Construction work to start 'late in fourth quarter of 2013'

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: An artist’s impression of the Westfield centre, from Forster Square An artist’s impression of the Westfield centre, from Forster Square

More than half the floorspace in the £320 million Westfield shopping centre on Broadway is now “spoken for” by retailers, with more expected to sign up soon.

A new report looking at work being carried out prior to construction starting says anchor tenants Marks & Spencer and Debenhams have now been joined by Next.

A spokesman for Westfield said: “2013 has seen solid momentum on the Bradford Broadway development with the signings of new retailers including Next, WHSmith, Vodafone and Phones 4U to join confirmed anchors Debenhams and Marks & Spencer.”

Those new signings are in addition to their existing city centre shops.

“Earlier this year, Westfield secured planning permission to create an additional third sales level for Debenhams and a number of new retailers are currently in contractual negotiations,” said the spokesman. “Since February this year, Westfield has submitted the required documentation to discharge all of the planning conditions which need to be discharged prior to start of construction.

“Of the pre-start conditions, only three remain to be discharged and it is expected that these will be discharged in mid October.

“The exact start date is still subject to finalising the remaining retailer contractual agreements. However, Westfield is working intensively with the relevant retailers to facilitate a start late in the fourth quarter of 2013.”

The report to the Regeneration and Economy Overview and Scrutiny Committee meeting on Thursday, October 10, said: “Including prospective occupiers where solicitors have been instructed and where detailed heads of terms are in negotiation, over half of the proposed floor area is now spoken for.”

In terms of officially-confirmed tenants, contracts have been exchanged for 18,500 sq m of the total 53,000 sq m proposed centre, the report added.

More are expected to sign up soon thanks to the assistance from the Council’s Growth Zone business rate scheme, which is available to Westfield tenants along with the rest of the city centre. It is also reported that 2,500 retail jobs could eventually be created by the Westfield development.

The Council’s £35 million City Centre Growth Zone initiative uses money from the Government’s Regional Growth Fund to entice new and existing city centre businesses to open or expand and create new jobs.

Eligible firms can receive rate rebates if they demonstrate that they are creating new jobs in Bradford city centre.

The news comes days after business leaders from advocacy group Bradford Breakthrough tried to get more restaurant and leisure businesses to open around the Westfield site.

The aim is to create a ‘leisure hub’ around the Westfield centre, in areas such as Market Street.

Bradford Breakthrough says having more restaurants is vital to the regeneration of the city centre.

e-mail: dolores.cowburn@telegraphandargus.co.uk

Comments (40)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:22am Fri 4 Oct 13

joenee says...

Just maybe,hopefully,fing
ers crossed,finally a bit of good news!
Just maybe,hopefully,fing ers crossed,finally a bit of good news! joenee

7:03am Fri 4 Oct 13

Albion. says...

"Those new signings are in addition to their existing city centre shops."
Not for very long, I should think.
"Those new signings are in addition to their existing city centre shops." Not for very long, I should think. Albion.

7:33am Fri 4 Oct 13

Joedavid says...

What will they be saying on 31st December 2013?
What will they be saying on 31st December 2013? Joedavid

7:44am Fri 4 Oct 13

thatsnotmyname says...

Lets all keep fingers and toes crossed that it does start this year as it would be a big boost to Bradford confidence.
Lets all keep fingers and toes crossed that it does start this year as it would be a big boost to Bradford confidence. thatsnotmyname

8:16am Fri 4 Oct 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Now been joined by next. A simple search on this site show this news months and months ago. The reporters are a joke.
Now been joined by next. A simple search on this site show this news months and months ago. The reporters are a joke. Thee Voice of Reason

8:17am Fri 4 Oct 13

collos25 says...

Have we not heard all this before is just a repeat of statements made every six months or so over many years.The only statement Westfield can make is to start building anything else is just hot air.
Have we not heard all this before is just a repeat of statements made every six months or so over many years.The only statement Westfield can make is to start building anything else is just hot air. collos25

8:30am Fri 4 Oct 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

So the headline is more than 50% is prelet but the story says 18,500 of 53,000 which for anyone with any maths skills will know is nowhere near 50%.

It's all spin and lies.
So the headline is more than 50% is prelet but the story says 18,500 of 53,000 which for anyone with any maths skills will know is nowhere near 50%. It's all spin and lies. Thee Voice of Reason

8:45am Fri 4 Oct 13

Apollo says...

This is complete jackanory. No units have been let. A few retailers have expressed interest with no committment.

Late in Q4 means early December when the weather can be blamed for nothing happening. Wastefield have no intentions whatsoever of starting this development.

I would be ashamed if I were the T&A editor for reporting such blatant rubbish. Shame on you.
This is complete jackanory. No units have been let. A few retailers have expressed interest with no committment. Late in Q4 means early December when the weather can be blamed for nothing happening. Wastefield have no intentions whatsoever of starting this development. I would be ashamed if I were the T&A editor for reporting such blatant rubbish. Shame on you. Apollo

9:06am Fri 4 Oct 13

ProudBradfordian says...

Its an absolute joke... 10+ years and we're still waiting while Westfield build other malls first. Its been at this stage for years and you can bet that come 2014 when no work has started we'll get the same half baked excuses like now
Its an absolute joke... 10+ years and we're still waiting while Westfield build other malls first. Its been at this stage for years and you can bet that come 2014 when no work has started we'll get the same half baked excuses like now ProudBradfordian

9:20am Fri 4 Oct 13

tyker7745 says...

another repeat: it's worse than the BBC. Last quarter o the year. Calendar year of fiscal year.

They can build all over the country and get jobs done almost immediately,
Do they not like the demographic of Bradford?
another repeat: it's worse than the BBC. Last quarter o the year. Calendar year of fiscal year. They can build all over the country and get jobs done almost immediately, Do they not like the demographic of Bradford? tyker7745

9:31am Fri 4 Oct 13

mad matt says...

* Yawns, turns over and goes back to sleep*
* Yawns, turns over and goes back to sleep* mad matt

9:38am Fri 4 Oct 13

MontyLeMar says...

This is now beyond a joke. Are the T & A guilty of printing articles designed to stir up the emotions of the people of Bradford? I think the only way to definitely get this built is to give a 10 year rates holiday to all businesses which sign up, say, before December 2014. We all know that city centre rents and business rates are just too high for most businesses who also have to compete with the internet where you can get things at half the price.
This is now beyond a joke. Are the T & A guilty of printing articles designed to stir up the emotions of the people of Bradford? I think the only way to definitely get this built is to give a 10 year rates holiday to all businesses which sign up, say, before December 2014. We all know that city centre rents and business rates are just too high for most businesses who also have to compete with the internet where you can get things at half the price. MontyLeMar

9:42am Fri 4 Oct 13

Pondlover says...

It is yet another "no news" story, this rag should be ashamed, it's been re-arranging the same words for a long, long time for umpteen non-stories.

We have the anchor tenants plus a newsagent and 2 phone shops, er, that's it. It's the same floorspace let as has been forever. It's a proposed second rate, downsized and dreary mall that wouldn't be able to compete with any in Leeds, IF, it was ever built or occupied.

The space however, provides a fantastic opportunity for Bradford, will it take it? Of course not.
It is yet another "no news" story, this rag should be ashamed, it's been re-arranging the same words for a long, long time for umpteen non-stories. We have the anchor tenants plus a newsagent and 2 phone shops, er, that's it. It's the same floorspace let as has been forever. It's a proposed second rate, downsized and dreary mall that wouldn't be able to compete with any in Leeds, IF, it was ever built or occupied. The space however, provides a fantastic opportunity for Bradford, will it take it? Of course not. Pondlover

9:50am Fri 4 Oct 13

Parz says...

Believe it when I see it.
Believe it when I see it. Parz

10:16am Fri 4 Oct 13

mr-mixalot says...

Another load of BS from the inept organisation that is the TA

I'm sure they only print these stories so that we will come online and comment on them, otherwise the hit count of their website would fail to push into 3 figures on a daily basis

Just my opinion
Another load of BS from the inept organisation that is the TA I'm sure they only print these stories so that we will come online and comment on them, otherwise the hit count of their website would fail to push into 3 figures on a daily basis Just my opinion mr-mixalot

10:21am Fri 4 Oct 13

bd7 helper says...

Bradford is huge but no one still goes in our city centre
Bradford is huge but no one still goes in our city centre bd7 helper

10:24am Fri 4 Oct 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Dolores,

This is some of the worst half ar$ed reporting I have ever seen.

To go through your points one by one.

More than half the floorspace is "Spoken for". Spoken for means nothing, I can log onto Argos now and reserve an item, it is then spoken for but it means nothing. I'm not tied into completing my end of the bargin, so this really means absolutely nothing. More expected to sign soon, we've had 10 years and we have reached 35% signed on the dotted line, what is the definition of soon?

What is this new report that is announcing Next have joined, a quick look through the archives shows Next was announced several times here is one from March this year announcing it like you have today as if it is new news.
http://www.thetelegr
aphandargus.co.uk/ne
ws/10323710.Next_sig
ns_new_deal_for_flag
ship_store_in_Westfi
eld_s_Broadway_devel
opment

Have you had word from the stores that they aren't closing their existing shops, WH Smiths looks like they are doing little to maintain the place suggesting they will move asap, the same can be said for Marks and Spencers too. Or are you taking this as gospel from Westfield?

We also have notice that Westfield will start late in the 4th Quarter of 2013. Well looking at previous stories in the T&A, It's been revised from 2012, to 2013 to second half of 2013 to last quarter of 2013 and now late last quarter of 2013. This paper might be fobbed off but the public of Bradford aren't...

The figures for floor space are wrong. 53,000 sq m. Westfield is susposed to be building a 570,000 sq m Mall. So either that has been revised down to 530,000 sq m or your figures are just plain wrong.
The floor space mentioned in previous stories puts Next at 32,000, Phones 4U at 1,300, Debenhams at 117,000 and Marks and Spencer at 60,000. That’s a total of 210,300 of 570,000. Aprox 37%. Your story says 18,500 of 53,000 which is clearly utter rubbish and if you put a zero on the end due to typos it still comes to 35%.

"More are expected to sign up soon thanks to the assistance from the Council’s Growth Zone business rate scheme" This has been in place for since Nov 12, it was announced in what makes people think it will be taken up now if it hasn't been taken up already? There is also a timelimit of March 2016 on this money so if Westfield isn't up and running by then anyone who signs up to it will not get it.

Overall, this is just the same rubbish rebranded time and time again. Go out and do some real reporting and get some real accurate figures rather than trying to buy us off with rubbish.

We have heard it all before and we really do deserve much much better, than the council and local paper feeding us rubbish time and time again.
Dolores, This is some of the worst half ar$ed reporting I have ever seen. To go through your points one by one. More than half the floorspace is "Spoken for". Spoken for means nothing, I can log onto Argos now and reserve an item, it is then spoken for but it means nothing. I'm not tied into completing my end of the bargin, so this really means absolutely nothing. More expected to sign soon, we've had 10 years and we have reached 35% signed on the dotted line, what is the definition of soon? What is this new report that is announcing Next have joined, a quick look through the archives shows Next was announced several times here is one from March this year announcing it like you have today as if it is new news. http://www.thetelegr aphandargus.co.uk/ne ws/10323710.Next_sig ns_new_deal_for_flag ship_store_in_Westfi eld_s_Broadway_devel opment Have you had word from the stores that they aren't closing their existing shops, WH Smiths looks like they are doing little to maintain the place suggesting they will move asap, the same can be said for Marks and Spencers too. Or are you taking this as gospel from Westfield? We also have notice that Westfield will start late in the 4th Quarter of 2013. Well looking at previous stories in the T&A, It's been revised from 2012, to 2013 to second half of 2013 to last quarter of 2013 and now late last quarter of 2013. This paper might be fobbed off but the public of Bradford aren't... The figures for floor space are wrong. 53,000 sq m. Westfield is susposed to be building a 570,000 sq m Mall. So either that has been revised down to 530,000 sq m or your figures are just plain wrong. The floor space mentioned in previous stories puts Next at 32,000, Phones 4U at 1,300, Debenhams at 117,000 and Marks and Spencer at 60,000. That’s a total of 210,300 of 570,000. Aprox 37%. Your story says 18,500 of 53,000 which is clearly utter rubbish and if you put a zero on the end due to typos it still comes to 35%. "More are expected to sign up soon thanks to the assistance from the Council’s Growth Zone business rate scheme" This has been in place for since Nov 12, it was announced in what makes people think it will be taken up now if it hasn't been taken up already? There is also a timelimit of March 2016 on this money so if Westfield isn't up and running by then anyone who signs up to it will not get it. Overall, this is just the same rubbish rebranded time and time again. Go out and do some real reporting and get some real accurate figures rather than trying to buy us off with rubbish. We have heard it all before and we really do deserve much much better, than the council and local paper feeding us rubbish time and time again. Thee Voice of Reason

10:33am Fri 4 Oct 13

MontyLeMar says...

bd7 helper wrote:
Bradford is huge but no one still goes in our city centre
Not true. I was there last Wednesday sheltering from the rain in a couple of pubs. Good news is that I didn't get approached for loose change once. I must admit it did look a bit low on shoppers though, they may have been sheltering in Primark.
[quote][p][bold]bd7 helper[/bold] wrote: Bradford is huge but no one still goes in our city centre[/p][/quote]Not true. I was there last Wednesday sheltering from the rain in a couple of pubs. Good news is that I didn't get approached for loose change once. I must admit it did look a bit low on shoppers though, they may have been sheltering in Primark. MontyLeMar

10:42am Fri 4 Oct 13

MontyLeMar says...

@ Thee Voice of Reason

Agree with most of your post but let's not get mixed up on our units. Are we talking square metres or square feet? There's approximately 10.8 square feet in each square metre.
@ Thee Voice of Reason Agree with most of your post but let's not get mixed up on our units. Are we talking square metres or square feet? There's approximately 10.8 square feet in each square metre. MontyLeMar

10:44am Fri 4 Oct 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

MontyLeMar wrote:
@ Thee Voice of Reason Agree with most of your post but let's not get mixed up on our units. Are we talking square metres or square feet? There's approximately 10.8 square feet in each square metre.
My appologies. You are correct. The point still stands nowhere near 50% has been reached and much of the story is just a rehash.
[quote][p][bold]MontyLeMar[/bold] wrote: @ Thee Voice of Reason Agree with most of your post but let's not get mixed up on our units. Are we talking square metres or square feet? There's approximately 10.8 square feet in each square metre.[/p][/quote]My appologies. You are correct. The point still stands nowhere near 50% has been reached and much of the story is just a rehash. Thee Voice of Reason

11:30am Fri 4 Oct 13

baccy2410 says...

We've heard it so many times before, I will believe it when I actually see it happening
We've heard it so many times before, I will believe it when I actually see it happening baccy2410

11:30am Fri 4 Oct 13

Shipley Paul says...

ProudBradfordian wrote:
Its an absolute joke... 10+ years and we're still waiting while Westfield build other malls first. Its been at this stage for years and you can bet that come 2014 when no work has started we'll get the same half baked excuses like now
It is more than that too it's a civic disgrace. How Bradford Council let Westfield get away with turning the centre of town into a desert is absolutely disgusting. No doubt they will say it's someone else's fault and pass the buck again, but they have been collectively responsible for the total demise of our city. Shame on you all!
[quote][p][bold]ProudBradfordian[/bold] wrote: Its an absolute joke... 10+ years and we're still waiting while Westfield build other malls first. Its been at this stage for years and you can bet that come 2014 when no work has started we'll get the same half baked excuses like now[/p][/quote]It is more than that too it's a civic disgrace. How Bradford Council let Westfield get away with turning the centre of town into a desert is absolutely disgusting. No doubt they will say it's someone else's fault and pass the buck again, but they have been collectively responsible for the total demise of our city. Shame on you all! Shipley Paul

11:48am Fri 4 Oct 13

Bone_idle18 says...

Thee Voice of Reason wrote:
Dolores,

This is some of the worst half ar$ed reporting I have ever seen.

To go through your points one by one.

More than half the floorspace is "Spoken for". Spoken for means nothing, I can log onto Argos now and reserve an item, it is then spoken for but it means nothing. I'm not tied into completing my end of the bargin, so this really means absolutely nothing. More expected to sign soon, we've had 10 years and we have reached 35% signed on the dotted line, what is the definition of soon?

What is this new report that is announcing Next have joined, a quick look through the archives shows Next was announced several times here is one from March this year announcing it like you have today as if it is new news.
http://www.thetelegr

aphandargus.co.uk/ne

ws/10323710.Next_sig

ns_new_deal_for_flag

ship_store_in_Westfi

eld_s_Broadway_devel

opment

Have you had word from the stores that they aren't closing their existing shops, WH Smiths looks like they are doing little to maintain the place suggesting they will move asap, the same can be said for Marks and Spencers too. Or are you taking this as gospel from Westfield?

We also have notice that Westfield will start late in the 4th Quarter of 2013. Well looking at previous stories in the T&A, It's been revised from 2012, to 2013 to second half of 2013 to last quarter of 2013 and now late last quarter of 2013. This paper might be fobbed off but the public of Bradford aren't...

The figures for floor space are wrong. 53,000 sq m. Westfield is susposed to be building a 570,000 sq m Mall. So either that has been revised down to 530,000 sq m or your figures are just plain wrong.
The floor space mentioned in previous stories puts Next at 32,000, Phones 4U at 1,300, Debenhams at 117,000 and Marks and Spencer at 60,000. That’s a total of 210,300 of 570,000. Aprox 37%. Your story says 18,500 of 53,000 which is clearly utter rubbish and if you put a zero on the end due to typos it still comes to 35%.

"More are expected to sign up soon thanks to the assistance from the Council’s Growth Zone business rate scheme" This has been in place for since Nov 12, it was announced in what makes people think it will be taken up now if it hasn't been taken up already? There is also a timelimit of March 2016 on this money so if Westfield isn't up and running by then anyone who signs up to it will not get it.

Overall, this is just the same rubbish rebranded time and time again. Go out and do some real reporting and get some real accurate figures rather than trying to buy us off with rubbish.

We have heard it all before and we really do deserve much much better, than the council and local paper feeding us rubbish time and time again.
It's 570,000 sq feet which is 53,000 sq metres.
[quote][p][bold]Thee Voice of Reason[/bold] wrote: Dolores, This is some of the worst half ar$ed reporting I have ever seen. To go through your points one by one. More than half the floorspace is "Spoken for". Spoken for means nothing, I can log onto Argos now and reserve an item, it is then spoken for but it means nothing. I'm not tied into completing my end of the bargin, so this really means absolutely nothing. More expected to sign soon, we've had 10 years and we have reached 35% signed on the dotted line, what is the definition of soon? What is this new report that is announcing Next have joined, a quick look through the archives shows Next was announced several times here is one from March this year announcing it like you have today as if it is new news. http://www.thetelegr aphandargus.co.uk/ne ws/10323710.Next_sig ns_new_deal_for_flag ship_store_in_Westfi eld_s_Broadway_devel opment Have you had word from the stores that they aren't closing their existing shops, WH Smiths looks like they are doing little to maintain the place suggesting they will move asap, the same can be said for Marks and Spencers too. Or are you taking this as gospel from Westfield? We also have notice that Westfield will start late in the 4th Quarter of 2013. Well looking at previous stories in the T&A, It's been revised from 2012, to 2013 to second half of 2013 to last quarter of 2013 and now late last quarter of 2013. This paper might be fobbed off but the public of Bradford aren't... The figures for floor space are wrong. 53,000 sq m. Westfield is susposed to be building a 570,000 sq m Mall. So either that has been revised down to 530,000 sq m or your figures are just plain wrong. The floor space mentioned in previous stories puts Next at 32,000, Phones 4U at 1,300, Debenhams at 117,000 and Marks and Spencer at 60,000. That’s a total of 210,300 of 570,000. Aprox 37%. Your story says 18,500 of 53,000 which is clearly utter rubbish and if you put a zero on the end due to typos it still comes to 35%. "More are expected to sign up soon thanks to the assistance from the Council’s Growth Zone business rate scheme" This has been in place for since Nov 12, it was announced in what makes people think it will be taken up now if it hasn't been taken up already? There is also a timelimit of March 2016 on this money so if Westfield isn't up and running by then anyone who signs up to it will not get it. Overall, this is just the same rubbish rebranded time and time again. Go out and do some real reporting and get some real accurate figures rather than trying to buy us off with rubbish. We have heard it all before and we really do deserve much much better, than the council and local paper feeding us rubbish time and time again.[/p][/quote]It's 570,000 sq feet which is 53,000 sq metres. Bone_idle18

11:56am Fri 4 Oct 13

MrQuinque says...

Bradford Council should put an end to this farce at one, rescind all planning permission and begin proceeding to CPO the land at market value (not westfield's supposed spending up to this point) and then put out to tender for schemes which would really regenerate the city, not a box Mall which is out of date before the doors even open.
Bradford Council should put an end to this farce at one, rescind all planning permission and begin proceeding to CPO the land at market value (not westfield's supposed spending up to this point) and then put out to tender for schemes which would really regenerate the city, not a box Mall which is out of date before the doors even open. MrQuinque

12:33pm Fri 4 Oct 13

Xanadu5579 says...

I guess providing some guy from westfield makes an impression on the ground with his spade before midnight 31st December they can boast how they made a start when they said. Lets face it though, there is a very good chance there will be another reason for a delay, perhaps another town needs their help first, more needy than us
I guess providing some guy from westfield makes an impression on the ground with his spade before midnight 31st December they can boast how they made a start when they said. Lets face it though, there is a very good chance there will be another reason for a delay, perhaps another town needs their help first, more needy than us Xanadu5579

12:39pm Fri 4 Oct 13

Bone_idle18 says...

Very detailed planning application submitted to planning department on 25th September

www.planning4bradfor
d.com/online-applica
tions/applicationDet
ails.do?activeTab=do
cuments&keyVal=MTOIH
MDH0B300
Very detailed planning application submitted to planning department on 25th September www.planning4bradfor d.com/online-applica tions/applicationDet ails.do?activeTab=do cuments&keyVal=MTOIH MDH0B300 Bone_idle18

12:54pm Fri 4 Oct 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Bone_idle18 wrote:
Very detailed planning application submitted to planning department on 25th September www.planning4bradfor d.com/online-applica tions/applicationDet ails.do?activeTab=do cuments&keyVal=M
TOIH MDH0B300
And on the 16th Nov 2012 plans were submitted but nothing has been done.

The original plans back in the day were submitted and approved 10th Sept 2003.

It all means nothing.
[quote][p][bold]Bone_idle18[/bold] wrote: Very detailed planning application submitted to planning department on 25th September www.planning4bradfor d.com/online-applica tions/applicationDet ails.do?activeTab=do cuments&keyVal=M TOIH MDH0B300[/p][/quote]And on the 16th Nov 2012 plans were submitted but nothing has been done. The original plans back in the day were submitted and approved 10th Sept 2003. It all means nothing. Thee Voice of Reason

1:14pm Fri 4 Oct 13

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Look detailed plans dated 2003, the building must be starting soon.

http://www.planning4
bradford.com/online-
applications/applica
tionDetails.do?activ
eTab=documents&keyVa
l=0203872FUL
Look detailed plans dated 2003, the building must be starting soon. http://www.planning4 bradford.com/online- applications/applica tionDetails.do?activ eTab=documents&keyVa l=0203872FUL Thee Voice of Reason

2:18pm Fri 4 Oct 13

OLDLAD says...

They still will not have started by the time the newly announced shopping complex in Leeds is opened. Leeds can attract business with no problem maybe they council should ask them how they do it because they cannot.
They still will not have started by the time the newly announced shopping complex in Leeds is opened. Leeds can attract business with no problem maybe they council should ask them how they do it because they cannot. OLDLAD

3:27pm Fri 4 Oct 13

vikksy says...

We should take bets on this one. Anyone wish to start?
We should take bets on this one. Anyone wish to start? vikksy

3:54pm Fri 4 Oct 13

bonoforpm says...

By my reckoning that makes at least 6 stores that Next are going to have in there, at this rate there won't be room for anybody else !

But, it's now moved to late 4th quarter, it keeps creeping further and further away
By my reckoning that makes at least 6 stores that Next are going to have in there, at this rate there won't be room for anybody else ! But, it's now moved to late 4th quarter, it keeps creeping further and further away bonoforpm

6:31pm Fri 4 Oct 13

RollandSmoke says...

Here's a hypothetical scenario for you. If you were from a country who through it's media, movies ect were carrying out a demonisation campaign against another religion, what better way to ferment the tensions than to find a town like Bradford, with it's fairly equal racial divide, destroy a substancial chunk of it's town center and send the city into decline? This inevitably results in rampant finger pointing as one side blames the other for the cities woes.If you can then hold back on replacing what you have destroyed for over a decade you have a situation where the finger pointing has turned into outright hatred. The motto of the Israeli Mossad is "War by deception". This is something that Frank Lowy will be well aware of. I challenge anyone to tell me that Bradford has not been deceived.
Here's a hypothetical scenario for you. If you were from a country who through it's media, movies ect were carrying out a demonisation campaign against another religion, what better way to ferment the tensions than to find a town like Bradford, with it's fairly equal racial divide, destroy a substancial chunk of it's town center and send the city into decline? This inevitably results in rampant finger pointing as one side blames the other for the cities woes.If you can then hold back on replacing what you have destroyed for over a decade you have a situation where the finger pointing has turned into outright hatred. The motto of the Israeli Mossad is "War by deception". This is something that Frank Lowy will be well aware of. I challenge anyone to tell me that Bradford has not been deceived. RollandSmoke

7:39pm Fri 4 Oct 13

mister whippy says...

Oh Dolores, if you ever aspire to getting a job with a proper newspaper, you really must do better than this. Over 50% of space ISNT signed up and pre-let, its more like 33%, the vast majority of which is accounted for by the anchor tenants. and the phrase, "Debenhams and M&S have now been joined by Next" is embarrassing, even by T&A standards! On quiet news days for several years, its been trotted out that Next have signed up, so stop pretending that they are a new tenant! And I don't suppose you thought to ask them what the crucial cut off point is on the number of tenants before they actually might start building it is, dod you?
Oh Dolores, if you ever aspire to getting a job with a proper newspaper, you really must do better than this. Over 50% of space ISNT signed up and pre-let, its more like 33%, the vast majority of which is accounted for by the anchor tenants. and the phrase, "Debenhams and M&S have now been joined by Next" is embarrassing, even by T&A standards! On quiet news days for several years, its been trotted out that Next have signed up, so stop pretending that they are a new tenant! And I don't suppose you thought to ask them what the crucial cut off point is on the number of tenants before they actually might start building it is, dod you? mister whippy

11:18pm Fri 4 Oct 13

johnhem says...

lets hope these companies signatures are set in concrete, because on the westfield site bugga all else is.
lets hope these companies signatures are set in concrete, because on the westfield site bugga all else is. johnhem

3:31am Sat 5 Oct 13

Ahrmen Aleg says...

Words of the prophet of Doom
Or So I"ve been told.

Why Westfield Bradford if ever built will fail.Miserably.

1.The Demographic make up.Bradford people are generally poor.Next M & S and Debs cater for the middle classes.Bradford folk like bazaars that are springing everywhere (legal and unlawfull).That has changed dramatically over the past ten years in Bradford and is predicted to change even more over the next 15. 50 pc population to be under 25 with little job prospects. forecast.
2.The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way.Others comment historically that parts of that"60"s development never had a tenant from being built to demolition.Petergate and the Cinecentre area were never hotspots retail areas.The City now has two such established areas that house M &S Next Phones for Us Wh Smith.
3.Sheffields experience says that the traditional established areas will suffer,Darley Street and Foster Retail.
4.2500 job expectations is a joke.Meadowhall employs 7000 many part time or seasonal or weekend workers.That gets 30 million visitors and is strategically sited on the M1 not in a bottleneck "HOLE" that I would"nt travel to given the City"s inaccesability.Its reported this will cost £320 million.Meadowhall was sold last year (or 50 pc of it)for £348 million. Who would build it with numbers like that.It looks no better than the BHS WH Smith Broadway used to.And that was declining 15 years ago.


The best solution.
Compulsory purchase by Bradford Council with some of their reserves.(129 million and counting)

underground car park overground proper park,Adsa at Canal Road end for all those City high flyers (those that live there).

Offer Westfield or the new owners next to nothing.
They have severely messed this City about and deserve nothing in return certainly not the £80 million the idiots claim the hole has cost to date.
I could not see £8 million in it.
If they build it will become the biggest mistake and White Elephant in the history of the City as internet shopping takes over in the next 10 years.

But councillor Hinchcliffe wants it.

Because there are now no nice shops.
Has she stopped to ask WHY are there no longer any nice shops (and I believe her on that)
Rubbish everywhere frequenting the City.The main reason.
Monty excepted.And the man who supports BCFC who buys his stee in Colne.

Put us out of our misery council.

CPO it.

They have had there chance.

Its taken so long it has become an anachronism.A failed project.
Admit it and move on to join up our City again and not leave an impression of derilction and decay.
Which is still everywhere else of course.

Bit to fill down the old bowl is there not.With or Without the Hole
Words of the prophet of Doom Or So I"ve been told. Why Westfield Bradford if ever built will fail.Miserably. 1.The Demographic make up.Bradford people are generally poor.Next M & S and Debs cater for the middle classes.Bradford folk like bazaars that are springing everywhere (legal and unlawfull).That has changed dramatically over the past ten years in Bradford and is predicted to change even more over the next 15. 50 pc population to be under 25 with little job prospects. forecast. 2.The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way.Others comment historically that parts of that"60"s development never had a tenant from being built to demolition.Petergate and the Cinecentre area were never hotspots retail areas.The City now has two such established areas that house M &S Next Phones for Us Wh Smith. 3.Sheffields experience says that the traditional established areas will suffer,Darley Street and Foster Retail. 4.2500 job expectations is a joke.Meadowhall employs 7000 many part time or seasonal or weekend workers.That gets 30 million visitors and is strategically sited on the M1 not in a bottleneck "HOLE" that I would"nt travel to given the City"s inaccesability.Its reported this will cost £320 million.Meadowhall was sold last year (or 50 pc of it)for £348 million. Who would build it with numbers like that.It looks no better than the BHS WH Smith Broadway used to.And that was declining 15 years ago. The best solution. Compulsory purchase by Bradford Council with some of their reserves.(129 million and counting) underground car park overground proper park,Adsa at Canal Road end for all those City high flyers (those that live there). Offer Westfield or the new owners next to nothing. They have severely messed this City about and deserve nothing in return certainly not the £80 million the idiots claim the hole has cost to date. I could not see £8 million in it. If they build it will become the biggest mistake and White Elephant in the history of the City as internet shopping takes over in the next 10 years. But councillor Hinchcliffe wants it. Because there are now no nice shops. Has she stopped to ask WHY are there no longer any nice shops (and I believe her on that) Rubbish everywhere frequenting the City.The main reason. Monty excepted.And the man who supports BCFC who buys his stee in Colne. Put us out of our misery council. CPO it. They have had there chance. Its taken so long it has become an anachronism.A failed project. Admit it and move on to join up our City again and not leave an impression of derilction and decay. Which is still everywhere else of course. Bit to fill down the old bowl is there not.With or Without the Hole Ahrmen Aleg

9:20pm Mon 7 Oct 13

Mr Bradford says...

Ahrmen Aleg wrote:
Words of the prophet of Doom
Or So I"ve been told.

Why Westfield Bradford if ever built will fail.Miserably.

1.The Demographic make up.Bradford people are generally poor.Next M & S and Debs cater for the middle classes.Bradford folk like bazaars that are springing everywhere (legal and unlawfull).That has changed dramatically over the past ten years in Bradford and is predicted to change even more over the next 15. 50 pc population to be under 25 with little job prospects. forecast.
2.The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way.Others comment historically that parts of that"60"s development never had a tenant from being built to demolition.Petergate and the Cinecentre area were never hotspots retail areas.The City now has two such established areas that house M &S Next Phones for Us Wh Smith.
3.Sheffields experience says that the traditional established areas will suffer,Darley Street and Foster Retail.
4.2500 job expectations is a joke.Meadowhall employs 7000 many part time or seasonal or weekend workers.That gets 30 million visitors and is strategically sited on the M1 not in a bottleneck "HOLE" that I would"nt travel to given the City"s inaccesability.Its reported this will cost £320 million.Meadowhall was sold last year (or 50 pc of it)for £348 million. Who would build it with numbers like that.It looks no better than the BHS WH Smith Broadway used to.And that was declining 15 years ago.


The best solution.
Compulsory purchase by Bradford Council with some of their reserves.(129 million and counting)

underground car park overground proper park,Adsa at Canal Road end for all those City high flyers (those that live there).

Offer Westfield or the new owners next to nothing.
They have severely messed this City about and deserve nothing in return certainly not the £80 million the idiots claim the hole has cost to date.
I could not see £8 million in it.
If they build it will become the biggest mistake and White Elephant in the history of the City as internet shopping takes over in the next 10 years.

But councillor Hinchcliffe wants it.

Because there are now no nice shops.
Has she stopped to ask WHY are there no longer any nice shops (and I believe her on that)
Rubbish everywhere frequenting the City.The main reason.
Monty excepted.And the man who supports BCFC who buys his stee in Colne.

Put us out of our misery council.

CPO it.

They have had there chance.

Its taken so long it has become an anachronism.A failed project.
Admit it and move on to join up our City again and not leave an impression of derilction and decay.
Which is still everywhere else of course.

Bit to fill down the old bowl is there not.With or Without the Hole
Bradford folk like bazaars? That's certainly not the impression I've been getting recently!
Some of the Asian minority in Bradford like bazaars (as well as the high street retailers...), so let them have them if they are legal and lawful - like nearly all of them are.

If you know anything about the people of Bradford's needs, you'd know there's been a strong demand for a better range of higher quality shops in the city centre for a long time....

You think M&S and Next cater for the middle class (lol).... well these shops are already catering for the middle class in Darley street and Forster Square at the moment, so much so they have confidence to expand and invest so vastly in Bradford.

You say Bradford people are generally poor. So are the people of Wakefield, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Hull, Newcastle.. nearly every northern city...
The Bradford District is home to over half a million people... need I say more?

"The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way"
how do you figure that one out? It looks completely different to what was knocked down :/
It's a good thing it's been scaled down because the first design was way too big and would have looked too overpowering among the many fine Victorian buildings surrounding it.
The new design is sleeker and fits in better, and will only have about 20 less stores.
[quote][p][bold]Ahrmen Aleg[/bold] wrote: Words of the prophet of Doom Or So I"ve been told. Why Westfield Bradford if ever built will fail.Miserably. 1.The Demographic make up.Bradford people are generally poor.Next M & S and Debs cater for the middle classes.Bradford folk like bazaars that are springing everywhere (legal and unlawfull).That has changed dramatically over the past ten years in Bradford and is predicted to change even more over the next 15. 50 pc population to be under 25 with little job prospects. forecast. 2.The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way.Others comment historically that parts of that"60"s development never had a tenant from being built to demolition.Petergate and the Cinecentre area were never hotspots retail areas.The City now has two such established areas that house M &S Next Phones for Us Wh Smith. 3.Sheffields experience says that the traditional established areas will suffer,Darley Street and Foster Retail. 4.2500 job expectations is a joke.Meadowhall employs 7000 many part time or seasonal or weekend workers.That gets 30 million visitors and is strategically sited on the M1 not in a bottleneck "HOLE" that I would"nt travel to given the City"s inaccesability.Its reported this will cost £320 million.Meadowhall was sold last year (or 50 pc of it)for £348 million. Who would build it with numbers like that.It looks no better than the BHS WH Smith Broadway used to.And that was declining 15 years ago. The best solution. Compulsory purchase by Bradford Council with some of their reserves.(129 million and counting) underground car park overground proper park,Adsa at Canal Road end for all those City high flyers (those that live there). Offer Westfield or the new owners next to nothing. They have severely messed this City about and deserve nothing in return certainly not the £80 million the idiots claim the hole has cost to date. I could not see £8 million in it. If they build it will become the biggest mistake and White Elephant in the history of the City as internet shopping takes over in the next 10 years. But councillor Hinchcliffe wants it. Because there are now no nice shops. Has she stopped to ask WHY are there no longer any nice shops (and I believe her on that) Rubbish everywhere frequenting the City.The main reason. Monty excepted.And the man who supports BCFC who buys his stee in Colne. Put us out of our misery council. CPO it. They have had there chance. Its taken so long it has become an anachronism.A failed project. Admit it and move on to join up our City again and not leave an impression of derilction and decay. Which is still everywhere else of course. Bit to fill down the old bowl is there not.With or Without the Hole[/p][/quote]Bradford folk like bazaars? That's certainly not the impression I've been getting recently! Some of the Asian minority in Bradford like bazaars (as well as the high street retailers...), so let them have them if they are legal and lawful - like nearly all of them are. If you know anything about the people of Bradford's needs, you'd know there's been a strong demand for a better range of higher quality shops in the city centre for a long time.... You think M&S and Next cater for the middle class (lol).... well these shops are already catering for the middle class in Darley street and Forster Square at the moment, so much so they have confidence to expand and invest so vastly in Bradford. You say Bradford people are generally poor. So are the people of Wakefield, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Hull, Newcastle.. nearly every northern city... The Bradford District is home to over half a million people... need I say more? "The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way" how do you figure that one out? It looks completely different to what was knocked down :/ It's a good thing it's been scaled down because the first design was way too big and would have looked too overpowering among the many fine Victorian buildings surrounding it. The new design is sleeker and fits in better, and will only have about 20 less stores. Mr Bradford

11:09pm Mon 7 Oct 13

collos25 says...

Where do you buy your glasses I want a pair.
Where do you buy your glasses I want a pair. collos25

10:52am Tue 8 Oct 13

webshow says...

Westfield have made our city voted the second crap** in the UK.
They should be financially penalised for this.
Westfield have made our city voted the second crap** in the UK. They should be financially penalised for this. webshow

7:32pm Wed 9 Oct 13

Albion. says...

Mr Bradford wrote:
Ahrmen Aleg wrote:
Words of the prophet of Doom
Or So I"ve been told.

Why Westfield Bradford if ever built will fail.Miserably.

1.The Demographic make up.Bradford people are generally poor.Next M & S and Debs cater for the middle classes.Bradford folk like bazaars that are springing everywhere (legal and unlawfull).That has changed dramatically over the past ten years in Bradford and is predicted to change even more over the next 15. 50 pc population to be under 25 with little job prospects. forecast.
2.The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way.Others comment historically that parts of that"60"s development never had a tenant from being built to demolition.Petergate and the Cinecentre area were never hotspots retail areas.The City now has two such established areas that house M &S Next Phones for Us Wh Smith.
3.Sheffields experience says that the traditional established areas will suffer,Darley Street and Foster Retail.
4.2500 job expectations is a joke.Meadowhall employs 7000 many part time or seasonal or weekend workers.That gets 30 million visitors and is strategically sited on the M1 not in a bottleneck "HOLE" that I would"nt travel to given the City"s inaccesability.Its reported this will cost £320 million.Meadowhall was sold last year (or 50 pc of it)for £348 million. Who would build it with numbers like that.It looks no better than the BHS WH Smith Broadway used to.And that was declining 15 years ago.


The best solution.
Compulsory purchase by Bradford Council with some of their reserves.(129 million and counting)

underground car park overground proper park,Adsa at Canal Road end for all those City high flyers (those that live there).

Offer Westfield or the new owners next to nothing.
They have severely messed this City about and deserve nothing in return certainly not the £80 million the idiots claim the hole has cost to date.
I could not see £8 million in it.
If they build it will become the biggest mistake and White Elephant in the history of the City as internet shopping takes over in the next 10 years.

But councillor Hinchcliffe wants it.

Because there are now no nice shops.
Has she stopped to ask WHY are there no longer any nice shops (and I believe her on that)
Rubbish everywhere frequenting the City.The main reason.
Monty excepted.And the man who supports BCFC who buys his stee in Colne.

Put us out of our misery council.

CPO it.

They have had there chance.

Its taken so long it has become an anachronism.A failed project.
Admit it and move on to join up our City again and not leave an impression of derilction and decay.
Which is still everywhere else of course.

Bit to fill down the old bowl is there not.With or Without the Hole
Bradford folk like bazaars? That's certainly not the impression I've been getting recently!
Some of the Asian minority in Bradford like bazaars (as well as the high street retailers...), so let them have them if they are legal and lawful - like nearly all of them are.

If you know anything about the people of Bradford's needs, you'd know there's been a strong demand for a better range of higher quality shops in the city centre for a long time....

You think M&S and Next cater for the middle class (lol).... well these shops are already catering for the middle class in Darley street and Forster Square at the moment, so much so they have confidence to expand and invest so vastly in Bradford.

You say Bradford people are generally poor. So are the people of Wakefield, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Hull, Newcastle.. nearly every northern city...
The Bradford District is home to over half a million people... need I say more?

"The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way"
how do you figure that one out? It looks completely different to what was knocked down :/
It's a good thing it's been scaled down because the first design was way too big and would have looked too overpowering among the many fine Victorian buildings surrounding it.
The new design is sleeker and fits in better, and will only have about 20 less stores.
It's actually been scaled down twice, simply because they couldn't get traders to sign up, even at the current much scaled down level they are struggling to go much beyond 50%.
There is so far only one trader signed up who isn't already represented in Bradford, those who have signed up are doing so because of the generous reductions in rates over the first few years, it is unlikely that they will keep their current stores going once they have settled into Westfield. So things look bleak for some other parts of the city, once this (now very unimpressive and with only one concourse level) development is built.
Meanwhile Leeds has more shopping developments than you can visit in a day, and more (certain) to come.
[quote][p][bold]Mr Bradford[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Ahrmen Aleg[/bold] wrote: Words of the prophet of Doom Or So I"ve been told. Why Westfield Bradford if ever built will fail.Miserably. 1.The Demographic make up.Bradford people are generally poor.Next M & S and Debs cater for the middle classes.Bradford folk like bazaars that are springing everywhere (legal and unlawfull).That has changed dramatically over the past ten years in Bradford and is predicted to change even more over the next 15. 50 pc population to be under 25 with little job prospects. forecast. 2.The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way.Others comment historically that parts of that"60"s development never had a tenant from being built to demolition.Petergate and the Cinecentre area were never hotspots retail areas.The City now has two such established areas that house M &S Next Phones for Us Wh Smith. 3.Sheffields experience says that the traditional established areas will suffer,Darley Street and Foster Retail. 4.2500 job expectations is a joke.Meadowhall employs 7000 many part time or seasonal or weekend workers.That gets 30 million visitors and is strategically sited on the M1 not in a bottleneck "HOLE" that I would"nt travel to given the City"s inaccesability.Its reported this will cost £320 million.Meadowhall was sold last year (or 50 pc of it)for £348 million. Who would build it with numbers like that.It looks no better than the BHS WH Smith Broadway used to.And that was declining 15 years ago. The best solution. Compulsory purchase by Bradford Council with some of their reserves.(129 million and counting) underground car park overground proper park,Adsa at Canal Road end for all those City high flyers (those that live there). Offer Westfield or the new owners next to nothing. They have severely messed this City about and deserve nothing in return certainly not the £80 million the idiots claim the hole has cost to date. I could not see £8 million in it. If they build it will become the biggest mistake and White Elephant in the history of the City as internet shopping takes over in the next 10 years. But councillor Hinchcliffe wants it. Because there are now no nice shops. Has she stopped to ask WHY are there no longer any nice shops (and I believe her on that) Rubbish everywhere frequenting the City.The main reason. Monty excepted.And the man who supports BCFC who buys his stee in Colne. Put us out of our misery council. CPO it. They have had there chance. Its taken so long it has become an anachronism.A failed project. Admit it and move on to join up our City again and not leave an impression of derilction and decay. Which is still everywhere else of course. Bit to fill down the old bowl is there not.With or Without the Hole[/p][/quote]Bradford folk like bazaars? That's certainly not the impression I've been getting recently! Some of the Asian minority in Bradford like bazaars (as well as the high street retailers...), so let them have them if they are legal and lawful - like nearly all of them are. If you know anything about the people of Bradford's needs, you'd know there's been a strong demand for a better range of higher quality shops in the city centre for a long time.... You think M&S and Next cater for the middle class (lol).... well these shops are already catering for the middle class in Darley street and Forster Square at the moment, so much so they have confidence to expand and invest so vastly in Bradford. You say Bradford people are generally poor. So are the people of Wakefield, Leeds, Manchester, Sheffield, Liverpool, Hull, Newcastle.. nearly every northern city... The Bradford District is home to over half a million people... need I say more? "The scaled down version is uninspiring and not dissimilar to the 60"s nonsense demolished to make way" how do you figure that one out? It looks completely different to what was knocked down :/ It's a good thing it's been scaled down because the first design was way too big and would have looked too overpowering among the many fine Victorian buildings surrounding it. The new design is sleeker and fits in better, and will only have about 20 less stores.[/p][/quote]It's actually been scaled down twice, simply because they couldn't get traders to sign up, even at the current much scaled down level they are struggling to go much beyond 50%. There is so far only one trader signed up who isn't already represented in Bradford, those who have signed up are doing so because of the generous reductions in rates over the first few years, it is unlikely that they will keep their current stores going once they have settled into Westfield. So things look bleak for some other parts of the city, once this (now very unimpressive and with only one concourse level) development is built. Meanwhile Leeds has more shopping developments than you can visit in a day, and more (certain) to come. Albion.

5:18pm Thu 10 Oct 13

Bfd bloke says...

I think that the new centre will have significant advantages over the old shopping areas,

1) It is all level so easier for those with prams/wheelchairs
2) Nearer to public transport bus stops and the Interchange and rail stations plus easier road access
3) All under cover (unlike the 1960s Broadway)
4) The new shops will be bigger than any they replace of the older shops around town, hence increasing attractiveness.
5) The existing M&S store is a disgrace for our city being so small. I am a Bradfordian and resent having to go to Leeds to get clothes at M&S simply because the Bradford branch doesn't have a wide enough range. I would gladly shop at a Debenhams in Bradford as it is easier than going all the way to Leeds but that is my only choice currently. I would spend my money in Bradford if the shops were here.

What I would say is that if Westfield doesn't intend to build imminently they should consider giving the site to M&S/Debenhams/Next who could create an "Owlcotes" style development on the site which would be preferable to our hole continuing for years more.
I think that the new centre will have significant advantages over the old shopping areas, 1) It is all level so easier for those with prams/wheelchairs 2) Nearer to public transport bus stops and the Interchange and rail stations plus easier road access 3) All under cover (unlike the 1960s Broadway) 4) The new shops will be bigger than any they replace of the older shops around town, hence increasing attractiveness. 5) The existing M&S store is a disgrace for our city being so small. I am a Bradfordian and resent having to go to Leeds to get clothes at M&S simply because the Bradford branch doesn't have a wide enough range. I would gladly shop at a Debenhams in Bradford as it is easier than going all the way to Leeds but that is my only choice currently. I would spend my money in Bradford if the shops were here. What I would say is that if Westfield doesn't intend to build imminently they should consider giving the site to M&S/Debenhams/Next who could create an "Owlcotes" style development on the site which would be preferable to our hole continuing for years more. Bfd bloke

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree