Bradford City: Play time for Phil Parkinson’s bench players during busy run of fixtures

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: Jason Kennedy, pictured scoring against MK Dons, is one of several fringe players who has been told by Phil Parkinson he will play some part over the next four games OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS: Jason Kennedy, pictured scoring against MK Dons, is one of several fringe players who has been told by Phil Parkinson he will play some part over the next four games

Phil Parkinson will shuffle his pack to deal with City’s most hectic spell of the season.

The Bantams face four games in 11 days over the holiday period, which starts with Saturday’s trip to fifth-placed Peterborough.

Rotherham visit Valley Parade for a much-anticipated Boxing Day derby, Swindon follow a week on Sunday before City kick off 2014 at Notts County on New Year’s Day.

With such a busy workload, Parkinson intends to make changes between matches and utilise his squad.

That will be music to the ears for the likes of Mark Yeates, Jason Kennedy and Raffaele De Vita, who have been chiefly limited to bench roles since their recruitment in the summer.

Parkinson said: “I’ve told the lads that those who haven’t played much recently will get their chances.

“Squads that have the ability to change things round during a period of games like this tend to come through them best.

“Supporters might expect (to see) different players in different games. But I’m sure they will understand that we will change things round, like we did last year.

“We have players capable of performing at this level but because we haven’t had many midweek games, there hasn’t been the opportunity to change the team around as much as we did before.

“But it’s good motivation for the squad. We have got players who are champing at the bit to show their worth in the team and they will get that chance over the next four games.”

With City going out of all three cups at the first stage, this season’s programme is nowhere near as intense as a year ago.

At this stage in 2012, the Bantams had already played 33 games – TEN more than currently. That also included six extra-times, the equivalent of another two full matches.

Parkinson added: “It’s been different without playing in midweek but it’s given us longer to prepare for each game.

“We are in a harder division now so that has certainly helped.

“But we are looking forward to this run of games over Christmas and physically we are in good shape for it.

“We’ve shown on several occasions that we keep going right to the end. Physically we are capable of doing that and it stands us in good stead for the busy period coming up.

“After Saturday we can do bits of organisation in between games. The physical work has been done in terms of preparing for this period.”

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:34am Thu 19 Dec 13

Freddy says...

*
That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season.
*
Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on.
*
* That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season. * Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on. * Freddy

10:18am Thu 19 Dec 13

Peter300 says...

A good summing up from Phil. He's always made it clear he will shuffle the pack when there are four games in a short period of time. Still think that other players will be leaving in January, permanently or on loan, apart from the obvious candidate - though I hope very much he remains at City for longer.
A good summing up from Phil. He's always made it clear he will shuffle the pack when there are four games in a short period of time. Still think that other players will be leaving in January, permanently or on loan, apart from the obvious candidate - though I hope very much he remains at City for longer. Peter300

10:37am Thu 19 Dec 13

bwwb says...

Freddy wrote:
*
That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season.
*
Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on.
*
Freddy

If you can name the last time City got knocked out of every cup at the first opportunity and also got promoted then I may agree with your daft first paragraph
Last season we played 18 cup and play off matches and still went up

As for selling players it seems that the only folk trying to get rid of Wells et al are the fans. It is as though we are the only team in the whole football league who have players we want to get rid of with no view at all on replacing them. Presumably if Wells does go it is not beyond the realms of possibility we could sign another player who has the ability of putting the ball in the net.
[quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: * That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season. * Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on. *[/p][/quote]Freddy If you can name the last time City got knocked out of every cup at the first opportunity and also got promoted then I may agree with your daft first paragraph Last season we played 18 cup and play off matches and still went up As for selling players it seems that the only folk trying to get rid of Wells et al are the fans. It is as though we are the only team in the whole football league who have players we want to get rid of with no view at all on replacing them. Presumably if Wells does go it is not beyond the realms of possibility we could sign another player who has the ability of putting the ball in the net. bwwb

11:41am Thu 19 Dec 13

lawsonio123 says...

T Wells problem will soon sort its self out now. I regard to promotion I fell we are a little short but hope Mr Parkinson can sort this out in January.even if not I am sure he will make City Stronger next season and we are still being well entertained
T Wells problem will soon sort its self out now. I regard to promotion I fell we are a little short but hope Mr Parkinson can sort this out in January.even if not I am sure he will make City Stronger next season and we are still being well entertained lawsonio123

1:13pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Olivermac says...

bwwb wrote:
Freddy wrote:
*
That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season.
*
Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on.
*
Freddy

If you can name the last time City got knocked out of every cup at the first opportunity and also got promoted then I may agree with your daft first paragraph
Last season we played 18 cup and play off matches and still went up

As for selling players it seems that the only folk trying to get rid of Wells et al are the fans. It is as though we are the only team in the whole football league who have players we want to get rid of with no view at all on replacing them. Presumably if Wells does go it is not beyond the realms of possibility we could sign another player who has the ability of putting the ball in the net.
Club and Press put statements regarding Nakhi Wells getting transferred, it is not what the fans require or want, I would love for N W to stay but let's be realistic would you turn down 3mill upwards the club is a buississness not just there for the fans, however they do need to keep an happy medium with the fans to keep 13,000/14,000 turning out at every home game that's why our seasons ticket prices are more than competitive so if NW decides to go let's get some young blood in that position not your Gray/Forlan there are plenty of young talent out there it's just about getting the right player.
[quote][p][bold]bwwb[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: * That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season. * Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on. *[/p][/quote]Freddy If you can name the last time City got knocked out of every cup at the first opportunity and also got promoted then I may agree with your daft first paragraph Last season we played 18 cup and play off matches and still went up As for selling players it seems that the only folk trying to get rid of Wells et al are the fans. It is as though we are the only team in the whole football league who have players we want to get rid of with no view at all on replacing them. Presumably if Wells does go it is not beyond the realms of possibility we could sign another player who has the ability of putting the ball in the net.[/p][/quote]Club and Press put statements regarding Nakhi Wells getting transferred, it is not what the fans require or want, I would love for N W to stay but let's be realistic would you turn down 3mill upwards the club is a buississness not just there for the fans, however they do need to keep an happy medium with the fans to keep 13,000/14,000 turning out at every home game that's why our seasons ticket prices are more than competitive so if NW decides to go let's get some young blood in that position not your Gray/Forlan there are plenty of young talent out there it's just about getting the right player. Olivermac

2:04pm Thu 19 Dec 13

lawsonio123 says...

Olivermac wrote:
bwwb wrote:
Freddy wrote:
*
That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season.
*
Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on.
*
Freddy

If you can name the last time City got knocked out of every cup at the first opportunity and also got promoted then I may agree with your daft first paragraph
Last season we played 18 cup and play off matches and still went up

As for selling players it seems that the only folk trying to get rid of Wells et al are the fans. It is as though we are the only team in the whole football league who have players we want to get rid of with no view at all on replacing them. Presumably if Wells does go it is not beyond the realms of possibility we could sign another player who has the ability of putting the ball in the net.
Club and Press put statements regarding Nakhi Wells getting transferred, it is not what the fans require or want, I would love for N W to stay but let's be realistic would you turn down 3mill upwards the club is a buississness not just there for the fans, however they do need to keep an happy medium with the fans to keep 13,000/14,000 turning out at every home game that's why our seasons ticket prices are more than competitive so if NW decides to go let's get some young blood in that position not your Gray/Forlan there are plenty of young talent out there it's just about getting the right player.
Just about getting the right player is far easier said than done. transfers are a bit of a lottery at the best of times you only have to look to see many expensive failures. We can only hope if what you all think happens Mr Parkinson gets it right i wish him luck ROLL UP OVER CHRISTMAS SUPPORT THE TEAM AND HAVE A GREAT TIME
[quote][p][bold]Olivermac[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bwwb[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Freddy[/bold] wrote: * That endorses my requirement, to forget the cup matches this season. * Should Wells & possibly Hanson be transfer targets. OR ANY OTHER CITY PLAYER. Perhaps 'Parky' may have to try a shuffle, of several players, WITHOUT some of the transfer targets--who may have moved on. *[/p][/quote]Freddy If you can name the last time City got knocked out of every cup at the first opportunity and also got promoted then I may agree with your daft first paragraph Last season we played 18 cup and play off matches and still went up As for selling players it seems that the only folk trying to get rid of Wells et al are the fans. It is as though we are the only team in the whole football league who have players we want to get rid of with no view at all on replacing them. Presumably if Wells does go it is not beyond the realms of possibility we could sign another player who has the ability of putting the ball in the net.[/p][/quote]Club and Press put statements regarding Nakhi Wells getting transferred, it is not what the fans require or want, I would love for N W to stay but let's be realistic would you turn down 3mill upwards the club is a buississness not just there for the fans, however they do need to keep an happy medium with the fans to keep 13,000/14,000 turning out at every home game that's why our seasons ticket prices are more than competitive so if NW decides to go let's get some young blood in that position not your Gray/Forlan there are plenty of young talent out there it's just about getting the right player.[/p][/quote]Just about getting the right player is far easier said than done. transfers are a bit of a lottery at the best of times you only have to look to see many expensive failures. We can only hope if what you all think happens Mr Parkinson gets it right i wish him luck ROLL UP OVER CHRISTMAS SUPPORT THE TEAM AND HAVE A GREAT TIME lawsonio123

2:58pm Thu 19 Dec 13

shaun from richmond says...

Peter300 wrote:
A good summing up from Phil. He's always made it clear he will shuffle the pack when there are four games in a short period of time. Still think that other players will be leaving in January, permanently or on loan, apart from the obvious candidate - though I hope very much he remains at City for longer.
PETER.....You don't go to games!!....SO WHAT DO YOU CARE!!
[quote][p][bold]Peter300[/bold] wrote: A good summing up from Phil. He's always made it clear he will shuffle the pack when there are four games in a short period of time. Still think that other players will be leaving in January, permanently or on loan, apart from the obvious candidate - though I hope very much he remains at City for longer.[/p][/quote]PETER.....You don't go to games!!....SO WHAT DO YOU CARE!! shaun from richmond

5:14pm Thu 19 Dec 13

Pablo says...

Peter300 wrote:
A good summing up from Phil. He's always made it clear he will shuffle the pack when there are four games in a short period of time. Still think that other players will be leaving in January, permanently or on loan, apart from the obvious candidate - though I hope very much he remains at City for longer.
You wanted Phil sacked last season. Have you changed your tune?
[quote][p][bold]Peter300[/bold] wrote: A good summing up from Phil. He's always made it clear he will shuffle the pack when there are four games in a short period of time. Still think that other players will be leaving in January, permanently or on loan, apart from the obvious candidate - though I hope very much he remains at City for longer.[/p][/quote]You wanted Phil sacked last season. Have you changed your tune? Pablo

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree