Shipley firefighter Mick Titmarsh is nominated for bravery award

Firefighter Mick Titmarsh has been shortlisted for an award

Firefighter Mick Titmarsh has been shortlisted for an award

First published in News

A firefighter who returned to work after breaking his neck in a road collision has been shortlisted for a bravery award.

Mick Titmarsh, 45, a watch commander at Shipley fire station, snapped two vertebrae when he cycled into the back of a coach on January 5 last year.

Now, after making a remarkable recovery and returning to work ten months later, Mr Titmarsh is up against three firefighters from Bolton, Cornwall and Merseyside for The Fire Fighters Charity’s Beneficiary of Courage accolade in the organisation’s Spirit of Fire Awards.

He praised the work of The Fire Fighters Charity in helping him recover from his devastating injuries. His treatment included two weeks in Penrith at one of the charity’s rehabilitation centres.

“They were instrumental in getting me back to work,” said Mr Titmarsh. “I want to shout from the rooftops how good they were.”

On being shortlisted, Mr Titmarsh said: “I feel great about it, although I have done nothing but try to get back to work. I don’t feel I have done anything special.” Mr Titmarsh was on his way to work when he ploughed into a coach that had suddenly stopped at a roundabout on Wakefield Road in Bradford.

After intense treatment that included a metal head brace being screwed into his skull, Mr Titmarsh returned to work and “modified duties” after six months. It was another four months before he returned to full duty.

On his injury, Mr Titmarsh said: “It was fairly severe and it has been a bit of a rollercoaster of a ride.”

Mr Titmarsh was nominated for the award by Peter Lau, West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service’s assistant district manager for Bradford.

Dom Furby, of Birkenshaw is shortlisted in the Supporter of the Year category, while West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, which has its headquarters in Birkenshaw, Bradford, is nominated for Fire Service of the Year.

Mr Titmarsh’s category, Beneficiary of Courage, is “awarded to a member of the fire and rescue service community who has shown bravery and strength of character in the face of adversity”.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:35am Fri 17 Jan 14

freespeech says...

I don't think for one minute that Mr Titmarsh hasn't gone through a traumatic time. Was he cycling with his eyes closed though, if he had been driving a car, he would have been driving without due car and attention, and possibly been prosecuted. I would have thought the bravery award would be for someone who had put their life at risk to save someone else's, call me old fashioned. I feel let down, the dentist didn't give me a sticker today after I went for a check up!
I don't think for one minute that Mr Titmarsh hasn't gone through a traumatic time. Was he cycling with his eyes closed though, if he had been driving a car, he would have been driving without due car and attention, and possibly been prosecuted. I would have thought the bravery award would be for someone who had put their life at risk to save someone else's, call me old fashioned. I feel let down, the dentist didn't give me a sticker today after I went for a check up! freespeech
  • Score: 3

1:40pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Tinks2100 says...

I think you'll find until you know the whole story of what happened you need to keep you gob shut!
I think you'll find until you know the whole story of what happened you need to keep you gob shut! Tinks2100
  • Score: -6

1:42pm Fri 17 Jan 14

freespeech says...

Tinks2100 wrote:
I think you'll find until you know the whole story of what happened you need to keep you gob shut!
Are you say the T & A don't cover the whole story? I am commenting on what is reported, I thought they were the facts!
[quote][p][bold]Tinks2100[/bold] wrote: I think you'll find until you know the whole story of what happened you need to keep you gob shut![/p][/quote]Are you say the T & A don't cover the whole story? I am commenting on what is reported, I thought they were the facts! freespeech
  • Score: 5

1:49pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Tinks2100 says...

They are sine of the facts but until you know exactly what happened I don't feel you can understand. Mr Titmarsh is my brother and the injuries he sustained were life threatening and the fact he's back at work at all is a bloody miracle, he's been nominated by one of his peers, just like other members of staff who have been nominated for other such challenges.
They are sine of the facts but until you know exactly what happened I don't feel you can understand. Mr Titmarsh is my brother and the injuries he sustained were life threatening and the fact he's back at work at all is a bloody miracle, he's been nominated by one of his peers, just like other members of staff who have been nominated for other such challenges. Tinks2100
  • Score: -2

2:11pm Fri 17 Jan 14

dontbedaft says...

not so much of a miracle if he had seen the coach,,,,,, if T&A report story properly then we, as readers might have a better understanding.
not so much of a miracle if he had seen the coach,,,,,, if T&A report story properly then we, as readers might have a better understanding. dontbedaft
  • Score: 1

2:23pm Fri 17 Jan 14

Tinks2100 says...

If you read the story correctly it's states the coach stopped suddenly! He did see the coach but was unable to stop. Instead of being so critical of this story try seeing it from his families side and the good that's come out of it not the negative comments coming out of ur mouths!
If you read the story correctly it's states the coach stopped suddenly! He did see the coach but was unable to stop. Instead of being so critical of this story try seeing it from his families side and the good that's come out of it not the negative comments coming out of ur mouths! Tinks2100
  • Score: -3

8:10pm Fri 17 Jan 14

madzippy says...

freespeech wrote:
I don't think for one minute that Mr Titmarsh hasn't gone through a traumatic time. Was he cycling with his eyes closed though, if he had been driving a car, he would have been driving without due car and attention, and possibly been prosecuted. I would have thought the bravery award would be for someone who had put their life at risk to save someone else's, call me old fashioned. I feel let down, the dentist didn't give me a sticker today after I went for a check up!
What a vile person you are.This brave and totally unselfish hero has probably saved more lives than you have had hot dinners.I bet you wouldn't mind him popping round if your house was on fire.Well done Mick and the very best of luck.Wishing you well in your continuing recovery.people need to learn to read the facts properly instead of passing instant judgement as to who was to blame.
[quote][p][bold]freespeech[/bold] wrote: I don't think for one minute that Mr Titmarsh hasn't gone through a traumatic time. Was he cycling with his eyes closed though, if he had been driving a car, he would have been driving without due car and attention, and possibly been prosecuted. I would have thought the bravery award would be for someone who had put their life at risk to save someone else's, call me old fashioned. I feel let down, the dentist didn't give me a sticker today after I went for a check up![/p][/quote]What a vile person you are.This brave and totally unselfish hero has probably saved more lives than you have had hot dinners.I bet you wouldn't mind him popping round if your house was on fire.Well done Mick and the very best of luck.Wishing you well in your continuing recovery.people need to learn to read the facts properly instead of passing instant judgement as to who was to blame. madzippy
  • Score: 0

9:40pm Fri 17 Jan 14

freespeech says...

madzippy wrote:
freespeech wrote:
I don't think for one minute that Mr Titmarsh hasn't gone through a traumatic time. Was he cycling with his eyes closed though, if he had been driving a car, he would have been driving without due car and attention, and possibly been prosecuted. I would have thought the bravery award would be for someone who had put their life at risk to save someone else's, call me old fashioned. I feel let down, the dentist didn't give me a sticker today after I went for a check up!
What a vile person you are.This brave and totally unselfish hero has probably saved more lives than you have had hot dinners.I bet you wouldn't mind him popping round if your house was on fire.Well done Mick and the very best of luck.Wishing you well in your continuing recovery.people need to learn to read the facts properly instead of passing instant judgement as to who was to blame.
I've had about 18,000 hot dinners, and safe driving practice requires that you should always leave sufficient space so that you won't run into the back of the vehicle in front if the driver makes an emergency stop.
[quote][p][bold]madzippy[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]freespeech[/bold] wrote: I don't think for one minute that Mr Titmarsh hasn't gone through a traumatic time. Was he cycling with his eyes closed though, if he had been driving a car, he would have been driving without due car and attention, and possibly been prosecuted. I would have thought the bravery award would be for someone who had put their life at risk to save someone else's, call me old fashioned. I feel let down, the dentist didn't give me a sticker today after I went for a check up![/p][/quote]What a vile person you are.This brave and totally unselfish hero has probably saved more lives than you have had hot dinners.I bet you wouldn't mind him popping round if your house was on fire.Well done Mick and the very best of luck.Wishing you well in your continuing recovery.people need to learn to read the facts properly instead of passing instant judgement as to who was to blame.[/p][/quote]I've had about 18,000 hot dinners, and safe driving practice requires that you should always leave sufficient space so that you won't run into the back of the vehicle in front if the driver makes an emergency stop. freespeech
  • Score: 4

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree