Buttershaw school sorry after boy has letter taped to chest by teacher

David Hawkes

David Hawkes

First published in News
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , T&A Reporter

A head teacher at a Bradford primary school has apologised after an autistic pupil was sent home with a letter taped to his chest.

David Hawkes’s mum Shelley said her 11-year-old son was “publicly humiliated” when a teacher at Home Farm Primary School, off Cooper Lane, Buttershaw, used sticky tape to fix the letter to his jumper.

Mrs Hawkes said her son had forgotten to take home a permission slip for a school trip, then joked to his teacher: “Why don’t you stick it on me and I’ll remember it.”

He was then hauled in front of the class and made to hold the note in place while his female teacher and other pupils wound tape around him.

Mrs Hawkes said: “They were all laughing at him.

“They humiliated him in front of his classmates. He’s a vulnerable child.

“They used half a roll of tape by the time they finished.

“My heart broke when I saw him. I couldn’t believe anyone would do that to an autistic child.”

Mrs Hawkes said she sent head teacher John MacDonald a photograph of David with the note taped to him and demanded an explanation.

She said he responded by saying: “I feel sick looking at it. I can’t offer you any explanation.”

In a statement about the incident, Mr MacDonald said: “We apologised and worked closely with the family to assure them it would never happen again.”

Bradford Council is understood to have held an inquiry but Mrs Hawkes said it refused to share the findings with her.

Last month, the Telegraph & Argus revealed the anger of a mum and dad whose three-year-old son was allowed to wander out of the nursery at Home Farm school.

Blake Ormondroyd was found in a snicket next to Westwood Park housing estate between ten and 15 minutes after walking out of the school.

His parents Gregg Ormondroyd and Donna Rhodes took him out of the nursery and vowed he would not go back there.

Mr MacDonald said new processes had been put in place at the school after the incident to prevent it happening again.

“The safety of all children at Home Farm Primary School is of paramount importance to us,” he said.

Comments (39)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:33am Mon 10 Mar 14

Realtruth says...

Absolutely outrageous.

This teacher needs to be suspended immediately.

Shame on the school.
Absolutely outrageous. This teacher needs to be suspended immediately. Shame on the school. Realtruth
  • Score: 5

9:42am Mon 10 Mar 14

MarkPullen says...

Surely this contravenes so many guidelines in schools?

Why withhold the outcome of the enquiry/investigatio
n?

If a member of staff is prepared to undertake the act publicly then the repercussions should also be transparent.
Surely this contravenes so many guidelines in schools? Why withhold the outcome of the enquiry/investigatio n? If a member of staff is prepared to undertake the act publicly then the repercussions should also be transparent. MarkPullen
  • Score: 4

9:43am Mon 10 Mar 14

cloudbaby says...

If this ever happened to my autistic son I would go into school all guns blazing, how dare they. The teacher should be heavily reprimanded immediately. Shame on that school.
If this ever happened to my autistic son I would go into school all guns blazing, how dare they. The teacher should be heavily reprimanded immediately. Shame on that school. cloudbaby
  • Score: -10

10:01am Mon 10 Mar 14

bradfordian says...

Why on earth would a teacher in their right mind do this to a vunerable child?
Why on earth would a teacher in their right mind do this to a vunerable child? bradfordian
  • Score: 28

10:29am Mon 10 Mar 14

BigFigure says...

As a retired teacher myself, I found this totally shocking. Speechless.
As a retired teacher myself, I found this totally shocking. Speechless. BigFigure
  • Score: 22

10:48am Mon 10 Mar 14

Outraged English Subject says...

This shows the level of teacher excellence in our schools today, or the lack thereof, very sad indeed.
This shows the level of teacher excellence in our schools today, or the lack thereof, very sad indeed. Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 15

10:52am Mon 10 Mar 14

Albion. says...

I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?
I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder? Albion.
  • Score: 50

11:07am Mon 10 Mar 14

wobbley-bob says...

Albion. wrote:
I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?
Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him.
Blown out of all proportion.
I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?[/p][/quote]Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him. Blown out of all proportion. I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-) wobbley-bob
  • Score: 44

11:35am Mon 10 Mar 14

Smell the coffee says...

wobbley-bob wrote:
Albion. wrote:
I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?
Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him.
Blown out of all proportion.
I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)
I completely agree. This is joke taken the wrong way by people with no sense of humor. Lighten up an make a full apology to the teacher who though she was probably bonding with her pupils.
[quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?[/p][/quote]Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him. Blown out of all proportion. I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)[/p][/quote]I completely agree. This is joke taken the wrong way by people with no sense of humor. Lighten up an make a full apology to the teacher who though she was probably bonding with her pupils. Smell the coffee
  • Score: 31

11:53am Mon 10 Mar 14

bradvilla says...

Lighthearted or not this shows the total lack of understanding many teachers have for those pupils with special needs especially autism. My son has autism and communications between school and home have always been done via a classroom assistant when the child is younger and via the journal/planner when in secondary school. This works well and schools should take note!
Lighthearted or not this shows the total lack of understanding many teachers have for those pupils with special needs especially autism. My son has autism and communications between school and home have always been done via a classroom assistant when the child is younger and via the journal/planner when in secondary school. This works well and schools should take note! bradvilla
  • Score: 6

1:11pm Mon 10 Mar 14

The Hoffster says...

Autism: a made-up condition.

A bit like Tourettes...
Autism: a made-up condition. A bit like Tourettes... The Hoffster
  • Score: -78

1:21pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Stevie-C says...

As wrong as this is, the mother of the child states her heart broke when she saw him with the letter taped to his chest, and that he was publicly humiliated

Then goes to the press and gives permission for the photo to be published for all and sundry to see it(!)

Yep the cynic in me says she was extremely upset.....
As wrong as this is, the mother of the child states her heart broke when she saw him with the letter taped to his chest, and that he was publicly humiliated Then goes to the press and gives permission for the photo to be published for all and sundry to see it(!) Yep the cynic in me says she was extremely upset..... Stevie-C
  • Score: 81

2:03pm Mon 10 Mar 14

The Hoffster says...

Just realised: the school's in a BNP/EDL hell-hole...
Just realised: the school's in a BNP/EDL hell-hole... The Hoffster
  • Score: -20

2:30pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Johsay says...

Wonder why the council refused to make their findings public?
Wonder why the council refused to make their findings public? Johsay
  • Score: 1

3:49pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Biker71 says...

From experience most Bradford schools are like this with SEN kids, Bradford has the worst way of handling special needs I have ever seen.
From experience most Bradford schools are like this with SEN kids, Bradford has the worst way of handling special needs I have ever seen. Biker71
  • Score: 7

4:33pm Mon 10 Mar 14

sazzlerazzle says...

Biker71 wrote:
From experience most Bradford schools are like this with SEN kids, Bradford has the worst way of handling special needs I have ever seen.
You can't judge every Bradford school the same. Have you been in every Bradford school and seen how SEN pupils are treated? The above is just an example of someone who's made a ridiculous mistake. She shouldn't have taped the letter to his chest but there are thousands of hard working Bradford teachers who don't behave in that way. This particular teacher should not have done this but neither should the mother have put him in the papers and drawn further attention to her son. Rediculous.
[quote][p][bold]Biker71[/bold] wrote: From experience most Bradford schools are like this with SEN kids, Bradford has the worst way of handling special needs I have ever seen.[/p][/quote]You can't judge every Bradford school the same. Have you been in every Bradford school and seen how SEN pupils are treated? The above is just an example of someone who's made a ridiculous mistake. She shouldn't have taped the letter to his chest but there are thousands of hard working Bradford teachers who don't behave in that way. This particular teacher should not have done this but neither should the mother have put him in the papers and drawn further attention to her son. Rediculous. sazzlerazzle
  • Score: 13

4:58pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Smell the coffee says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Just realised: the school's in a BNP/EDL hell-hole...
Obviously, just look at his photo, he's dressed smart. If he'd have come from your area (Manningham), he would have been dressed in traditional Muslim cloths, or as I like to refer them, Righteous Authentic Garments of Splendor. RAGS for short
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Just realised: the school's in a BNP/EDL hell-hole...[/p][/quote]Obviously, just look at his photo, he's dressed smart. If he'd have come from your area (Manningham), he would have been dressed in traditional Muslim cloths, or as I like to refer them, Righteous Authentic Garments of Splendor. RAGS for short Smell the coffee
  • Score: 12

6:05pm Mon 10 Mar 14

alive and awake says...

Total humiliation! ha! should have gone to my school, he would have known what public humiliation was. I feel sorry for the lad now he has been paraded in the T&A someone should tell the parents to stop being such wimps and let the lad grow up.
No autism in my day, you got it knocked out of you. Probably why so many left arm bowlers write with their right hand. We will finish up a nation of softies.
Total humiliation! ha! should have gone to my school, he would have known what public humiliation was. I feel sorry for the lad now he has been paraded in the T&A someone should tell the parents to stop being such wimps and let the lad grow up. No autism in my day, you got it knocked out of you. Probably why so many left arm bowlers write with their right hand. We will finish up a nation of softies. alive and awake
  • Score: -7

6:09pm Mon 10 Mar 14

keep the faith ✊ says...

What a waste of cellotape.. Surely a tie wrap around the wrist would've been more cost effective??? 😃
What a waste of cellotape.. Surely a tie wrap around the wrist would've been more cost effective??? 😃 keep the faith ✊
  • Score: -2

6:11pm Mon 10 Mar 14

alive and awake says...

cloudbaby wrote:
If this ever happened to my autistic son I would go into school all guns blazing, how dare they. The teacher should be heavily reprimanded immediately. Shame on that school.
I bet you can't wait, you'll show em! fgs.
[quote][p][bold]cloudbaby[/bold] wrote: If this ever happened to my autistic son I would go into school all guns blazing, how dare they. The teacher should be heavily reprimanded immediately. Shame on that school.[/p][/quote]I bet you can't wait, you'll show em! fgs. alive and awake
  • Score: 6

6:22pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Nick20 says...

alive and awake wrote:
Total humiliation! ha! should have gone to my school, he would have known what public humiliation was. I feel sorry for the lad now he has been paraded in the T&A someone should tell the parents to stop being such wimps and let the lad grow up.
No autism in my day, you got it knocked out of you. Probably why so many left arm bowlers write with their right hand. We will finish up a nation of softies.
When was your day lol There was proberly no Autism because they were treated so badly back then and locked away as my Gran said that is what happened to them back then totally shocking Carn't stand disability haters you would understand if you were in their shoes
[quote][p][bold]alive and awake[/bold] wrote: Total humiliation! ha! should have gone to my school, he would have known what public humiliation was. I feel sorry for the lad now he has been paraded in the T&A someone should tell the parents to stop being such wimps and let the lad grow up. No autism in my day, you got it knocked out of you. Probably why so many left arm bowlers write with their right hand. We will finish up a nation of softies.[/p][/quote]When was your day lol There was proberly no Autism because they were treated so badly back then and locked away as my Gran said that is what happened to them back then totally shocking Carn't stand disability haters you would understand if you were in their shoes Nick20
  • Score: 6

6:55pm Mon 10 Mar 14

coffee break says...

Why rehash old news? What was the mother thinking when she went to the Sun ? "My son has gotten over this and moved on to high school and put it behind him, lets tell all his schools mates and remind him about it a year later???"

It was investigated! I would assume she was disiplined.

She sounds like a spoilt child, they never told me the outcome of a confidential disiplinary so i am going to behave like a spoilt child.

From what i have read i would say a bad judgement call a clear case of getting carried away with the moment.
Why rehash old news? What was the mother thinking when she went to the Sun ? "My son has gotten over this and moved on to high school and put it behind him, lets tell all his schools mates and remind him about it a year later???" It was investigated! I would assume she was disiplined. She sounds like a spoilt child, they never told me the outcome of a confidential disiplinary so i am going to behave like a spoilt child. From what i have read i would say a bad judgement call a clear case of getting carried away with the moment. coffee break
  • Score: 3

7:27pm Mon 10 Mar 14

alive and awake says...

Nick20 wrote:
alive and awake wrote:
Total humiliation! ha! should have gone to my school, he would have known what public humiliation was. I feel sorry for the lad now he has been paraded in the T&A someone should tell the parents to stop being such wimps and let the lad grow up.
No autism in my day, you got it knocked out of you. Probably why so many left arm bowlers write with their right hand. We will finish up a nation of softies.
When was your day lol There was proberly no Autism because they were treated so badly back then and locked away as my Gran said that is what happened to them back then totally shocking Carn't stand disability haters you would understand if you were in their shoes
Oh! you think I am not in there shoes, I don't know how old your Gran is but in my day they didn't lock them away, but they did discipline them, and they were better for it. In My opinion, experienced but not "qualified" if that means anything, is poor parenting is responsible for most problems with kids, how many autistic kids come out of public schools?
[quote][p][bold]Nick20[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]alive and awake[/bold] wrote: Total humiliation! ha! should have gone to my school, he would have known what public humiliation was. I feel sorry for the lad now he has been paraded in the T&A someone should tell the parents to stop being such wimps and let the lad grow up. No autism in my day, you got it knocked out of you. Probably why so many left arm bowlers write with their right hand. We will finish up a nation of softies.[/p][/quote]When was your day lol There was proberly no Autism because they were treated so badly back then and locked away as my Gran said that is what happened to them back then totally shocking Carn't stand disability haters you would understand if you were in their shoes[/p][/quote]Oh! you think I am not in there shoes, I don't know how old your Gran is but in my day they didn't lock them away, but they did discipline them, and they were better for it. In My opinion, experienced but not "qualified" if that means anything, is poor parenting is responsible for most problems with kids, how many autistic kids come out of public schools? alive and awake
  • Score: -2

7:36pm Mon 10 Mar 14

JonathanSmith says...

Come on, the child suggests it and was most definitely laughing his head off along with his classmates at this situation, It's a lighthearted joke which would have been considered that, and that only when I was at school...nothing more and is being blown way out of proprotion, autism or no autism His parents probably don't even work and are milking this mutual "joke" to try and get some sort of monetary gain, just like most of the compensation seeking Bradfordians.
Come on, the child suggests it and was most definitely laughing his head off along with his classmates at this situation, It's a lighthearted joke which would have been considered that, and that only when I was at school...nothing more and is being blown way out of proprotion, autism or no autism His parents probably don't even work and are milking this mutual "joke" to try and get some sort of monetary gain, just like most of the compensation seeking Bradfordians. JonathanSmith
  • Score: 9

7:44pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Apollo says...

Good to see The Hoffster making a complete fool of himself by virtue of his comments on this story.

Massive fail on his part other than to show himself up.
Good to see The Hoffster making a complete fool of himself by virtue of his comments on this story. Massive fail on his part other than to show himself up. Apollo
  • Score: 15

8:27pm Mon 10 Mar 14

Meerkat33 says...

I cannot belive the comments on here about how autism is made up, how about you spend some time with an autistic child. And to those who say discipline is the issue, my son who is autistic is disciplined and he comes from a loving working family home. To those who say they should be taught away from the class, shame on you, would you treat a downs child or a spina bifida or cerebral palsey the same? My son is on the gifted and tallented register at school. he's not thick, he's not misunterstood, his brain is just wired differently so does not see the word as he should.

Shame on the school and even more shame on the teacher and education Bradford, the trouble with autistic children they don't always understand what they actually say. A letter sent by post would have been more practial. I applaud his mother for taking this to the papers as it highlights disability discrimination.















autistic child. My son is autistic and has also been failed by his school.
I cannot belive the comments on here about how autism is made up, how about you spend some time with an autistic child. And to those who say discipline is the issue, my son who is autistic is disciplined and he comes from a loving working family home. To those who say they should be taught away from the class, shame on you, would you treat a downs child or a spina bifida or cerebral palsey the same? My son is on the gifted and tallented register at school. he's not thick, he's not misunterstood, his brain is just wired differently so does not see the word as he should. Shame on the school and even more shame on the teacher and education Bradford, the trouble with autistic children they don't always understand what they actually say. A letter sent by post would have been more practial. I applaud his mother for taking this to the papers as it highlights disability discrimination. autistic child. My son is autistic and has also been failed by his school. Meerkat33
  • Score: 7

8:42pm Mon 10 Mar 14

ZoeSilver says...

http://dashboard.ofs
ted.gov.uk/dash.php?
urn=131357
This is a link to the Ofsted report for Home Farm Primary School 2013.
Anyone thinking about sending their kids there should read this...
http://dashboard.ofs ted.gov.uk/dash.php? urn=131357 This is a link to the Ofsted report for Home Farm Primary School 2013. Anyone thinking about sending their kids there should read this... ZoeSilver
  • Score: 4

9:08pm Mon 10 Mar 14

The Hoffster says...

Apollo wrote:
Good to see The Hoffster making a complete fool of himself by virtue of his comments on this story.

Massive fail on his part other than to show himself up.
Thanks man.
[quote][p][bold]Apollo[/bold] wrote: Good to see The Hoffster making a complete fool of himself by virtue of his comments on this story. Massive fail on his part other than to show himself up.[/p][/quote]Thanks man. The Hoffster
  • Score: 0

10:58pm Mon 10 Mar 14

frankenstein001 says...

Look all u lot are off ur heads ur jumping 2 things with only 1 side of the story! No1 even bother 2 ask the teacher wat happened or y she did it. I dont think any teacher would do such a thing if the kid didnt participate. Maybe it was a joke thing between the teacher and the kid. I mean even I had a teacher who use 2 do things like this with me and I was her fav pupil.
Look all u lot are off ur heads ur jumping 2 things with only 1 side of the story! No1 even bother 2 ask the teacher wat happened or y she did it. I dont think any teacher would do such a thing if the kid didnt participate. Maybe it was a joke thing between the teacher and the kid. I mean even I had a teacher who use 2 do things like this with me and I was her fav pupil. frankenstein001
  • Score: 2

11:04pm Mon 10 Mar 14

karen harrison says...

ZoeSilver wrote:
http://dashboard.ofs

ted.gov.uk/dash.php?

urn=131357
This is a link to the Ofsted report for Home Farm Primary School 2013.
Anyone thinking about sending their kids there should read this...
There's plenty of schools in Bradford that don't have 'fantastic' ofsted reports. Doesn't mean the kids don't do well. My son is doing fantastic at this school and getting good grades, as did my other 2 sons who are now at upper school and doing well.
[quote][p][bold]ZoeSilver[/bold] wrote: http://dashboard.ofs ted.gov.uk/dash.php? urn=131357 This is a link to the Ofsted report for Home Farm Primary School 2013. Anyone thinking about sending their kids there should read this...[/p][/quote]There's plenty of schools in Bradford that don't have 'fantastic' ofsted reports. Doesn't mean the kids don't do well. My son is doing fantastic at this school and getting good grades, as did my other 2 sons who are now at upper school and doing well. karen harrison
  • Score: 6

3:44am Tue 11 Mar 14

G_Firth says...

Clearly the head of this School has lost control as this is now the second major incident that has occurred there.
In my opinion both the teacher in question and the head should be removed from their post without delay.
Clearly the head of this School has lost control as this is now the second major incident that has occurred there. In my opinion both the teacher in question and the head should be removed from their post without delay. G_Firth
  • Score: -11

11:29am Tue 11 Mar 14

Idontunderstand says...

I'm not going to comment on the rights or wrongs of what has happened, however fair play to the Head, he said he was sickened by it and didn't attempt to make an excuse; and investigation seems to have been held - what I would comment on is that in the report it does not indicate how old the story is - it has clearly happened and happened long enough ago for an investigation to occur. When will the T&A start to carry out proper investigative reporting ie there side, the other side, when did it happen, what the outcome of the investigation was, what the Council's education spokesperson has to say about what can be learnt from it, finally, is the child still being taught at the school (ie do the parents have sufficient confidence in the school to keep their child there).
I'm not going to comment on the rights or wrongs of what has happened, however fair play to the Head, he said he was sickened by it and didn't attempt to make an excuse; and investigation seems to have been held - what I would comment on is that in the report it does not indicate how old the story is - it has clearly happened and happened long enough ago for an investigation to occur. When will the T&A start to carry out proper investigative reporting ie there side, the other side, when did it happen, what the outcome of the investigation was, what the Council's education spokesperson has to say about what can be learnt from it, finally, is the child still being taught at the school (ie do the parents have sufficient confidence in the school to keep their child there). Idontunderstand
  • Score: 2

12:27pm Wed 12 Mar 14

Papa Smurfs Wig says...

Smell the coffee wrote:
wobbley-bob wrote:
Albion. wrote:
I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?
Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him.
Blown out of all proportion.
I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)
I completely agree. This is joke taken the wrong way by people with no sense of humor. Lighten up an make a full apology to the teacher who though she was probably bonding with her pupils.
Maybe you should have spent more time at school tegarding your spelling as we're not in America.

I think after the investigation that if the teacher can't satisfactory explanation then she she be red carded. Parents send their kids to school for education and hope it is a safe place and to even allow this, never mind being part of the game. This kid is autistic for christ sake.

I grew up in the dark days of the 70's and it was rough at times and it made the kids grow up and have respect but to me this is out of order.

It should be a yellow card for wasting the tape, imagine if they all waste consumables then there would be questions asked.
[quote][p][bold]Smell the coffee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?[/p][/quote]Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him. Blown out of all proportion. I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)[/p][/quote]I completely agree. This is joke taken the wrong way by people with no sense of humor. Lighten up an make a full apology to the teacher who though she was probably bonding with her pupils.[/p][/quote]Maybe you should have spent more time at school tegarding your spelling as we're not in America. I think after the investigation that if the teacher can't satisfactory explanation then she she be red carded. Parents send their kids to school for education and hope it is a safe place and to even allow this, never mind being part of the game. This kid is autistic for christ sake. I grew up in the dark days of the 70's and it was rough at times and it made the kids grow up and have respect but to me this is out of order. It should be a yellow card for wasting the tape, imagine if they all waste consumables then there would be questions asked. Papa Smurfs Wig
  • Score: -3

1:58pm Wed 12 Mar 14

sturubery says...

Papa Smurfs Wig wrote:
Smell the coffee wrote:
wobbley-bob wrote:
Albion. wrote:
I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?
Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him.
Blown out of all proportion.
I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)
I completely agree. This is joke taken the wrong way by people with no sense of humor. Lighten up an make a full apology to the teacher who though she was probably bonding with her pupils.
Maybe you should have spent more time at school tegarding your spelling as we're not in America.

I think after the investigation that if the teacher can't satisfactory explanation then she she be red carded. Parents send their kids to school for education and hope it is a safe place and to even allow this, never mind being part of the game. This kid is autistic for christ sake.

I grew up in the dark days of the 70's and it was rough at times and it made the kids grow up and have respect but to me this is out of order.

It should be a yellow card for wasting the tape, imagine if they all waste consumables then there would be questions asked.
You want to check your own spelling and grammar before you throw stones!
[quote][p][bold]Papa Smurfs Wig[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Smell the coffee[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]wobbley-bob[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I suspect that this was more of a light-hearted event than the report suggests and it was the pupil who suggested it himself. Apologies if that is wrong! I wonder what the reaction would have been in my day, when he would probably have been thrashed as a reminder?[/p][/quote]Exactly! His class mates were probably laughing with him, rather than at him. Blown out of all proportion. I see the 'offended on other peoples behalf ' are out in force too. :-)[/p][/quote]I completely agree. This is joke taken the wrong way by people with no sense of humor. Lighten up an make a full apology to the teacher who though she was probably bonding with her pupils.[/p][/quote]Maybe you should have spent more time at school tegarding your spelling as we're not in America. I think after the investigation that if the teacher can't satisfactory explanation then she she be red carded. Parents send their kids to school for education and hope it is a safe place and to even allow this, never mind being part of the game. This kid is autistic for christ sake. I grew up in the dark days of the 70's and it was rough at times and it made the kids grow up and have respect but to me this is out of order. It should be a yellow card for wasting the tape, imagine if they all waste consumables then there would be questions asked.[/p][/quote]You want to check your own spelling and grammar before you throw stones! sturubery
  • Score: 5

8:33pm Wed 12 Mar 14

elieli1 says...

For anyone to do that to a child is inexcusable.
Even it is true it was done at his behest, he was 11 and unable to make a rational decision. Teachers are there to make those rational and sensible decisions for the child. That's what they are paid and trusted to do.
The teacher surely must have seen the potential ramifications of doing this to a child - and what impression it may give the onlooker.
He/She either saw the risk and did it anyway, or didn't see the risk and is not sane enough to look after children - particularly a vulnerable one.

The teacher needs retraining then close monitoring, or sacking. There is no grey area when it comes to responsible childcare.
For anyone to do that to a child is inexcusable. Even it is true it was done at his behest, he was 11 and unable to make a rational decision. Teachers are there to make those rational and sensible decisions for the child. That's what they are paid and trusted to do. The teacher surely must have seen the potential ramifications of doing this to a child - and what impression it may give the onlooker. He/She either saw the risk and did it anyway, or didn't see the risk and is not sane enough to look after children - particularly a vulnerable one. The teacher needs retraining then close monitoring, or sacking. There is no grey area when it comes to responsible childcare. elieli1
  • Score: -3

11:53am Sat 15 Mar 14

Deborah Daniels says...

I cannot believe schools and parents are still communicating with each other via crumpled bits of paper crushed in the bottom of school bags which may or may not reach the intended adult. Have they heard of email? Should not this parent in particular have saved her son the difficulty of inviting his teeacher to act like an idiot by instead suggesting email communication in the first place.?
I cannot believe schools and parents are still communicating with each other via crumpled bits of paper crushed in the bottom of school bags which may or may not reach the intended adult. Have they heard of email? Should not this parent in particular have saved her son the difficulty of inviting his teeacher to act like an idiot by instead suggesting email communication in the first place.? Deborah Daniels
  • Score: -1

1:18am Sat 22 Mar 14

clayton girl says...

coffee break wrote:
Why rehash old news? What was the mother thinking when she went to the Sun ? "My son has gotten over this and moved on to high school and put it behind him, lets tell all his schools mates and remind him about it a year later???"

It was investigated! I would assume she was disiplined.

She sounds like a spoilt child, they never told me the outcome of a confidential disiplinary so i am going to behave like a spoilt child.

From what i have read i would say a bad judgement call a clear case of getting carried away with the moment.
I saw this story in the Sun, he's now at upper school, why didn't his mum feel the need to report this at the time?
[quote][p][bold]coffee break[/bold] wrote: Why rehash old news? What was the mother thinking when she went to the Sun ? "My son has gotten over this and moved on to high school and put it behind him, lets tell all his schools mates and remind him about it a year later???" It was investigated! I would assume she was disiplined. She sounds like a spoilt child, they never told me the outcome of a confidential disiplinary so i am going to behave like a spoilt child. From what i have read i would say a bad judgement call a clear case of getting carried away with the moment.[/p][/quote]I saw this story in the Sun, he's now at upper school, why didn't his mum feel the need to report this at the time? clayton girl
  • Score: -1

8:38am Sat 22 Mar 14

ruthha says...

Just one reason . ££££££££££
££££££££££
£££££ from the SUN NEWSPAPER
Just one reason . ££££££££££ ££££££££££ £££££ from the SUN NEWSPAPER ruthha
  • Score: 2

3:45pm Tue 25 Mar 14

bradfordian says...

This is not the only terrible thing that is happening in our schools. Children are being weighed in front of the whole class instead of in private. Children are literally being forced on to the scales in teachers. This is abuse of the child.
This is not the only terrible thing that is happening in our schools. Children are being weighed in front of the whole class instead of in private. Children are literally being forced on to the scales in teachers. This is abuse of the child. bradfordian
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree