Not best friends: Bantams assistant Steve Parkin on Rotherham rivalry

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: DERBY FOES: City boss Phil Parkinson has words with Rotherham’s Paul Raynor in a previous encounter between the sides DERBY FOES: City boss Phil Parkinson has words with Rotherham’s Paul Raynor in a previous encounter between the sides

City go toe-to-toe once more with Rotherham and nemesis Steve Evans on live TV tonight, admitting: We don’t get on.

Phil Parkinson has lost all six of his encounters against the Millers as Bantams boss – as well as every time they have faced Evans in the opposing dug-out.

City number two Steve Parkin, who was sent off at Valley Parade last season after a touchline row with Rotherham assistant Paul Raynor, concedes there is no love lost between the two coaching teams.

Parkin said: “We don’t get on but they’re no different to us really. They want to win and that’s all that matters.

“My hand will be there to be shaken afterwards – it’s whether or not they want to. But that’s up to them.

“The important thing is we’re representing our division. We’ve got two really good clubs who’ve come a long way in the last 18 months.

“It’s a good spectacle for people. We were on the telly plenty of times last year and it’s always nice.

“We’ve got a lot of respect for Rotherham as a team and a club. They got promoted and look like they are going to be right in the top part again.

“They’ve had a terrific season. They do put teams under pressure and we’ve got to be ready for that.”

Aaron Mclean is struggling with a hamstring problem he suffered in training but Nathan Doyle has trained all week.

Parkinson may be tempted to include him in a five-man midfield to support Jon Stead up front. James Hanson is still undergoing treatment and misses out again.

City lost 3-0 in the FA Cup at the New York Stadium in November following last season’s 4-0 drubbing on their first visit.

They have not even scored in the last five meetings but Parkin believes the recent improved form on the road will give them confidence. And he insists there is no Rotherham hoodoo.

“I’m not a massive believer in all that.

“I believe that you’ve got to play well enough to win football matches and we’ve not done that – certainly at their ground.

“They never gave us chance to get going last time and we accepted it. We were bitterly disappointed because we take the cups very seriously here.

“A lot of things have changed since then and we’ve got to make sure our team are ready for a really quick start. It’s a local derby and we have to be clued in.”

Evans, who was given a six-match stadium ban last season following a previous incident with a female member of the City staff, believes his reputation has been too hyped up.

He said: “Some of what has been reported in the lead-up to the games has been bordering on being really naughty and inciting certain things to happen. It’s all been noted, put away and all on a file somewhere.

“It’s not similar to a play-off game because Bradford are not in the play-offs. But if you are a Rotherham United fan you do look forward to Bradford coming.

“But do you look forward more to Bradford coming or going to Wolves next week? Do me a favour.”

It will be the first game to be shown live from Rotherham’s home, which is now in its second season. And Evans believes City will have the edge in TV experience.

He added: “If they turned up and played the Red Lion a week on Saturday, they’d get television exposure.

“We all know the cameras should have been here (before). They have been at some obscure places in the last 20 months and as Rotherham United people, we have had to watch that.”

Comments (19)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:09am Fri 11 Apr 14

i miss stallard & murray says...

Wat a c*ck lets not rise to it keep it professional and make sure we give them a game. Frustrate then like teams do to us at VP
Wat a c*ck lets not rise to it keep it professional and make sure we give them a game. Frustrate then like teams do to us at VP i miss stallard & murray
  • Score: 13

7:47am Fri 11 Apr 14

shaun from richmond says...

ERM...I think you will find Mr Evans that the reason you don't get any coverage is because of ...."Steve Evans".
FRANKLY...WHO, would want to associate with a Steve Evans team????? CLEARLY NOT THE MEDIA!!
ERM...I think you will find Mr Evans that the reason you don't get any coverage is because of ...."Steve Evans". FRANKLY...WHO, would want to associate with a Steve Evans team????? CLEARLY NOT THE MEDIA!! shaun from richmond
  • Score: 12

8:22am Fri 11 Apr 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't!
But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him!
Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him! wakefieldbantam
  • Score: 13

8:34am Fri 11 Apr 14

Farsley Bantam says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him!
Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then!
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him![/p][/quote]Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then! Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 5

8:46am Fri 11 Apr 14

Bingley Baz says...

I hope we give them a game tonight. Love or hate Evans there's no denying he's a good football manager despite his past.
I hope we give them a game tonight. Love or hate Evans there's no denying he's a good football manager despite his past. Bingley Baz
  • Score: 5

8:51am Fri 11 Apr 14

Baby Bantam says...

Steve who. The ring leader of the chuckle brothers at the side of the pitch?he's best ignored until the 92nd min then give him hell and make him want to cry himself to sleep. Doing him 1-0 will hurt him twice as much as call him a fat jimmy savile, IGNORE THE BLOB AND SHOUT FOR BRADFORD CITY FC
Steve who. The ring leader of the chuckle brothers at the side of the pitch?he's best ignored until the 92nd min then give him hell and make him want to cry himself to sleep. Doing him 1-0 will hurt him twice as much as call him a fat jimmy savile, IGNORE THE BLOB AND SHOUT FOR BRADFORD CITY FC Baby Bantam
  • Score: 6

9:19am Fri 11 Apr 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him!
Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then!
Yes very good Farsley I did point out it was a wind-up, my point was why does he need to do it! He's got a really good team that's going places and we at present are trailing behind them why mention Wolves?
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him![/p][/quote]Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then![/p][/quote]Yes very good Farsley I did point out it was a wind-up, my point was why does he need to do it! He's got a really good team that's going places and we at present are trailing behind them why mention Wolves? wakefieldbantam
  • Score: 5

9:29am Fri 11 Apr 14

Farsley Bantam says...

wakefieldbantam wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote: Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him!
Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then!
Yes very good Farsley I did point out it was a wind-up, my point was why does he need to do it! He's got a really good team that's going places and we at present are trailing behind them why mention Wolves?
Mind games. He does it everytime. Winds the players up, winds the fans up and create a toxic atmosphere in which, for whatever reason, our players crumble. It's works literally everytime they play us.
Your right he doesn't need to do it but he seems to have a pretty good formula for beating us and this is just one part of it.
[quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him![/p][/quote]Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then![/p][/quote]Yes very good Farsley I did point out it was a wind-up, my point was why does he need to do it! He's got a really good team that's going places and we at present are trailing behind them why mention Wolves?[/p][/quote]Mind games. He does it everytime. Winds the players up, winds the fans up and create a toxic atmosphere in which, for whatever reason, our players crumble. It's works literally everytime they play us. Your right he doesn't need to do it but he seems to have a pretty good formula for beating us and this is just one part of it. Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 9

9:29am Fri 11 Apr 14

al&co says...

Very tough game tonight. We will need the character and commitment we showed at Orient and more. It really will depend on which Bradford City turn up because Rotherham will be on our case until the final whistle.
Looking forward to it though and what a night it would be if we were victorious!
COME ON CITY....TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT!
Very tough game tonight. We will need the character and commitment we showed at Orient and more. It really will depend on which Bradford City turn up because Rotherham will be on our case until the final whistle. Looking forward to it though and what a night it would be if we were victorious! COME ON CITY....TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! al&co
  • Score: 8

12:29pm Fri 11 Apr 14

wakefieldbantam says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote:
Farsley Bantam wrote:
wakefieldbantam wrote: Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him!
Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then!
Yes very good Farsley I did point out it was a wind-up, my point was why does he need to do it! He's got a really good team that's going places and we at present are trailing behind them why mention Wolves?
Mind games. He does it everytime. Winds the players up, winds the fans up and create a toxic atmosphere in which, for whatever reason, our players crumble. It's works literally everytime they play us.
Your right he doesn't need to do it but he seems to have a pretty good formula for beating us and this is just one part of it.
Yes fair comment I agree it works, lets hope tonight we can do it we're due a goal against them at least !
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wakefieldbantam[/bold] wrote: Evans really is an obnoxious individual why the reference to Wolves? Do we think or have we ever said we're a bigger club than Wolves no we haven't! But you have to say he really is a wind-up merchant and a good one, surely we can use this as motivation to finally put one over on him![/p][/quote]Well it's good that you've not taken the bait then![/p][/quote]Yes very good Farsley I did point out it was a wind-up, my point was why does he need to do it! He's got a really good team that's going places and we at present are trailing behind them why mention Wolves?[/p][/quote]Mind games. He does it everytime. Winds the players up, winds the fans up and create a toxic atmosphere in which, for whatever reason, our players crumble. It's works literally everytime they play us. Your right he doesn't need to do it but he seems to have a pretty good formula for beating us and this is just one part of it.[/p][/quote]Yes fair comment I agree it works, lets hope tonight we can do it we're due a goal against them at least ! wakefieldbantam
  • Score: 3

12:33pm Fri 11 Apr 14

bcfc1903 says...

Got a good feeling about this game. In regards to Mr Evans, the only way to shut him up is by getting a result against him. Unless you've got a Chris Kamara type manager on the touchline it's pointless getting involved, Phil Parkinson needs to stuff the fellas words down his throat by getting a result, easier said than done as Mr Evans is a good manager.

0-2 to BCFC, Stead 2, 1350 BCFC fans following.
Got a good feeling about this game. In regards to Mr Evans, the only way to shut him up is by getting a result against him. Unless you've got a Chris Kamara type manager on the touchline it's pointless getting involved, Phil Parkinson needs to stuff the fellas words down his throat by getting a result, easier said than done as Mr Evans is a good manager. 0-2 to BCFC, Stead 2, 1350 BCFC fans following. bcfc1903
  • Score: 6

1:44pm Fri 11 Apr 14

torreyman says...

This is the game I have been waiting for if we can win tonight all the other bad results I will forget even a draw I would but we all know this is a hard hard game also lets hope for a decent Reff so come on BCFC
This is the game I have been waiting for if we can win tonight all the other bad results I will forget even a draw I would but we all know this is a hard hard game also lets hope for a decent Reff so come on BCFC torreyman
  • Score: 5

2:06pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Born on the 5th December says...

Is it me or is Phil Parkinson quite attractive? I went to my first City match against Oldham and apart from all the swearing it was alright so I might come again haha.
Is it me or is Phil Parkinson quite attractive? I went to my first City match against Oldham and apart from all the swearing it was alright so I might come again haha. Born on the 5th December
  • Score: 0

2:21pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Farsley Bantam says...

Born on the 5th December wrote:
Is it me or is Phil Parkinson quite attractive? I went to my first City match against Oldham and apart from all the swearing it was alright so I might come again haha.
I'm more of a Steve Evans man myself. Phwooar!!!
[quote][p][bold]Born on the 5th December[/bold] wrote: Is it me or is Phil Parkinson quite attractive? I went to my first City match against Oldham and apart from all the swearing it was alright so I might come again haha.[/p][/quote]I'm more of a Steve Evans man myself. Phwooar!!! Farsley Bantam
  • Score: 2

2:52pm Fri 11 Apr 14

birstallbantam56 says...

I can see tonight all being about keeping the score down, if we play like we did against Walsall and Oldham we will get trounced. We have no goal threat so we will get nil, can the defence keep a clean sheet? I think not against this lot.....gonna be a long night

I do hope I am wrong!

Come on City!!
I can see tonight all being about keeping the score down, if we play like we did against Walsall and Oldham we will get trounced. We have no goal threat so we will get nil, can the defence keep a clean sheet? I think not against this lot.....gonna be a long night I do hope I am wrong! Come on City!! birstallbantam56
  • Score: -1

3:12pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

I see a few of you are still biting abd he didn't have to thtow many maggots for this bite.
I just hope it doesn't get to our players and even a draw is good there, a win it a huge bonus but after last week l have to live in hope, that was terrible.
I see a few of you are still biting abd he didn't have to thtow many maggots for this bite. I just hope it doesn't get to our players and even a draw is good there, a win it a huge bonus but after last week l have to live in hope, that was terrible. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 0

4:25pm Fri 11 Apr 14

lawsonio123 says...

ATTACK IS THE BEST FORM OF DEFENCE
ATTACK IS THE BEST FORM OF DEFENCE lawsonio123
  • Score: 1

5:14pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Bantambhoy says...

James Hanson still undergoing treatment, hmmmm. Is this another 'Wells' scenario? Have we seen the last of Hanson in a City shirt!? Is he off to the dog botherers to renew the partnership?
James Hanson still undergoing treatment, hmmmm. Is this another 'Wells' scenario? Have we seen the last of Hanson in a City shirt!? Is he off to the dog botherers to renew the partnership? Bantambhoy
  • Score: -2

7:24pm Fri 11 Apr 14

Born on the 5th December says...

Farsley Bantam wrote:
Born on the 5th December wrote:
Is it me or is Phil Parkinson quite attractive? I went to my first City match against Oldham and apart from all the swearing it was alright so I might come again haha.
I'm more of a Steve Evans man myself. Phwooar!!!
What do you expect I am a girl after all - I am sure Phil will be happy with that!
[quote][p][bold]Farsley Bantam[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Born on the 5th December[/bold] wrote: Is it me or is Phil Parkinson quite attractive? I went to my first City match against Oldham and apart from all the swearing it was alright so I might come again haha.[/p][/quote]I'm more of a Steve Evans man myself. Phwooar!!![/p][/quote]What do you expect I am a girl after all - I am sure Phil will be happy with that! Born on the 5th December
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree