SEVEN people including four children had to flee their home in the early hours of today after a suspected arson attack.
Three fire crews were called to the house fire, in Scott Street, Keighley, at 1.45am.
Keighley fire chief commander Ned Andrews said: "Four children and three adults were making their way out of a back door when we arrived.
"We had to force our way in and upstairs we rescued one man who was trapped in a room on the first floor.
"He was leaning out of a smashed window to get fresh air.
"He was conscious and was on the phone to our control staff who were giving him advice on how to stay safe.
"He and the people who'd made their own way out were all taken to Airedale Hospital, which is standard procedure.
"The fire had started in the front door area of the house, which is being treated as a suspected crime scene.
"When we left at about 3.30am or 4am our fire investigator and the police were still there.
"Most of the heat and smoke damage was restricted to the front door, but the rest of the house was heavily smoke logged.
"There were working smoke alarms in the house and we believe it was those that woke up the house's occupants, which once again shows how important these alarms are for saving lives."
No one was present at the house shortly after 8am today.
Its front door was boarded up and a first floor window was shattered.
Neighbouring resident Yasser Siddique said he was shocked when he heard emergency services arriving early in the morning.
"We tried to come outside, but the police told us to go back in because they'd cordoned everything off," he said.
"I saw the ambulance staff treating one person, and there was broken glass on the road.
"The police and fire engines were here for a long time."
He said he understood the family that live in the house involved were of Eastern European origin.
"I've lived here for about three years and haven't had any problems before," he added.
Detective Inspector Stuart Lyons, of Bradford CID, confirmed the fire is being treated as arson.
He said: "We are treating this incident very seriously.
"The incident was understandably very frightening for all those involved.
"The people within the house were very fortunate to escape without any serious injuries. This could have had a much more tragic ending.
"We have increased police patrols in the area to reassure the local community and our enquiries are very much ongoing."
Anyone who has any information about how the fire may have started is asked to contact Bradford District CID on 101 or the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555111.
MORE CRIME STORIES
- Gambling addict left his mother 'penniless' in care home after fleecing her cash
- Jury finds former carer guilty of sexual abuse at children's home
- JAILED: Drug addict posed as club doorman to rob young couple
- Final verdicts reached in street brawl trial
- CLEANED OUT: Company dealt cruel blow as thieves take £20,000 of equipment in night-time raid
- VIDEO: Burglar picked wrong victim when he broke into home of rugby league prop forward