Vanarama National League: Boreham Wood 0 Guiseley 0

WITH eight games remaining in their second season at non-league football’s top table, Guiseley are seven points clear of the drop zone after picking up what could be a very significant point.

In an uninspiring game at Meadow Park, the Lions ground out a point against mid-table Boreham Wood.

Some of the edge was taken off an otherwise positive day, however, after injuries to John Rooney and Elliott Green.

Midfielder Rooney left the pitch under his own steam ten minutes before half-time but Green had to be carried off when he suffered a nasty- looking injury late on after being treated on the field for almost five minutes.

Lions boss Adam Lockwood was far from impressed with the handling of the game by the officials, and vented his anger after the game.

He said: “It’s a difficult place to come to, and you can see why Boreham Wood have turned the corner a little bit in terms of their performances.

“But I’m sure that the management teams of both sides have an opinion about the officials.

"It’s become about them again. I know we shouldn’t speak about it but something has to change.

“On more than one occasion this year it’s been about the officials and it shouldn’t be that way. There are two teams out there giving everything and people paying good money to see a game.”

Lockwood was pleased with the point from a long trip to Hertfordshire and a tough game against a good side.

As a centre back by trade, he was also pleased that the Lions didn’t concede.

He added: “From our point of view, we have come away with a clean sheet, so it’s been a good week for us. We can prepare for Tuesday now and another difficult away game, this time at Gateshead.

“But we’ll have to access our squad before that game because John, who’s a whole-hearted player and put his body on the line, has been injured. That sometimes happens when you’re as committed as John.

“The same goes for Elliott as regards accessing his injury but I thought that one could have been avoided. For me it’s the job of the officials to prevent that – it’s their role to manage the game.

“I don’t think they had any control over this game – the two teams controlled the game.

"I think it could have been played without officials, which seems a strange thing to say but it’s a testament to both teams and sets of management.”

The home side had the better chances of the goalless encounter and almost broke the deadlock in the eighth minute as the ball was cleared off the line twice before Lions’ keeper Jonny Maxted gathered it at the third attempt.

Femi Ilesanmi also went close for Woods in the first half, while Jordan Preston and Kevan Hurst had Guiseley’s best attempts.

The hosts also had a brief spell late in the second half when they threatened but Guiseley defended stoically.