Set-piece nightmare puts Grangefield Old Boys Reserves out of cup

Grangefield Old Boys' Reserves were bitterly disappointed to lose their Leeds & District FA Cup quarter-final after leading 2-0 at half-time at Alwoodley Reserves.

Tom Menaldino and Dan Cuff put the Old Boys in front but their inability to defend set-pieces cost them dear, with Hassan Abrah (50th minute), Rob Oxley (65th) and Geoff Clarkson (75th) exploiting that weakness to consign them to a 3-2 defeat.

Stanningley Old Boys went into overdrive in the third round of the Leeds & District FA Senior Cup, defeating visitors Wigton Moor 7-0.

The scorers were leading marksman James Allen (4), skipper Jimmy Halliday (2) and Tom Hird.

Gildersome Spurs Old Boys continued their great run in the Yorkshire Amateur League Senior A Division, defeating second-from-bottom Leeds Medics & Dentists 5-1.

Ben Keedy and Matt Jackson struck before half-time and doubled their tally in the second half, Matty Moon adding the fourth goal. Niall Robinson netted the consolation goal for Medics to make it 4-1.

Spurs are now nine points behind leaders Grangefield Old Boys with four games in hand.

Old Batelians started well at home to Huddersfield Amateur, taking the lead after 15 minutes through an Andy Virr header.

It was not until the 50th minute that Amateur equalised and, having worn down their opponents, went on to record a solid 4-1 success with their leading scorer Chris Binks (2), Andy Sutcliffe and  highly-talented 16-year-old Ben Hallett, with his first goal for the club, netting for the fourth-placed visitors.

Farsley Celtic were bidding for a second straight victory at Collingham Juniors Old Boys.

Having won there 4-1 in the Marflitt Cup, Celtic faced a much stronger Collingham team in the Senior B Division, but still triumphed 3-2.

Farsley took a 2-0 lead with a header from James Kioma before the break and a 20-yard lob from Adam Jesusco after the interval.

Collingham then had their best spell of the match, Richard Metcalfe reducing the arrears before James Rowlands equalised with a well-hit free-kick, and on another day they might have gained a point.

But it was left to Craig Farrand to curl a free-kick round the wall to give Celtic the points that enabled them to remain second in the table, and four points behind leaders Medics Res with three games in hand.

Stanningley Old Boys Reserves won by the same scoreline at Leeds Medics Reserves in a superb advert for the division, which was also played in a great spirit.

The game initially went the way of Stanningley, who went into an early 1-0 lead, but Medics retaliated, and goals for Steve Herman and Stewart Malley put them 2-1 ahead, only for Stanningley to level before half-time.

Stanningley's winner came in the 75th minute when Luke Harrop's cross-cum-shot found its way into the back of the net. Their other goals came from Rob Nicholson and John Mallinson. Stanningley are also four points behind Medics Reserves with three games in hand.

Garforth Rangers have won six of their nine games in Division One but the ninth-placed club have also copped three heavy defeats, the latest being a 5-0 home defeat to Gildersome Spurs Old Boys Reserves.

Fifth-placed Gildersome had a strong team out and their vastly experienced leading sharpshooter Mikey Durham was in scintillating form, bagging four goals, with James Bradd adding the fifth.

Gildersome Spurs Old Boys third team's leading scorer Jacob Scott was on target again, taking his seasonal tally to 15, but that was their only highlight for the bottom club in a 5-1 Division Two loss at Bainbridge. 

This was an impressive display from Bainbridge, who move out of the relegation zone, with efforts coming from Hassan Iqbal, Mohammed Ishaq, Damar Sadiq (penalty), Younis Bismillah and an own goal.

St Bede's Reserves followed Bainbridge's lead to also move out of a demotion berth, thanks to a 1-0 home win over Colton Institute.

Second-placed Colton won the reverse clash 8-0 but Bede's are reaping the benefit of a settled side as Leeds Medics Fourths dropped into a relegation place.

Heckmondwike Grammar School Old Boys won 4-1 at Colton Institute Reserves but there were no goals in the first half of this Division Three encounter.

Colton raced into a second-half lead through Oliver Mutebula, but this only galvanised Heckmondwike into action, and they replied via Oliver Heatley (2), Danny Laidlaw (penalty) and Will Atkin in moving up to ninth.

Eighth-placed St Bede's Thirds did well to take a point from Thornesians Fourths in Division Five.

Bede's led 2-0 at the interval via Stephen Drake and Danny Burke but promotion contenders Thornesians dominated the second half, with the influential Joe Cooke leading the recovery, aided by Ian Halliday.


Comments are closed on this article.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree