City are very close to landing Hull striker Aaron Mclean, the Telegraph & Argus understands.
It is thought that terms have been agreed between all parties for 30-year-old Mclean to replace Nahki Wells.
But there is still some number-crunching to be done today because of the significant costs involved for the club.
City are considering whether it is worth taking a calculated gamble on a player who will command high wages coming from a Premier League club.
Another factor is his age as, unlike with a younger striker, they would not be expecting to generate any sell-on fee in the future. But the Bantams would be getting an established player who has performed in all four divisions.
Mclean scored in Hull’s FA Cup win at Middlesbrough last week but is surplus to requirements at the KC Stadium. It is believed he recently turned down interest from two Championship clubs.
The Hammersmith-born hitman had an impressive goals ratio in the lower divisions with Peterborough. He won the League Two golden boot with 29 in their 2007-08 promotion campaign and scored another 18 in 39 appearances when they went up from the third tier.
There were attempts to push through a deal in time for him to feature in Saturday’s 1-1 draw with Bristol City but City will now sit down again today to decide whether to make it happen.
Wigan’s Nuoha Dicko was also thought to be on City’s hit list but the young Frenchman was last night finalising a move to Wolves. He was a guest at Molineux for their weekend win over Preston.
Joint-chairman Mark Lawn also revealed City had been looking at a third target, although Mclean has always been Phil Parkinson’s first choice.
Lawn said: “Aaron’s good at a higher level and this level. We’ve been talking to another lad and his agent who has done it at this level and is still doing it.
“We’ve also been talking to a younger one who we believe can not only do it now but be one for the future.
“All three we’ve been talking to, there have been six or seven clubs chasing them.
“We’ve got to put ourselves out there first and hopefully persuade one of them to come here.
“We want someone in as soon as we can but it’s important we don’t rush it. We need to make sure they want to come to us.
“We’ve got a great team spirit within the squad. Phil has built that and I believe it’s worth at least 20 points, so we need to get the right one in.”
Parkinson was reluctant to discuss Mclean but confirmed: “We need a proven striker in the building. We’re at a situation where we’ve lost our top scorer and to get a proven one will be expensive.”
James Hanson ended an 11-game scoring drought with a first-minute strike on Saturday but City have still not won at home since September 28.
Hanson said: “I’m a bit gutted to see Nahki go but the gaffer has told the lads there will be new players coming in. That obviously sets the bar again.
“Hopefully I can form a good partnership with another strike partner and we can both chip in with goals and get the club where it needs to be.”
Meanwhile, Wells came off the bench to score the winner on his Huddersfield debut against Millwall – a goal that will earn City money as part of the many add-ons to his transfer fee.