Concerns raised over management of urban village development

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe

Plans will soon be submitted for 1,200 homes as a flagship “urban village” development in the Canal Road corridor of Bradford starts to take shape.

And concerns about the running of the development were ironed out at a Bradford Council meeting yesterday.

The local authority has teamed up with Urbo Regeneration Ltd on its £250 million New Bolton Woods eco-village plan and work has now started on the first 46 homes with an outline planning application for about 1,200 homes expected to be submitted within the next three months.

But councillors warn that audit bosses had raised concerns about the activities and management of the Canal Road Urban Village Ltd, the joint venture company set up to oversee the 100-acre development.

The Council has a 19 per cent share in the company because it has contributed land to the scheme.

An internal Council audit flagged up five “areas of concern” with the running of the joint venture company in 2012.

As of September 2013, three of these had not yet been resolved. They were: l that the board was failing to meet quarterly; l that the Council did not hold the required legal documents about it; l and that the company was not providing enough information about the project’s costs to the Council.

Yesterday, the Council’s Governance and Audit Committee met to discuss the situation, and heard that all three problems had now been resolved.

Councillor Susan Hinchcliffe (Lab, Windhill and Wrose), who is the Council’s representative on the joint venture company’s board, told the committee that the board had not met for a while because “there wasn’t always a huge amount of information to report on”.

She said the scheme had now “accelerated” and meetings would be more frequent.

Committee member Councillor Howard Middleton (Lib Dem, Bolton and Undercliffe) said: “This is a genuine public sector Council and private sector development, but it has to be crystal clear to everybody what is happening and what is going on.

“I don’t think there’s any sort of major scandal.”

Committee chairman Councillor Lynne Smith (Lab, Wibsey) said the audit process had worked.

She said: “We have picked up the issues that needed to be picked up.”

The committee heard an outline planning application for about 1,200 homes was expected within the next three months.

Coun Hinchcliffe, who is also the Council’s executive member for employment, said the project was “good news”.

She said: “It’s an exciting opportunity. It’s been talked about for years, doing this kind of thing, but it’s not until the last two or three years that it has actually started to happen.”

Comments (10)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:46am Sat 1 Feb 14

RollandSmoke says...

I'm struggling to see where there are enough brownfield sites for 1,200 homes in the Canal road corridor. Please tell me that we're not going to loose more of our green spaces?. I'm coming over all Nimby
I'm struggling to see where there are enough brownfield sites for 1,200 homes in the Canal road corridor. Please tell me that we're not going to loose more of our green spaces?. I'm coming over all Nimby RollandSmoke
  • Score: 1

8:13am Sat 1 Feb 14

Joedavid says...

I feel objections and petitions on the way.
I feel objections and petitions on the way. Joedavid
  • Score: 7

8:37am Sat 1 Feb 14

G_Firth says...

Once again it seems the council are in denial that there is a social housing crisis
Once again it seems the council are in denial that there is a social housing crisis G_Firth
  • Score: 3

11:10am Sat 1 Feb 14

sorrow&anger says...

Here we go again. As with Westfield, we have a developer making major changes to Bradford and the Council isn't in control. Does anybody at City Hall know what they are doing? This will all end in tears.
Here we go again. As with Westfield, we have a developer making major changes to Bradford and the Council isn't in control. Does anybody at City Hall know what they are doing? This will all end in tears. sorrow&anger
  • Score: 5

11:16am Sat 1 Feb 14

Grumpygirl says...

These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?
These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter? Grumpygirl
  • Score: 2

11:50am Sat 1 Feb 14

Joedavid says...

Grumpygirl wrote:
These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?
Here we go again, this is said where ever new homes are proposed.
[quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?[/p][/quote]Here we go again, this is said where ever new homes are proposed. Joedavid
  • Score: 1

6:41pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Yorkshire Lass says...

Will this be the same as the eco-housing built on West Bowling when after a few months the boilers and heating systems were replaced for not being "fit for purpose" or something completely different?
Will this be the same as the eco-housing built on West Bowling when after a few months the boilers and heating systems were replaced for not being "fit for purpose" or something completely different? Yorkshire Lass
  • Score: 2

8:00pm Sat 1 Feb 14

Grumpygirl says...

Joedavid wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?
Here we go again, this is said where ever new homes are proposed.
That doesn't make it any less true. Bradford has some of the most congested roads in Europe already. With the Council refusing to fund the by-pass Shipley town centre is gong to become completely clogged.

The Developer should be made to pay for the by-pass.
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?[/p][/quote]Here we go again, this is said where ever new homes are proposed.[/p][/quote]That doesn't make it any less true. Bradford has some of the most congested roads in Europe already. With the Council refusing to fund the by-pass Shipley town centre is gong to become completely clogged. The Developer should be made to pay for the by-pass. Grumpygirl
  • Score: 0

11:37am Sun 2 Feb 14

thatsnotmyname says...

Grumpygirl wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?
Here we go again, this is said where ever new homes are proposed.
That doesn't make it any less true. Bradford has some of the most congested roads in Europe already. With the Council refusing to fund the by-pass Shipley town centre is gong to become completely clogged.

The Developer should be made to pay for the by-pass.
Things are a lot better in Shipley since the roundabout was removed. There is no need for a bypass. The funding for any major road work now comes from the Leeds city region.
[quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: These days 1200 houses means at least an extra 1200 cars. Has Cllr. Hinchcliffe actually tried driving along Canal Road in the rush hour? Or is she so important these days, being a board member and all, that she goes everywhere by helicopter?[/p][/quote]Here we go again, this is said where ever new homes are proposed.[/p][/quote]That doesn't make it any less true. Bradford has some of the most congested roads in Europe already. With the Council refusing to fund the by-pass Shipley town centre is gong to become completely clogged. The Developer should be made to pay for the by-pass.[/p][/quote]Things are a lot better in Shipley since the roundabout was removed. There is no need for a bypass. The funding for any major road work now comes from the Leeds city region. thatsnotmyname
  • Score: 0

1:28pm Sun 2 Feb 14

basil fawlty says...

So is the plan to reopen the canal dead?
So is the plan to reopen the canal dead? basil fawlty
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree