DETECTIVES are still investigating the death of a baby girl who was found at a flat in Cleckheaton last year, an inquest has heard.

Yesterday assistant Bradford coroner Oliver Longstaff adjourned the hearing into four-month-old Kayleigh Mai Sheard's death for police to spend more time probing what happened.

On September 30 the girl was discovered by officers at the home she shared in Foldings Avenue, Scholes, with her parents Lucy Damen, 19, and Daniel Sheard, 21.

They had been called there by neighbours concerned about the baby's safety and she was pronounced dead at the scene.

In February this year the baby's parents were cleared of killing their daughter after the case against them was dropped - they pleaded not guilty at Leeds Crown Court to her manslaughter.

They also denied a second charge of familial homicide by causing or allowing her death at their home, knowing she was at significant risk of serious physical harm.

Nicholas Campbell QC prosecuting formally offered no evidence on both counts and the Recorder of Leeds, Judge Peter Collier QC, directed not guilty verdicts on the pair who had been due to stand trial later this year.

But the court had heard then it may not be the end of proceedings because inquiries were still ongoing and there may other charges pending.

Sheard was released from custody and both defendants were discharged.

Assistant Coroner Longstaff said the tot's death was still the subject of an on-going police investigation, however the inquest had resumed so Kayleigh's body could be released for a funeral.

He said: "We have recently been informed by the senior investigating officer that the investigation no longer needs the retention of Kayleigh's body."

The inquest originally opened in October but was adjourned for police work, Mr Longstaff said: "It still is adjourned pending the conclusion of the investigation or any proceedings that may be heard in other courts."

After news of the baby’s death flowers, balloons, messages and teddies were left near the flat.

Last night a police spokesman confirmed the investigation was still on-going and the Crown Prosecution Service said it had not received any files to consider for charges.