FATHER-OF-THREE Jonathon Cullearn got flies with his fries when he ordered a McDonald's Happy Meal.
The 23-year-old from Westroyd in Shipley said he had to snatch the chicken nuggets and fries away from his hungry two-year-old son Dylan just as the tot was about to tuck in.
"I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There were loads of tiny green insects crawling all over it. It was disgusting. There were lots of tears from Dylan so it wasn't a happy meal after all!" he said.
Mr Cullearn took the meal and the packaging, that was also covered in flies dead and alive, back to the McDonald's drive thru at Five Lane Ends where he bought it from on Tuesday.
He got an apology and was offered a replacement meal which he refused and then was offered his money back which he accepted.
"No way was I going to be fobbed off with a replacement meal! We'll never eat there again. They said it had been humid recently but that's no excuse. Whoever put that food in that box should have noticed the insects. How could they miss them?" he added.
Mr Cullearn, who posted about the incident along with images of the greenflies on the packaging on his Facebook, said he was made more angry by a member of staff who was going on a break and waiting for food who joked about checking it first for flies.
"I wasn't laughing. It wasn't funny. My child could have eaten them!" he added.
On his Facebook post he warned others: “Don’t ever eat from McDonald’s especially 5 lane ends gets a happy meal got home opened it ants in there still alive some squashed takes it back for it to be like a joke laughed at by one worker making sarcastic comments to his mates manager wasn’t bothered at all got my money back but still disgusting if you ask me especially in a kids happy meal share far and wide! (sic).”
A McDonald’s spokesperson said: "As soon as this matter was brought to our attention, we apologised and refunded Mr Cullearn for the cost of his meal, which was accepted at the time.
"We immediately launched an investigation following the reporting of this incident, during which both the object and restaurant were inspected by an independent health and hygiene specialist.
The investigation found nothing to suggest that this incident occurred within the restaurant. Customer services has been in touch with Mr Cullearn to summarise the findings of the external report.”
MORE TOP STORIES
- Gambling addict left his mother 'penniless' in care home after fleecing her cash
- Second independent candidate steps down in Bradford West
- UPDATED WITH MORE PICS - GALLERY: Saltaire Arts Trail
- Double trouble: Police seize car driven past them as they wait for a recovery vehicle for one they seized earlier
- GALLERY: 20 pictures of Haworth from our archives
- Two lanes of motorway closed after car overturns