An inquest was opened today into the death of tragic mum Sobia Yousef.

Bradford Assistant Coroner Oliver Longstaff told the short hearing that her death in the Asda supermarket in Shipley had been “dramatic and horrific”.

He said Mrs Yousef had been identified by family members using CCTV stills obtained by the police.

Mr Longstaff said he was satisfied as to 36-year-old Mrs Yousef’s identity and released her body for a funeral “in accordance with cultural traditions”.

“When the event took place, it was not known who she was,” he said.

“However, following media reports, police were contacted by a member of the family. Officers went to her address and met members of the family.

“They had CCTV stills from Asda and on the basis of those images, members of the family could confirm her identity.”

Mr Longstaff said Mrs Yousef lived in Beamsley Road, Frizinghall, and was the wife of Tariq Mahmood.

He adjourned the inquest pending further inquiries and said the cause of her death had not yet been formally established.

Bradford District Care Trust, which runs Lynfield Mount psychiatric hospital where Mrs Yousef was treated, has started a “thorough investigation” into her death.

Nicola Lees, deputy chief executive of the trust, said she had been “shocked and saddened” by what had happened.

“My thoughts are with the family, those involved in the incident, and the wider community at this difficult time,” she said.

“This is a serious incident. The trust has begun a thorough internal investigation into the circumstances involved. We are working with the coroner’s office and other agencies.”

As reported in yesterday’s Telegraph & Argus, Bradford Councillor Imdad Hussain said the death of Mrs Yousef’s nine-year-old daughter five months before had left her with mental health problems and that she had undergone treatment at Lynfield Mount.

Coun Hussain (The Peace Party, Heaton) has called for an investigation into the care she received before she stabbed herself in the throat in front of staff and shoppers at Asda on Tuesday morning.

Mrs Yousef’s daughter had been born with a terminal illness and the pair had developed a very close bond, he said. “After the medical condition claimed her daughter, Mrs Yousef’s world fell apart,” said Coun Hussain, who has been supporting the family in the wake of the tragedy.

“It is known she had other domestic issues but it was the death of her daughter which led her to being treated at Lynfield Mount.

“The care she received from mental health professionals needs to be examined.”

Mourners crowded into the Jami’at Tabligh Mosque in Aireville Road, Frizinghall, where the funeral service for Mrs Yousef, who also had two teenage children, was held this afternoon.