ANGRY primary school parents are demanding answers after their children's dream trip to Snowdonia was suddenly switched to a scout camp in Brighouse.
The fun-packed three-day trip was to include a train ride up Mount Snowdon, a visit to Conwy Castle, beach games, and trampolining in an underground cave.
But they were told on Thursday that instead they would be taking part in teambuilding activities at the Bradley Woods residential camp.
Parents of the 11-year-olds have been told they will receive a £30 refund on the £165 cost of the Welsh adventure, which was booked last September.
A letter from chairman of governors Lisa Overend and deputy head teacher Amanda Armstrong, seen by the Telegraph & Argus, said the school was committed to safeguarding children and staff.
It had agreed with the local authority that the risk assessments and arrangements for the planned activities on the trip to Wales were "not sufficiently robust".
It said the trip to Wales had been replaced with the local venue at Bradley Woods, where all risk assessments satisfied standards.
The letter added: "The activities run by the centre ... are designed to promote team-building, confidence and developing self-esteem. We consider these to be vital and pertinent for the year six pupils at this time."
But parent Joanne Phillips, whose daughter Abigail was one of the pupils affected, described the situation as "an absolute shambles".
Ms Phillips said: "We had a couple of meetings about the trip and everything was fine. We got the itinerary last Friday. The letter was sent home with the children at the end of school on Thursday.
"Abigail was really upset. It was supposed to be a few days of fun at the end of school. She has just done her SATS and been under a lot of pressure. This was their bit of fun but it has been taken away at one day's notice.
"They must have known about this before yesterday. We paid our money for a trip to Wales, we should have been consulted before it was changed. It's a lot of money to pay to go to Brighouse."
Ms Phillips, of Keighley, claimed the episode was an example of wider issues at the school.
She said: "The school is badly managed and has been for years. It's getting worse. Abigail has had seven different teachers since September. Year four are on their eighth teacher. The staff need support. I feel sorry for the year six teachers, they are really upset about the Wales trip."
Another parent, commenting on Facebook, said: "I've had a meeting with the deputy head. I went in complaining that class 8 has had a totally wasted year. We get a new stand-in every week. We ain't had any education. I'm gonna get my son extra outside tuition to get him back to where he should be."
In a joint statement Bradford Council and Nessfield Primary School said: “We understand parents’ frustration at the changes being made to the school trip for year six pupils.
“We know what valuable experiences education trips can provide for children however the safety of pupils is of paramount importance. Bradford Council and Nessfield Primary have decided that we were not satisfied with the risk assessments that were in place for this trip and so we have now made alternative arrangements.
“We are confident that our trip to the centre at Bradley Wood will provide our pupils with a variety of enjoyable and rewarding activities to take part in with their friends. However any parents who no longer wish their child to attend the trip should contact the school and will receive a full refund. “
“The Council is aware of concerns raised by parents and is working closely with the school to strengthen the leadership at Nessfield Primary to allow the school to move forwards.”