Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
East Bowling boy, 2, died in bathtime tragedy
6:00am Wednesday 23rd October 2013 in News
A two-year-old boy died in a tragic bathtime accident after his young sister got in with him and started running the taps, an inquest in Bradford has heard.
Muhammad Hayan Khurram, who lived with his family in Crawford Street, East Bowling, had been left in a large bucket in the empty bath for a few moments by his mother Farah Khurram on November 24 last year.
But his four-year-old sister had also wanted a bath and while their mother was in another room collecting towels and putting clothes away, she got herself undressed, climbed into the bath and turned on the taps.
Somehow the bucket, which Muhammad loved being bathed in and had only been one third full, tipped over, sending him face down in the water, the hearing was told yesterday.
His mother described in a statement how earlier she had not been able to placate her crying daughter, despite telling her she could have a bath later.
She had left them alone for a few moments, but when she returned she saw Muhammad face down in the water and her daughter looking shocked and now undressed standing in the bath with taps running, saying “Hayan fell over”.
His mother lifted him out of the bath, told her daughter to get out and get dressed, and took the tot downstairs where she tried to revive him and dialled 999. Paramedics tried desperately to revive him and the fight to save him continued at Bradford Royal Infirmary, but all efforts failed Because of the circumstances, a police investigation was triggered which included a forensic post-mortem examination and testing to see if the young girl was physically capable of turning on and off the taps herself, which she was.
Mrs Khurram told police her daughter loved her brother, was kind and caring and wanted to include him in everything she did.
Earlier in the investigation the mother had said Muhammad, called Hayan by his family, had been in the bath in a secure seat which had tipped forward, but police had been puzzled how it could happen because the seat was so stable.
The mother then told investigating officers he had been left kneeling in the bucket instead and that he had been bathed in it before and loved it. He could sit up in it and hold the rim.
On November 27 and November 28 respectively, Muhammad’s parents had been arrested on suspicion of manslaughter. But, after exhaustive inquiries, police were satisfied no further action should be taken.
Muhammad was known to have some developmental problems. He had difficulties with communication, sitting upright and had to be fed with pureed food. The day before his death he had been for a clinic check-up, but there was nothing medically that contributed to his death, the inquest was told.
Recording a verdict of accidental death, assistant Bradford coroner Mary Burke said: “This is a most tragic set of circumstances that certainly was never predicted and certainly not intended.”