Bradford chosen to be part of Europe-wide programme to tackle obesity

Bradford chosen to be part of Europe-wide programme to tackle obesity

Bradford chosen to be part of Europe-wide programme to tackle obesity

Bradford chosen to be part of Europe-wide programme to tackle obesity

First published in News
Last updated

Bradford has been chosen as the only city in the UK to be part of a major, Europe-wide programme to tackle obesity and bad diet.

The city is one of seven that has been chosen for the European Commission funded scheme, and was chosen partly because of its above average levels of obesity and large ethnic mix.

The 12 month long project is aimed at tackling the growing levels of obesity in Europe, and will be launched in September.

In Bradford, the project is being delivered by Born In Bradford, the medical research study group, and Shipley-based HALE (Health Action Local Engagement), as well as other community and voluntary groups.

Another reason for the commission choosing Bradford is the success of other recent medical projects run under the Born In Bradford umbrella.

The full details of the programme will be ironed out at a meeting of the countries involved in Barcelona next week, but is expected to involve local health campaigns and research and will involve input from scientists across Europe.

It will "use positive messages to promote healthy lifestyles" and target three main groups - children and young people, pregnant women and new mothers and people over 60 years old.

Once complete, the findings could be used by the Commission to develop healthy eating and lifestyle programmes across the continent.

The other countries taking part in the ambitious project are Granollers in Spain, Poznan in Poland, Roncq in France, Banska Bysrica in Slovakia, Culj-Napoca in Romania and Deventer in the Netherlands.

Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country. There are also higher rates of childhood obesity - 22 per cent compared to the national average of 19 - and children who don't get enough exercise each week.

Frances Holling from HALE will be attending the meeting in Barcelona, and said: "Bradford has some excellent work going on promoting health and wellbeing and hopefully this will be a great opportunity for organisations to work together and share good practice, not only across Bradford but also with other countries across Europe. Apart from its very diverse population, Bradford is an ideal place to pilot the campaign as obesity levels are above the national average and has a huge impact on public health. It is an exciting opportunity."

Comments (20)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

8:04am Tue 10 Jun 14

OLDLAD says...

Frances Holling from HALE will be attending the meeting in Barcelona, and said: "Bradford has some excellent work going on promoting health and wellbeing and hopefully this will be a great opportunity for organisations to work together and share good practice, not only across Bradford but also with other countries across Europe. Apart from its very diverse population, Bradford is an ideal place to pilot the campaign as obesity levels are above the national average and has a huge impact on public health. It is an exciting opportunity." How can you be doing excellent work yet results show they are not reducing obesity in the city. It doesn't matter what you say or do only the overweight can change their lifestyles, and as results show they do not want to.
Frances Holling from HALE will be attending the meeting in Barcelona, and said: "Bradford has some excellent work going on promoting health and wellbeing and hopefully this will be a great opportunity for organisations to work together and share good practice, not only across Bradford but also with other countries across Europe. Apart from its very diverse population, Bradford is an ideal place to pilot the campaign as obesity levels are above the national average and has a huge impact on public health. It is an exciting opportunity." How can you be doing excellent work yet results show they are not reducing obesity in the city. It doesn't matter what you say or do only the overweight can change their lifestyles, and as results show they do not want to. OLDLAD
  • Score: 8

8:51am Tue 10 Jun 14

Bikerbeardy says...

Does not surprise me at all, there are 3,452 food premises or food producers registered with Bradford council currently, how many of them are takeaways !!, go into the city at lunch time or outskirts of Bradford and you can see people eating takeaways then, for their lunch!
Does not surprise me at all, there are 3,452 food premises or food producers registered with Bradford council currently, how many of them are takeaways !!, go into the city at lunch time or outskirts of Bradford and you can see people eating takeaways then, for their lunch! Bikerbeardy
  • Score: 17

8:56am Tue 10 Jun 14

sammi10 says...

Mmm summers coming , all about weight again. how come nobody bothers about these fat kids any other time, it will take more than summer camps to change their eating habbits.
Mmm summers coming , all about weight again. how come nobody bothers about these fat kids any other time, it will take more than summer camps to change their eating habbits. sammi10
  • Score: -13

9:03am Tue 10 Jun 14

alive and awake says...

Just shows how badly Bradford is viewed, I don't believe Bradford is worse than any other City of mixed race population. If certain ethnic groups are worse than others, why aren't they saying so? in order to give a more accurate picture. Then these particular individuals can be targeted.
Just shows how badly Bradford is viewed, I don't believe Bradford is worse than any other City of mixed race population. If certain ethnic groups are worse than others, why aren't they saying so? in order to give a more accurate picture. Then these particular individuals can be targeted. alive and awake
  • Score: 11

9:18am Tue 10 Jun 14

sorrow&anger says...

Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?
Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it? sorrow&anger
  • Score: 37

10:02am Tue 10 Jun 14

Jimmy2014 says...

Rajas chicken and chips and salah buy one get one free fried chicken and chips , says it all :)
Rajas chicken and chips and salah buy one get one free fried chicken and chips , says it all :) Jimmy2014
  • Score: 10

10:19am Tue 10 Jun 14

bluebluerobin says...

Councillor Hinchcliffe must be thanking her lucky stars that she never got round to promoting Bradford’s “Curry Capital” tourist status. She’d be looking even sillier now.
Councillor Hinchcliffe must be thanking her lucky stars that she never got round to promoting Bradford’s “Curry Capital” tourist status. She’d be looking even sillier now. bluebluerobin
  • Score: 34

12:19pm Tue 10 Jun 14

999 number of the beast says...

The locals are fat because the police are! Its time the responder do one daily foot patrol a week. The only time they get out of their cars is to get a kebab!
The locals are fat because the police are! Its time the responder do one daily foot patrol a week. The only time they get out of their cars is to get a kebab! 999 number of the beast
  • Score: -2

1:52pm Tue 10 Jun 14

basil fawlty says...

sorrow&anger wrote:
Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?
"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country."
2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.
[quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?[/p][/quote]"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country." 2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford. basil fawlty
  • Score: -21

2:00pm Tue 10 Jun 14

gouldengirl says...

basil fawlty wrote:
sorrow&anger wrote:
Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?
"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country."
2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.
We may be bottom (as it were) by a small margin, but we're still bottom. Do you work for the Council?
[quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?[/p][/quote]"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country." 2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.[/p][/quote]We may be bottom (as it were) by a small margin, but we're still bottom. Do you work for the Council? gouldengirl
  • Score: 27

2:24pm Tue 10 Jun 14

flower1950 says...

So how about we teach our kids that running about in the fresh air and playing sport instead of sat at home or on a park bench playing computer games will help to keep the weight off. It is not all down to food, But do agree there are far too many takeaways and food outlets in Bradford.
So how about we teach our kids that running about in the fresh air and playing sport instead of sat at home or on a park bench playing computer games will help to keep the weight off. It is not all down to food, But do agree there are far too many takeaways and food outlets in Bradford. flower1950
  • Score: 17

2:28pm Tue 10 Jun 14

FinlandStation says...

flower1950 wrote:
So how about we teach our kids that running about in the fresh air and playing sport instead of sat at home or on a park bench playing computer games will help to keep the weight off. It is not all down to food, But do agree there are far too many takeaways and food outlets in Bradford.
It’s not all down to curry and chips takeaways. Big business has been overloading our food with sugar and salt for ages because it cuts production costs and boosts their profits. These days it’s virtually impossible to have a healthy diet unless you make everything from scratch, and, lets face it, with the hours we’re expected to work just to make ends meet, not many of us are in a position to do that.

The result is a diabetes epidemic which will cost the NHS and we taxpayers a fortune. Once again big business makes its profits, dodges its taxes, and expects the state to pick up the bill.
[quote][p][bold]flower1950[/bold] wrote: So how about we teach our kids that running about in the fresh air and playing sport instead of sat at home or on a park bench playing computer games will help to keep the weight off. It is not all down to food, But do agree there are far too many takeaways and food outlets in Bradford.[/p][/quote]It’s not all down to curry and chips takeaways. Big business has been overloading our food with sugar and salt for ages because it cuts production costs and boosts their profits. These days it’s virtually impossible to have a healthy diet unless you make everything from scratch, and, lets face it, with the hours we’re expected to work just to make ends meet, not many of us are in a position to do that. The result is a diabetes epidemic which will cost the NHS and we taxpayers a fortune. Once again big business makes its profits, dodges its taxes, and expects the state to pick up the bill. FinlandStation
  • Score: 24

3:34pm Tue 10 Jun 14

mad matt says...

You only need to watch the kids coming out of a primary school, it's amazing how many are obviously overweight, and most of them will have parents waiting outside with a car to taxi them home. How about really getting to grips with the obesity problem and getting the parents involved - walk the kids to school if at all possible, or organise the 'walking school bus system' that was all over the news last year. That way one or two parents can walk a dozen kids to school.
Too many take-away meals, too many fizzy drinks and too many sugary sweets - this is what you get. Fat kids make fat adults!
You only need to watch the kids coming out of a primary school, it's amazing how many are obviously overweight, and most of them will have parents waiting outside with a car to taxi them home. How about really getting to grips with the obesity problem and getting the parents involved - walk the kids to school if at all possible, or organise the 'walking school bus system' that was all over the news last year. That way one or two parents can walk a dozen kids to school. Too many take-away meals, too many fizzy drinks and too many sugary sweets - this is what you get. Fat kids make fat adults! mad matt
  • Score: 16

5:13pm Tue 10 Jun 14

BabyDave says...

Not surprised given the amount of dirty smelly filthy take-away places that blight the city - 5 stars mean nothing too, look deeper . . . . .
Not surprised given the amount of dirty smelly filthy take-away places that blight the city - 5 stars mean nothing too, look deeper . . . . . BabyDave
  • Score: 17

5:52pm Tue 10 Jun 14

alive and awake says...

basil fawlty wrote:
sorrow&anger wrote:
Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?
"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country."
2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.
Do your sums again 26- 24 more like +10%
[quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?[/p][/quote]"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country." 2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.[/p][/quote]Do your sums again 26- 24 more like +10% alive and awake
  • Score: -1

6:28pm Tue 10 Jun 14

monobrow man says...

alive and awake wrote:
basil fawlty wrote:
sorrow&anger wrote:
Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?
"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country."
2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.
Do your sums again 26- 24 more like +10%
It's already out of a 100%, So it's still 2%. I would hold back on applying for countdown.
[quote][p][bold]alive and awake[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]basil fawlty[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sorrow&anger[/bold] wrote: Here we go again. Another league table and we're at the bottom and the only response is a complacent statement that "Bradford has some excellent work going on". How many more stories like this before City Hall wakes up to the fact that whatever is wrong with Bradford they aren't fixing it?[/p][/quote]"Bradford has a higher rate of adult obesity than the rest of England - 26 per cent of adults compared to 24 per cent in the rest of the country." 2% worse than the average is hardly earth shattering. This is a good news story where something is happening here that should benefit the people of Bradford.[/p][/quote]Do your sums again 26- 24 more like +10%[/p][/quote]It's already out of a 100%, So it's still 2%. I would hold back on applying for countdown. monobrow man
  • Score: -10

7:44pm Tue 10 Jun 14

gouldengirl says...

flower1950 wrote:
So how about we teach our kids that running about in the fresh air and playing sport instead of sat at home or on a park bench playing computer games will help to keep the weight off. It is not all down to food, But do agree there are far too many takeaways and food outlets in Bradford.
When I was young parents encouraged their children to play outside; this is now seen as irresponsible parenting because the NSPCC's fund-raising activities have persuaded them that there's a paedophile behind every bush.
[quote][p][bold]flower1950[/bold] wrote: So how about we teach our kids that running about in the fresh air and playing sport instead of sat at home or on a park bench playing computer games will help to keep the weight off. It is not all down to food, But do agree there are far too many takeaways and food outlets in Bradford.[/p][/quote]When I was young parents encouraged their children to play outside; this is now seen as irresponsible parenting because the NSPCC's fund-raising activities have persuaded them that there's a paedophile behind every bush. gouldengirl
  • Score: 13

8:22am Wed 11 Jun 14

Bikerbeardy says...

BabyDave wrote:
Not surprised given the amount of dirty smelly filthy take-away places that blight the city - 5 stars mean nothing too, look deeper . . . . .
Got that right !, wouldnt eat that cr%p if I was paid to, my kids dont either .
[quote][p][bold]BabyDave[/bold] wrote: Not surprised given the amount of dirty smelly filthy take-away places that blight the city - 5 stars mean nothing too, look deeper . . . . .[/p][/quote]Got that right !, wouldnt eat that cr%p if I was paid to, my kids dont either . Bikerbeardy
  • Score: 2

8:31am Wed 11 Jun 14

voiceforyouth says...

Sadly yet another story that shows that change is needed in Bradford.
There is plenty going on in Bradford for people to keep health but choices are made no matter what.

Every Saturday for free there is a running event staffed by volunteers in lister park attended by over 400 people most weeks, all ages, all ethnicities and all abilities. Will this appear in the report?
Swimming for kids is 50p at every council swimming baths for last few years. Not to expensive?

Planning have allowed to many fast food outlets in the city. But if the demand wasn't there the supply wouldn't need to be.

Reduce number of take aways.
Keep the changes in school of healthy meals and balanced diet.

Recognise no matter what race, ethnicity or age choices are made and sadly some People choose to live a life style that can be an early grave.

Councillors enjoy your funded time in and Around Europe. Don't forget your suncream ;)
Sadly yet another story that shows that change is needed in Bradford. There is plenty going on in Bradford for people to keep health but choices are made no matter what. Every Saturday for free there is a running event staffed by volunteers in lister park attended by over 400 people most weeks, all ages, all ethnicities and all abilities. Will this appear in the report? Swimming for kids is 50p at every council swimming baths for last few years. Not to expensive? Planning have allowed to many fast food outlets in the city. But if the demand wasn't there the supply wouldn't need to be. Reduce number of take aways. Keep the changes in school of healthy meals and balanced diet. Recognise no matter what race, ethnicity or age choices are made and sadly some People choose to live a life style that can be an early grave. Councillors enjoy your funded time in and Around Europe. Don't forget your suncream ;) voiceforyouth
  • Score: 3

8:22am Fri 13 Jun 14

-HCK3R- says...

At least been bottom of another table gets us in the news again !!!!
At least been bottom of another table gets us in the news again !!!! -HCK3R-
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree