyeing anyway. Its moving back into a part time Northern sport. The chance was missed in 1995 when SL started. We had a chance to establish the game a the nations no 1 summer sport. RU was struggling and their clubs were looking to run duel teams. We should have broke away from the past and gone with mergers and established new teams in new areas. Instead we listened to the traditionalists, stayed a Northern game and starved the new clubs of media attention. RU got professional looked to the future and established itself as the major sport behind soccer. I don't like RU I love RL. But to honest with some of the daft rules we keep bringing in and the way the sport is run I think Marc Green could do far worse than apply to join RU's lower leagues and work his way to the top rather than try to get back in SL which will be dead in 10 years time anyway[/p][/quote]There was talk some years ago of buying Wakefield RU and having them rebranded and playing as Odsal, but nothing happened. Like you prefer RL but with the RFL in charge the only way it will continue is Sky paying all costs with minimal crowds. Sorry that's how it is now! Evidence Hudds v Wigan top game had same size crowd as Bulls v London. RFL can't even find sponsors despite the successful World Cup. portugalbull
  • Score: 2

7:52am Fri 13 Jun 14

spanglishbull.uk says...

I have been saying it for ages.R.L. is a professional sport run by out and out amateurs.As you say,the World Cup was a success but it was not down to them,an outside company did everything.This present set up at R.L. would not have had a clue how to run a p*** up in a brewery never mind a World Cup.Mind you the big man knows all about breweries.They should all resign and disappear into,"The clear blue waters" he is always on about,whatever that means.As other posters have said the game is going down the pan with these jokers in charge.I will admit I am wrong if anybody can tell me what good they have ever done for the game.
I have been saying it for ages.R.L. is a professional sport run by out and out amateurs.As you say,the World Cup was a success but it was not down to them,an outside company did everything.This present set up at R.L. would not have had a clue how to run a p*** up in a brewery never mind a World Cup.Mind you the big man knows all about breweries.They should all resign and disappear into,"The clear blue waters" he is always on about,whatever that means.As other posters have said the game is going down the pan with these jokers in charge.I will admit I am wrong if anybody can tell me what good they have ever done for the game. spanglishbull.uk
  • Score: 3

8:09am Fri 13 Jun 14

Sad bull says...

bradfordbronco wrote:
torreyman wrote:
Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!!
Switch to Rugby Union. RL is dyeing anyway. Its moving back into a part time Northern sport. The chance was missed in 1995 when SL started. We had a chance to establish the game a the nations no 1 summer sport. RU was struggling and their clubs were looking to run duel teams.

We should have broke away from the past and gone with mergers and established new teams in new areas. Instead we listened to the traditionalists, stayed a Northern game and starved the new clubs of media attention. RU got professional looked to the future and established itself as the major sport behind soccer.

I don't like RU I love RL. But to honest with some of the daft rules we keep bringing in and the way the sport is run I think Marc Green could do far worse than apply to join RU's lower leagues and work his way to the top rather than try to get back in SL which will be dead in 10 years time anyway
You are absolutely right. It was interesting to see that the combined attendances for last weeks four challenge cup quarter finals was less than the average weekly gate for the majority of premiership R U games last season.

RL needs a complete clear out as RU did a few years back when the game went professional. Now it's run by professionals with all the skills needed to make it a global game. Compare that set up to the lot at Red Hall and nothing more needs saying really.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordbronco[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]torreyman[/bold] wrote: Forget rugby bring back speedway!!!!!![/p][/quote]Switch to Rugby Union. RL is dyeing anyway. Its moving back into a part time Northern sport. The chance was missed in 1995 when SL started. We had a chance to establish the game a the nations no 1 summer sport. RU was struggling and their clubs were looking to run duel teams. We should have broke away from the past and gone with mergers and established new teams in new areas. Instead we listened to the traditionalists, stayed a Northern game and starved the new clubs of media attention. RU got professional looked to the future and established itself as the major sport behind soccer. I don't like RU I love RL. But to honest with some of the daft rules we keep bringing in and the way the sport is run I think Marc Green could do far worse than apply to join RU's lower leagues and work his way to the top rather than try to get back in SL which will be dead in 10 years time anyway[/p][/quote]You are absolutely right. It was interesting to see that the combined attendances for last weeks four challenge cup quarter finals was less than the average weekly gate for the majority of premiership R U games last season. RL needs a complete clear out as RU did a few years back when the game went professional. Now it's run by professionals with all the skills needed to make it a global game. Compare that set up to the lot at Red Hall and nothing more needs saying really. Sad bull
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree