Queensbury 38, Slaithwaite Saracens 14

Josh Naylor scored twice as Queensbury marched into the fourth round of the BARLA National Cup after a superb victory over Slaithwaite Saracens.

The hosts entered the game without in-form player-coach Andrew Senior, the injured Lee Kelly and Rob Nagy but made their Hill Top home advantage count.

Queensbury won the toss, decided to receive the ball and play up the significant slope – and it took only a minute for them to get their first points on the board.

Wingman Scott Swann made 40 metres from the kick-off before Joe Walker split the defence to dive under the posts. Swann converted to extend the lead to 6-0.

Minutes later ’Bury were in again as they attacked down the left, with scrum half Naylor selling a clever dummy to sneak over out wide. Swann again converted to make it 12-0.

Saracens began to find their feet in the game, sending their big forwards down the slope, and managed to break ’Bury’s defensive line only for Andrew Walker to pull off a great covering tackle, bundling the Saracens centre into touch.

’Bury finished the half on a high when Naylor’s kick was grounded by centre Ash Ryan. Swann converted once more to give his team a well deserved 18-0 lead at the interval.

Slaithwaite started the brighter of the two sides in the second half, piling on the pressure, and were rewarded with two quickfire tries from kicks as they exploited the space out wide.

Both tries were converted and the Huddersfield outfit were back in the contest at 18-12.

Queensbury then started to hold the ball better, completing their sets which led to another score when Jack Evison scooted over from a quick tap.

Saracens then made an error from the following kick-off, resulting in Liam Ruff putting Sam Cheeney through a gap to go under the posts. Swann converted to make it 30-12.

The visitors kept going throughout the second half, chancing risky offloads – one of which paid off when a neat offload allowed them in at the corner.

But ’Bury ended the game on top with first Naylor and then hooker Gregg Marriott going over from close range to make it a flying finish.