‘Everything’s fine’ as Matty Blythe signs three-year Bradford Bulls deal

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Matty Blythe says the Bulls have answered players’ questions over unpaid wages and insists morale is fine ahead of this weekend’s key match at Wakefield Matty Blythe says the Bulls have answered players’ questions over unpaid wages and insists morale is fine ahead of this weekend’s key match at Wakefield

Matty Blythe has put pen to paper on a three-year deal to become a permanent Bradford player and insisted he has no concerns over the club’s future.

The Warrington centre is on a season-long loan at the Provident Stadium and was under contract at the Wolves until the end of next season.

That will be replaced by a deal that will keep him at the Bulls until the end of 2016 in what represents another significant coup for Francis Cummins.

The Odsal coach has already signed Garreth Carvell, Dale Ferguson and Luke George for next term and yesterday admitted he is an admirer of St Helens stand-off Lee Gaskell, who is being heavily linked with a switch across the Pennines.

Blythe is confident about the Bulls’ future – despite the club’s players and staff having yet to be paid last month’s wages.

Deputy director Robbie Hunter-Paul addressed Cummins’ squad yesterday to alleviate their concerns and stress that monies to pay them would be in place by August 8.

Blythe, who signed his contract last week before the club hit the snag over wages, said: “As players we had questions that we needed answering, as you would if you don’t get paid.

“The club have answered those questions and we’re fine in terms of morale.

“After what happened here last year, the alarm bells started ringing that it could happen again, but everything’s fine.

“We’re laughing and joking and enjoying ourselves – and we have to because it’s a massive game this week at Wakefield.

“There are no ifs or buts – we need to win – and I’m really happy that I’ve got my future secure and I’m ready to kick on now.

“I think I’ve played well this year and Franny has rewarded me with a three-year deal.”

Blythe is happy that his future is now secured after agreeing with Wolves coach Tony Smith that a permanent move to Bradford was best for all concerned.

The 24-year-old enjoyed a blistering start to the season before being laid low by a back problem which sidelined him for several weeks.

He then picked up a knee injury in the recent defeat to Wigan but is hoping to be passed fit to face the Wildcats on Sunday.

Blythe, who has also performed well in the second row this season, said: “I spoke to Tony and we both came to the conclusion that I needed more rugby.

“I didn’t want to go back to Warrington and end up playing at a feeder club.

“I want to be playing Super League week in, week out and I wasn’t entirely guaranteed that next year at Warrington.

“Tony has been really good with me and we both came to the conclusion that I wanted to move on in my career.

“It’s my home-town club and Warrington will always be a part of me but I needed to make this permanent move for my career. I’m one hundred per cent happy I’ve done it.”

Cummins added: “I remember my first meeting with Blythey about how this was his time to become a senior professional and he has done that.

“He’s had a few injuries here and there but he’s shown that he can play the game and he has an influence around the club.

“That influence is only going to grow and he has shown that he’s a very good young man as well as a very good rugby league player.”

Despite the Bulls’ latest financial difficulties, Cummins said: “We’re having a rough time at the moment but signing Matty shows there is some good stuff going on here.

“He is someone who has been in the Warrington system but has been given a chance here and is enjoying it.

“The bigger picture is that Matty is an important part of this club and for him to agree three years is a huge thing. It shows you that players are willing to back the club.”

Cummins is also hoping to have Ben Evans – who, like Blythe, is on a season-long loan from Warrington – at Bradford again next year.

Comments (23)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:20am Thu 1 Aug 13

AdeyG'man says...

Superb! Here's hoping the cashflow is the solved quickly, but three year deal for Blythe is a great move. He's a quality player
Superb! Here's hoping the cashflow is the solved quickly, but three year deal for Blythe is a great move. He's a quality player AdeyG'man

7:44am Thu 1 Aug 13

Solomon Grundy says...

Good news - also hope this cash flow situation is resolved asap and we can move on. Gaskell to follow? Another decent signing.
Good news - also hope this cash flow situation is resolved asap and we can move on. Gaskell to follow? Another decent signing. Solomon Grundy

7:52am Thu 1 Aug 13

expatbull says...

AdeyG'man wrote:
Superb! Here's hoping the cashflow is the solved quickly, but three year deal for Blythe is a great move. He's a quality player
As you say great news,quality player,cash flow problem sorted soon will be icing on the cake.
But the £840k that the Bulls had to give up from central funding has had an effect .
[quote][p][bold]AdeyG'man[/bold] wrote: Superb! Here's hoping the cashflow is the solved quickly, but three year deal for Blythe is a great move. He's a quality player[/p][/quote]As you say great news,quality player,cash flow problem sorted soon will be icing on the cake. But the £840k that the Bulls had to give up from central funding has had an effect . expatbull

8:23am Thu 1 Aug 13

Bone_idle18 says...

There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues.

This is a great signing though.
There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues. This is a great signing though. Bone_idle18

9:00am Thu 1 Aug 13

Ever positive says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues.

This is a great signing though.
Was the Jay Wiley deal ever serious?
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues. This is a great signing though.[/p][/quote]Was the Jay Wiley deal ever serious? Ever positive

9:30am Thu 1 Aug 13

raisemeup says...

Brilliant news - it will allay the fears of a lot of our fans who went through so much last year (as well as the players & staff) and we have come out the other side a stronger force to be reckoned with . We need to build our fan base and all move forward together. COYB
Brilliant news - it will allay the fears of a lot of our fans who went through so much last year (as well as the players & staff) and we have come out the other side a stronger force to be reckoned with . We need to build our fan base and all move forward together. COYB raisemeup

9:47am Thu 1 Aug 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

raisemeup wrote:
Brilliant news - it will allay the fears of a lot of our fans who went through so much last year (as well as the players & staff) and we have come out the other side a stronger force to be reckoned with . We need to build our fan base and all move forward together. COYB
Wondered where you had been hiding.
[quote][p][bold]raisemeup[/bold] wrote: Brilliant news - it will allay the fears of a lot of our fans who went through so much last year (as well as the players & staff) and we have come out the other side a stronger force to be reckoned with . We need to build our fan base and all move forward together. COYB[/p][/quote]Wondered where you had been hiding. Thee Voice of Reason

10:06am Thu 1 Aug 13

Reading Bullette says...

Ever positive wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote:
There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues.

This is a great signing though.
Was the Jay Wiley deal ever serious?
It was a figment of her imagination.
[quote][p][bold]Ever positive[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues. This is a great signing though.[/p][/quote]Was the Jay Wiley deal ever serious?[/p][/quote]It was a figment of her imagination. Reading Bullette

10:18am Thu 1 Aug 13

Parz says...

Reading Bullette wrote:
Ever positive wrote:
Bone_idle18 wrote: There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues. This is a great signing though.
Was the Jay Wiley deal ever serious?
It was a figment of her imagination.
I'd heard this too, that she doesn't actually have anything like the money she was proposing to invest.
[quote][p][bold]Reading Bullette[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ever positive[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: There's been a couple of factors affecting the cash, the cut in central funding, the Jay Wiley deal falling through and also, the low season ticket sales and attendance issues. This is a great signing though.[/p][/quote]Was the Jay Wiley deal ever serious?[/p][/quote]It was a figment of her imagination.[/p][/quote]I'd heard this too, that she doesn't actually have anything like the money she was proposing to invest. Parz

10:30am Thu 1 Aug 13

Mumby was the best says...

Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know) Mumby was the best

11:07am Thu 1 Aug 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Mumby was the best wrote:
Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
[quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too. Thee Voice of Reason

1:45pm Thu 1 Aug 13

Mumby was the best says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote:
Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
I had to come out from under my rock there was no room left. First ex City hero Bobby Campbell tried to shove me out then he was followed by the City supporting MP David (Jew Hater) Ward.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]I had to come out from under my rock there was no room left. First ex City hero Bobby Campbell tried to shove me out then he was followed by the City supporting MP David (Jew Hater) Ward. Mumby was the best

1:46pm Thu 1 Aug 13

Parz says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
What are you on about? Interested person comments on story! Shocker.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]What are you on about? Interested person comments on story! Shocker. Parz

2:07pm Thu 1 Aug 13

AUGUST1964 says...

Parz wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
What are you on about? Interested person comments on story! Shocker.
Like the comments you just made about the story! think before you hit the keyboard.
Back to rugby league topics.
Looks like things are starting to take shape as to the line up for next season.
What do you think about the signings for next season TVOR,give us your knowledgeable assessment on each of the players we've signed so far,would be interesting to hear your thoughts.
[quote][p][bold]Parz[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]What are you on about? Interested person comments on story! Shocker.[/p][/quote]Like the comments you just made about the story! think before you hit the keyboard. Back to rugby league topics. Looks like things are starting to take shape as to the line up for next season. What do you think about the signings for next season TVOR,give us your knowledgeable assessment on each of the players we've signed so far,would be interesting to hear your thoughts. AUGUST1964

2:29pm Thu 1 Aug 13

lonniejockstrap says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote:
Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
Ah TVOR, so this is where you hang out nowadays! I remember when you were never off the 'Bantams' forum criticising the way the Club was run and accusing Lawn of things you couldn't back-up. Made yourself look very unreliable and rather stupid with your regular false accusations. Wondered where you'd got to when City started being so successful both on and off the field. I see you have picked up the scent of a wounded animal and you, playing the brave Matador, have decided to stick your two swords-worth into the poor old Bulls.

Don't let TVOR grind you down true Bulls fans, he thinks he's the great expert when being critically negative when a Club struggles to find success. He doesn't hang around long when things start to improve though and they will, in time, improve.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]Ah TVOR, so this is where you hang out nowadays! I remember when you were never off the 'Bantams' forum criticising the way the Club was run and accusing Lawn of things you couldn't back-up. Made yourself look very unreliable and rather stupid with your regular false accusations. Wondered where you'd got to when City started being so successful both on and off the field. I see you have picked up the scent of a wounded animal and you, playing the brave Matador, have decided to stick your two swords-worth into the poor old Bulls. Don't let TVOR grind you down true Bulls fans, he thinks he's the great expert when being critically negative when a Club struggles to find success. He doesn't hang around long when things start to improve though and they will, in time, improve. lonniejockstrap

2:30pm Thu 1 Aug 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Mumby was the best wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
I had to come out from under my rock there was no room left. First ex City hero Bobby Campbell tried to shove me out then he was followed by the City supporting MP David (Jew Hater) Ward.
It is strange we can't comment on Mr Wards comments yet he is given free reign to slag Jews off in the press to pander to his voters.
[quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]I had to come out from under my rock there was no room left. First ex City hero Bobby Campbell tried to shove me out then he was followed by the City supporting MP David (Jew Hater) Ward.[/p][/quote]It is strange we can't comment on Mr Wards comments yet he is given free reign to slag Jews off in the press to pander to his voters. Thee Voice of Reason

3:20pm Thu 1 Aug 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

lonniejockstrap wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
Ah TVOR, so this is where you hang out nowadays! I remember when you were never off the 'Bantams' forum criticising the way the Club was run and accusing Lawn of things you couldn't back-up. Made yourself look very unreliable and rather stupid with your regular false accusations. Wondered where you'd got to when City started being so successful both on and off the field. I see you have picked up the scent of a wounded animal and you, playing the brave Matador, have decided to stick your two swords-worth into the poor old Bulls. Don't let TVOR grind you down true Bulls fans, he thinks he's the great expert when being critically negative when a Club struggles to find success. He doesn't hang around long when things start to improve though and they will, in time, improve.
I'm still alive and kicking on the City forum. It's just close season and there really hasn't been anything worthy of comment.

With the season in a few days that will soon change.
[quote][p][bold]lonniejockstrap[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]Ah TVOR, so this is where you hang out nowadays! I remember when you were never off the 'Bantams' forum criticising the way the Club was run and accusing Lawn of things you couldn't back-up. Made yourself look very unreliable and rather stupid with your regular false accusations. Wondered where you'd got to when City started being so successful both on and off the field. I see you have picked up the scent of a wounded animal and you, playing the brave Matador, have decided to stick your two swords-worth into the poor old Bulls. Don't let TVOR grind you down true Bulls fans, he thinks he's the great expert when being critically negative when a Club struggles to find success. He doesn't hang around long when things start to improve though and they will, in time, improve.[/p][/quote]I'm still alive and kicking on the City forum. It's just close season and there really hasn't been anything worthy of comment. With the season in a few days that will soon change. Thee Voice of Reason

3:27pm Thu 1 Aug 13

Sheffieldbull says...

lonniejockstrap wrote:
Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Mumby was the best wrote:
Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)
So you've crawled out from under your rock too.
Ah TVOR, so this is where you hang out nowadays! I remember when you were never off the 'Bantams' forum criticising the way the Club was run and accusing Lawn of things you couldn't back-up. Made yourself look very unreliable and rather stupid with your regular false accusations. Wondered where you'd got to when City started being so successful both on and off the field. I see you have picked up the scent of a wounded animal and you, playing the brave Matador, have decided to stick your two swords-worth into the poor old Bulls.

Don't let TVOR grind you down true Bulls fans, he thinks he's the great expert when being critically negative when a Club struggles to find success. He doesn't hang around long when things start to improve though and they will, in time, improve.
Well said lonnie' - that sums the pompous prig up beautifully. Enjoy your forthcoming season - I wouldn't wish 'Thee voice of Treason' back on the City forum because, as you say, - it's prolific when it senses blood.
[quote][p][bold]lonniejockstrap[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Mumby was the best[/bold] wrote: Great signing, seems there are more to come. Seems some have more trust in the club than people think. (not know)[/p][/quote]So you've crawled out from under your rock too.[/p][/quote]Ah TVOR, so this is where you hang out nowadays! I remember when you were never off the 'Bantams' forum criticising the way the Club was run and accusing Lawn of things you couldn't back-up. Made yourself look very unreliable and rather stupid with your regular false accusations. Wondered where you'd got to when City started being so successful both on and off the field. I see you have picked up the scent of a wounded animal and you, playing the brave Matador, have decided to stick your two swords-worth into the poor old Bulls. Don't let TVOR grind you down true Bulls fans, he thinks he's the great expert when being critically negative when a Club struggles to find success. He doesn't hang around long when things start to improve though and they will, in time, improve.[/p][/quote]Well said lonnie' - that sums the pompous prig up beautifully. Enjoy your forthcoming season - I wouldn't wish 'Thee voice of Treason' back on the City forum because, as you say, - it's prolific when it senses blood. Sheffieldbull

3:52pm Thu 1 Aug 13

Mumby was the best says...

Yes well said Lonnie, hope you have a great season but no doubt he will have plenty negative things to say no matter what. Do you suppose the Monty Python "Argument Sketch" was based on him?
Yes well said Lonnie, hope you have a great season but no doubt he will have plenty negative things to say no matter what. Do you suppose the Monty Python "Argument Sketch" was based on him? Mumby was the best

7:07pm Thu 1 Aug 13

axlef1963 says...

great to him on a three year contract.a real dependable player as he says he loves it at the bulls so goes to show all the doom mongers have got it wrong about in house fighting.it also shows that the players have confidence in the set-up at odsal or why sign a long term deal.only time will tell if last months late payment of wages was just a blip but in life you have to have a glass half full or whats the point looking forward to getting behind the lads on sunday COYB
great to him on a three year contract.a real dependable player as he says he loves it at the bulls so goes to show all the doom mongers have got it wrong about in house fighting.it also shows that the players have confidence in the set-up at odsal or why sign a long term deal.only time will tell if last months late payment of wages was just a blip but in life you have to have a glass half full or whats the point looking forward to getting behind the lads on sunday COYB axlef1963

9:58pm Thu 1 Aug 13

AUGUST1964 says...

Come on TVORsole give us your thoughts on the Bulls new signings,we're all waiting!
Come on TVORsole give us your thoughts on the Bulls new signings,we're all waiting! AUGUST1964

12:46am Fri 2 Aug 13

raisemeup says...

One of the most promising bits of news we genuine supporters have heard since the depressing stories of the last few days.
Francis Cummins also gives us a lot of positives in his story, if all is as FC tells us and with MB penning a deal of 3 years. We can at least see more light at the end of the tunnel.
Good luck to city and with their enhanced ST sales it is certainly a better outlook for the sporting aspirations of Bradford.

Can't wait to see our future plans after the present crisis is resolved.

We can't do anything about the past, but we can still influence the future.
One of the most promising bits of news we genuine supporters have heard since the depressing stories of the last few days. Francis Cummins also gives us a lot of positives in his story, if all is as FC tells us and with MB penning a deal of 3 years. We can at least see more light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck to city and with their enhanced ST sales it is certainly a better outlook for the sporting aspirations of Bradford. Can't wait to see our future plans after the present crisis is resolved. We can't do anything about the past, but we can still influence the future. raisemeup

11:19am Fri 2 Aug 13

NG1972 says...

Great signing been impressed with MB this season. Like ive said previously keep faith with Franny he is the one to fetch success back to the Bulls. Franny we need to get Mr Sammut on a long term deal now. Come on Jarrod commit to the club please..... looking good for next year I dont know where Gaskell will play if he signs.
Great signing been impressed with MB this season. Like ive said previously keep faith with Franny he is the one to fetch success back to the Bulls. Franny we need to get Mr Sammut on a long term deal now. Come on Jarrod commit to the club please..... looking good for next year I dont know where Gaskell will play if he signs. NG1972

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree