Firemen in search after blaze at student building

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Aire/Worth Valley Reporter

A fire in a student accommodation today led to firefighters in breathing gear searching for students who may have been trapped inside.

The fire, on the second floor of Arkwright Hall, started at about 8.40am and was caused by a faulty extractor fan in a kitchen area.

It led to thick smoke billowing out of the windows and students evacuated the building. When fire crews, from Odsal, Fairweather Green and Shipley, arrived the students they spoke to were not certain if there was anyone left in the building in Tumbling Hill Street near the University of Bradford.

Firefighters in breathing gear searched the second floor but found that everyone had managed to make it out.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The smoke was quite thick and there was a lot of smoke damage to the kitchen.

“Fortunately no-one was injured, and it turned out the residents had all got out in time.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree