Bradford City snap up Derby hot prospect Bennett

Young Derby striker Mason Bennett has joined City until January

Young Derby striker Mason Bennett has joined City until January

First published in Sport
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford City Reporter

City have signed teenage striker Mason Bennett on loan from Derby until January.

The pacy 18-year-old, an England under-19 international, can play on the wing or down the middle.

Bennett made Derby history as their youngest-ever player when he made his debut at Middlesbrough in 2011 aged 15. He is also their youngest goalscorer.

He spent a month on loan at Chesterfield last season but is seen as a massive prospect at the Championship club and signed a new four-year deal last month.

Derby head coach Steve McClaren said: “He needs first-team football to continue his development and heading to Bradford on loan is a good move for all parties.

"We will follow Mason’s progress very closely throughout the duration of his time at Bradford but it goes without saying we hope he enjoys a successful time there."

 

Comments (21)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

5:59pm Tue 12 Aug 14

torreyman says...

Welcome Mason to BCAFC wish you all the best I am sure all of us will make feel at home with us
Welcome Mason to BCAFC wish you all the best I am sure all of us will make feel at home with us torreyman
  • Score: 11

6:04pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Baby Bantam says...

Great signing, looks promising but with Clarke and hansons performance against coventry and we ain't set up for wingers I think parkys guna have abit of a scratchy head moment on where he's going to play him in the first team. Impact sub maybe, have to wait and see
Great signing, looks promising but with Clarke and hansons performance against coventry and we ain't set up for wingers I think parkys guna have abit of a scratchy head moment on where he's going to play him in the first team. Impact sub maybe, have to wait and see Baby Bantam
  • Score: 1

6:15pm Tue 12 Aug 14

albioff says...

Baby Bantam wrote:
Great signing, looks promising but with Clarke and hansons performance against coventry and we ain't set up for wingers I think parkys guna have abit of a scratchy head moment on where he's going to play him in the first team. Impact sub maybe, have to wait and see
well knowing our record with injuries and crocks no doubt he will find a place in due course. mc claren won't be happy if he spends most of his stay on the bench.
[quote][p][bold]Baby Bantam[/bold] wrote: Great signing, looks promising but with Clarke and hansons performance against coventry and we ain't set up for wingers I think parkys guna have abit of a scratchy head moment on where he's going to play him in the first team. Impact sub maybe, have to wait and see[/p][/quote]well knowing our record with injuries and crocks no doubt he will find a place in due course. mc claren won't be happy if he spends most of his stay on the bench. albioff
  • Score: 5

6:30pm Tue 12 Aug 14

bantam85 says...

I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though

A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID
I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID bantam85
  • Score: 5

6:30pm Tue 12 Aug 14

bantam85 says...

I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though

A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID
I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID bantam85
  • Score: 2

6:37pm Tue 12 Aug 14

tinytoonster says...

i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean?
not looking like he's going to get much starts.
nice big wage sat on the bench!
i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench! tinytoonster
  • Score: -26

7:10pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Bantambhoy says...

tinytoonster wrote:
i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean?
not looking like he's going to get much starts.
nice big wage sat on the bench!
Good grief, WHINGER!!
Sorry PP, you can't win with some.
I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.
[quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench![/p][/quote]Good grief, WHINGER!! Sorry PP, you can't win with some. I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action. Bantambhoy
  • Score: 11

7:43pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Baby Bantam says...

albioff wrote:
Baby Bantam wrote:
Great signing, looks promising but with Clarke and hansons performance against coventry and we ain't set up for wingers I think parkys guna have abit of a scratchy head moment on where he's going to play him in the first team. Impact sub maybe, have to wait and see
well knowing our record with injuries and crocks no doubt he will find a place in due course. mc claren won't be happy if he spends most of his stay on the bench.
Can see him as a position competition for Yeates, use him like Swindon did with Alex Pritchard
[quote][p][bold]albioff[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Baby Bantam[/bold] wrote: Great signing, looks promising but with Clarke and hansons performance against coventry and we ain't set up for wingers I think parkys guna have abit of a scratchy head moment on where he's going to play him in the first team. Impact sub maybe, have to wait and see[/p][/quote]well knowing our record with injuries and crocks no doubt he will find a place in due course. mc claren won't be happy if he spends most of his stay on the bench.[/p][/quote]Can see him as a position competition for Yeates, use him like Swindon did with Alex Pritchard Baby Bantam
  • Score: 2

7:45pm Tue 12 Aug 14

hepworth_123 says...

McLean wants out, he's not happy been told he has to move north, so he requested he moves on
McLean wants out, he's not happy been told he has to move north, so he requested he moves on hepworth_123
  • Score: 4

8:15pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Wyke 1981 says...

hepworth_123 wrote:
McLean wants out, he's not happy been told he has to move north, so he requested he moves on
I heard the same Saturday that McClean wants out, no big loss in my opinion, he was a expensive pannic buy when we sold judas wells to town.

Welcome to valley parade Mason Bennett
[quote][p][bold]hepworth_123[/bold] wrote: McLean wants out, he's not happy been told he has to move north, so he requested he moves on[/p][/quote]I heard the same Saturday that McClean wants out, no big loss in my opinion, he was a expensive pannic buy when we sold judas wells to town. Welcome to valley parade Mason Bennett Wyke 1981
  • Score: 2

8:22pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Bradford Lad BD9 says...

Mason bennett was wanted by his ex boss at sheff utd just a few weeks ago, lets hope mclean moves on coz if his heart is not set here he will show it in his performances.
Mason bennett was wanted by his ex boss at sheff utd just a few weeks ago, lets hope mclean moves on coz if his heart is not set here he will show it in his performances. Bradford Lad BD9
  • Score: 0

8:58pm Tue 12 Aug 14

lawsonio123 says...

It is interesting What now of the Goal Scoring Forward it does not look good for him now we seem to be quite well off for forwards. The problem is of course he has a long contract and can just sit back and get his salary or get down to putting his all into scoring which will it be At the moment he does not appear to want to move house a problem which should have been sorted before signing the player. From City point of view they need a player who whole heartedly puts his all into earning his wages. He may well do this but should this not be the case then it may be best if arrangements can be made for him to move on if they can get him to agree always remembering that contract Lets us hope it all works out well one way or the other
It is interesting What now of the Goal Scoring Forward it does not look good for him now we seem to be quite well off for forwards. The problem is of course he has a long contract and can just sit back and get his salary or get down to putting his all into scoring which will it be At the moment he does not appear to want to move house a problem which should have been sorted before signing the player. From City point of view they need a player who whole heartedly puts his all into earning his wages. He may well do this but should this not be the case then it may be best if arrangements can be made for him to move on if they can get him to agree always remembering that contract Lets us hope it all works out well one way or the other lawsonio123
  • Score: 0

9:31pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Baby Bantam says...

Bradford Lad BD9 wrote:
Mason bennett was wanted by his ex boss at sheff utd just a few weeks ago, lets hope mclean moves on coz if his heart is not set here he will show it in his performances.
And then the lad scores
[quote][p][bold]Bradford Lad BD9[/bold] wrote: Mason bennett was wanted by his ex boss at sheff utd just a few weeks ago, lets hope mclean moves on coz if his heart is not set here he will show it in his performances.[/p][/quote]And then the lad scores Baby Bantam
  • Score: 4

9:51pm Tue 12 Aug 14

tinytoonster says...

Bantambhoy wrote:
tinytoonster wrote:
i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean?
not looking like he's going to get much starts.
nice big wage sat on the bench!
Good grief, WHINGER!!
Sorry PP, you can't win with some.
I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.
not whinging, lawn told parky he did not want players with big salaries as squad players who would just sit on the bench.
just ironic thats what mclean seems to be!
i prefer heart over money.
rather see a young trier than a well paid slacker.
[quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench![/p][/quote]Good grief, WHINGER!! Sorry PP, you can't win with some. I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.[/p][/quote]not whinging, lawn told parky he did not want players with big salaries as squad players who would just sit on the bench. just ironic thats what mclean seems to be! i prefer heart over money. rather see a young trier than a well paid slacker. tinytoonster
  • Score: -7

10:54pm Tue 12 Aug 14

Boing-Boing says...

bantam85 wrote:
I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though

A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID
As I remember it you were asking what ppl on here thought about this lad, at the time none of us had heard so therefore couldn't rate him. Your being harsh on peter about the this but I may be unaware of any bad blood that seems to be between you.
I hope this lad fulfills his potential here, Hanson McLean Clarke and this young kid could be a decent front line in the comi ng season! Midfield looking to be taking shape and we know how good our defence is rated! Good on PP!
[quote][p][bold]bantam85[/bold] wrote: I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID[/p][/quote]As I remember it you were asking what ppl on here thought about this lad, at the time none of us had heard so therefore couldn't rate him. Your being harsh on peter about the this but I may be unaware of any bad blood that seems to be between you. I hope this lad fulfills his potential here, Hanson McLean Clarke and this young kid could be a decent front line in the comi ng season! Midfield looking to be taking shape and we know how good our defence is rated! Good on PP! Boing-Boing
  • Score: -1

11:07pm Tue 12 Aug 14

bcfcincheshire says...

McLean winner! Let's just see how things work out for him..2 wins back to back...Cup run begun...very good squad now..bring on Walsall !
McLean winner! Let's just see how things work out for him..2 wins back to back...Cup run begun...very good squad now..bring on Walsall ! bcfcincheshire
  • Score: 1

11:49pm Tue 12 Aug 14

bantam85 says...

Boing-Boing wrote:
bantam85 wrote:
I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though

A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID
As I remember it you were asking what ppl on here thought about this lad, at the time none of us had heard so therefore couldn't rate him. Your being harsh on peter about the this but I may be unaware of any bad blood that seems to be between you.
I hope this lad fulfills his potential here, Hanson McLean Clarke and this young kid could be a decent front line in the comi ng season! Midfield looking to be taking shape and we know how good our defence is rated! Good on PP!
There's no bad blood but I, among others, get extremely frustrated by his constant criticism of posts without ever offering up an opinion of his own. When you respond to his criticism you just get ignored and he goes on to the next days article for more criticising! Anyway, enough of him as it is probably beginning to sound like an obsession.

We've got the makings of an excellent forward line now. I feel the criticism of Mclean is a tad unjust. It's clear he knows where the goal is as shown by the last few games of last season. Given a good run of games with no injury worries and he'll come good. I don't think Bennett will start many games and will be used as an impact sub and his versatility will stand him in good stead should any injuries arise.
[quote][p][bold]Boing-Boing[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bantam85[/bold] wrote: I mentioned this was in the pipeline at the beginning of last week and as usual it was met with criticism from Peter300. Well boring Pete, when you said nobody even knows this young lad, let alone rates him, it seems that you were wrong and that it looks like he's rated very highly by the Derby management and fans and by our own PP. Highly unlikely you will reply to this post and admit your mistake though A very warm welcome to Mason and if the glowing references I've heard about him are even half true then we could have a very exciting young player on our hands. CTID[/p][/quote]As I remember it you were asking what ppl on here thought about this lad, at the time none of us had heard so therefore couldn't rate him. Your being harsh on peter about the this but I may be unaware of any bad blood that seems to be between you. I hope this lad fulfills his potential here, Hanson McLean Clarke and this young kid could be a decent front line in the comi ng season! Midfield looking to be taking shape and we know how good our defence is rated! Good on PP![/p][/quote]There's no bad blood but I, among others, get extremely frustrated by his constant criticism of posts without ever offering up an opinion of his own. When you respond to his criticism you just get ignored and he goes on to the next days article for more criticising! Anyway, enough of him as it is probably beginning to sound like an obsession. We've got the makings of an excellent forward line now. I feel the criticism of Mclean is a tad unjust. It's clear he knows where the goal is as shown by the last few games of last season. Given a good run of games with no injury worries and he'll come good. I don't think Bennett will start many games and will be used as an impact sub and his versatility will stand him in good stead should any injuries arise. bantam85
  • Score: 3

12:20am Wed 13 Aug 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

Where is Peter then? He wasn't acting like a teacher on this thread l see.
He must try harder :-)
Where is Peter then? He wasn't acting like a teacher on this thread l see. He must try harder :-) Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: 0

9:52am Wed 13 Aug 14

Plastic Bantam says...

Wyke 1981 wrote:
hepworth_123 wrote: McLean wants out, he's not happy been told he has to move north, so he requested he moves on
I heard the same Saturday that McClean wants out, no big loss in my opinion, he was a expensive pannic buy when we sold judas wells to town. Welcome to valley parade Mason Bennett
Did not look like he wanted out last night!! He spent a good 10 minutes at half time signing autographs and taking photos with the kids... Then when he came on ran his socks off and got into some good positions... oh yeah and scored!! and had a big smile on his face...

Seriously some of you "ITK" are morons, you just make rubbish up!!
[quote][p][bold]Wyke 1981[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]hepworth_123[/bold] wrote: McLean wants out, he's not happy been told he has to move north, so he requested he moves on[/p][/quote]I heard the same Saturday that McClean wants out, no big loss in my opinion, he was a expensive pannic buy when we sold judas wells to town. Welcome to valley parade Mason Bennett[/p][/quote]Did not look like he wanted out last night!! He spent a good 10 minutes at half time signing autographs and taking photos with the kids... Then when he came on ran his socks off and got into some good positions... oh yeah and scored!! and had a big smile on his face... Seriously some of you "ITK" are morons, you just make rubbish up!! Plastic Bantam
  • Score: 1

9:54am Wed 13 Aug 14

Plastic Bantam says...

tinytoonster wrote:
Bantambhoy wrote:
tinytoonster wrote: i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench!
Good grief, WHINGER!! Sorry PP, you can't win with some. I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.
not whinging, lawn told parky he did not want players with big salaries as squad players who would just sit on the bench. just ironic thats what mclean seems to be! i prefer heart over money. rather see a young trier than a well paid slacker.
We've had one bloody league game and the guy has been injured all pre-season.. How does that translate to him now only been a squad player!?!?!
[quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench![/p][/quote]Good grief, WHINGER!! Sorry PP, you can't win with some. I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.[/p][/quote]not whinging, lawn told parky he did not want players with big salaries as squad players who would just sit on the bench. just ironic thats what mclean seems to be! i prefer heart over money. rather see a young trier than a well paid slacker.[/p][/quote]We've had one bloody league game and the guy has been injured all pre-season.. How does that translate to him now only been a squad player!?!?! Plastic Bantam
  • Score: 1

2:13pm Wed 13 Aug 14

Michael Clayton says...

tinytoonster wrote:
Bantambhoy wrote:
tinytoonster wrote: i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench!
Good grief, WHINGER!! Sorry PP, you can't win with some. I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.
not whinging, lawn told parky he did not want players with big salaries as squad players who would just sit on the bench. just ironic thats what mclean seems to be! i prefer heart over money. rather see a young trier than a well paid slacker.
No doubt you were there when Lawn told Parky? How else would you have known.
[quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Bantambhoy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: i take it this means parky wasted the wages on mclean? not looking like he's going to get much starts. nice big wage sat on the bench![/p][/quote]Good grief, WHINGER!! Sorry PP, you can't win with some. I think we now have a great squad and can't wait for more action.[/p][/quote]not whinging, lawn told parky he did not want players with big salaries as squad players who would just sit on the bench. just ironic thats what mclean seems to be! i prefer heart over money. rather see a young trier than a well paid slacker.[/p][/quote]No doubt you were there when Lawn told Parky? How else would you have known. Michael Clayton
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree