Bradford qualifications levels among worst

Graduates at the University of Bradford – but parts of the city have the worst rates of educational under-achievement in the country

Graduates at the University of Bradford – but parts of the city have the worst rates of educational under-achievement in the country

First published in News Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , Bradford Chief Reporter

Parts of Bradford have among the worst rates of educational under- achievement found in the country, leading to one MP calling for parents’ qualifications to be considered when looking at which pupils need the most support.

A survey by the University and College Union (UCU) has found that 15 of the 22 West Yorkshire parliamentary constituencies have more residents without any qualifications than the British average, which stands at 10.7 per cent.

The hotspots for educational under-achievement in the region include Bradford East, which has more than one in five residents aged 16 to 64 without any academic qualifications.

It ranks sixth worst out of 632 constituencies in England, Scotland and Wales for its proportion of adults without qualifications at 23.7 per cent, closely followed by Bradford West at 18.2 per cent, Bradford South at 16.8 per cent and Keighley at 10.9 per cent.

In contrast, the figure in Shipley was below the national average at nine per cent.

Bradford East MP David Ward, fresh from a trip to Holland with the Education Select Committee to see how Early Years education is conducted there, said that elsewhere there is more focus on the educational attainments of parents, rather than income which is the factor used in the UK, when assessing whether students needed more help.

“It is a problem,” he said.

“Some of the problems we have are families on low incomes and high levels of deprivation exist.

“Add to that the low level of qualifications of the parents and you have double the problem. There are still a lot of new arrivals from the continent with low educational qualifications and, in some cases, no educational background. That is bound to have an effect on their own children’s education.

“It just shows the importance of providing additional support.”

UCU ranked the parliamentary constituencies in England, Scotland and Wales, according to the percentage of working-age people (16 to 64 years old) who have no academic qualifications. The analysis coincides with the start of a new campaign to promote the knowledge economy and its contribution to the country.

UCU regional official Mark Oley said: “This survey shows us that educational under-achievement is widespread across West Yorkshire, with parts of Bradford and Huddersfield having some of the highest numbers of people without qualifications in Britain.

“We know it is the knowledge economy that will drive economic growth, enhance social mobility and enable our country to compete globally. Yet politicians all too often seem to see cutting off access for young and old to educational opportunities as an easy target. Given the opportunity, everyone can benefit from education.”

Bradford South MP Gerry Sutcliffe (Lab) said: “We need to all work together to improve this situation.

“When I speak to teachers they see children with low aspirations and people have the feeling they can’t do well.

“We need to help parents with children’s centres and primary schools and hopefully things will get better.”

Shipley Conservative MP Philip Davies said: “We need an education system which allows people from anywhere to succeed and I believe that the reforms the Government are making will help, but believe ultimately we need a return to selection and the assisted places scheme in order to ensure that children from the poorest backgrounds can access the best schools.”

Keighley Conservative MP Kris Hopkins said that addressing educational attainment was the most important issue the Government faced and it was certainly concerning that levels across Bradford district are rated so poorly, according to the analysis.

He said: “I note that these figures relate back to 2011 and tangible progress has certainly been made since then. However, the pace of improvement must quicken if we are to give our young people the best possible chance to succeed.”

George Galloway, Respect MP for Bradford West, said: “Sadly these figures just reiterate what I have been saying from before I was elected, that the standard of education in this part of the world is appalling. There is a crisis in education which no one will admit to because they are part of the problem rather than the solution.

“We need a full-blown and independent inquiry into why the education authorities are failing students and parents. I am fed up with the old excuses I want action.”

Comments (22)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

7:42am Fri 8 Feb 13

Cooperlane2 says...

Gerry Sutcliffe should roll his neck in considering NuLabor allowed virtually unchecked immigration in order to increase their vote.
Gerry Sutcliffe should roll his neck in considering NuLabor allowed virtually unchecked immigration in order to increase their vote. Cooperlane2
  • Score: 0

9:14am Fri 8 Feb 13

thatsnotmyname says...

Parents attitude to education, that's what needs looking at. If they didn't care about education how on earth are their kids going to respect it?
Parents attitude to education, that's what needs looking at. If they didn't care about education how on earth are their kids going to respect it? thatsnotmyname
  • Score: 0

9:30am Fri 8 Feb 13

bradfordlad says...

thatsnotmyname wrote:
Parents attitude to education, that's what needs looking at. If they didn't care about education how on earth are their kids going to respect it?
so true, this is the biggest problem in all communities , the culture of being able to live on the state makes it easy to not get an education. We were in a fortunate position where my parents who were not well off still made us study and made sure we all obtained degrees even though they struggled to to pay for it all. It would have been far easier for them to say to us go work from the age of 16 but credit to them for not doing that .
[quote][p][bold]thatsnotmyname[/bold] wrote: Parents attitude to education, that's what needs looking at. If they didn't care about education how on earth are their kids going to respect it?[/p][/quote]so true, this is the biggest problem in all communities , the culture of being able to live on the state makes it easy to not get an education. We were in a fortunate position where my parents who were not well off still made us study and made sure we all obtained degrees even though they struggled to to pay for it all. It would have been far easier for them to say to us go work from the age of 16 but credit to them for not doing that . bradfordlad
  • Score: 0

10:48am Fri 8 Feb 13

mr-mixalot says...

Both my parents came from abroad and worked until ill health forced them to stop

They always harped on about education and all 3 of us siblings left with some form of qualification, I left part way through my A levels way back in 1991 and have worked ever since, my brother got a degree and now works in education and my sister did the best out of all of us, she works for a hospitality chain but also part time drives sports car for Team SEAT

Parent needs to realize that children needs qualifications to stand a chance in the big wide world
Both my parents came from abroad and worked until ill health forced them to stop They always harped on about education and all 3 of us siblings left with some form of qualification, I left part way through my A levels way back in 1991 and have worked ever since, my brother got a degree and now works in education and my sister did the best out of all of us, she works for a hospitality chain but also part time drives sports car for Team SEAT Parent needs to realize that children needs qualifications to stand a chance in the big wide world mr-mixalot
  • Score: 0

11:09am Fri 8 Feb 13

Albion. says...

I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.
I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education. Albion.
  • Score: 0

11:10am Fri 8 Feb 13

Truth conquers all! says...

Interesting to read Mr David Ward MP's comments. What he fails to add which Mr Galloway very wisely picks up (even though he is relatively new to the area) is the education authorities failing our children and families. Mr Ward MP was chair of governors at Thornbury Primary school when he along with the rest of the Governing Body was removed and replaced with an Interim Executive Board (IEB). Mr Ward mentions the deprivation in the area but that has not stopped HT's demanding very high salaries without any real positive results. The real 'problem' is the likes of Mr Ward not challenging these failing heads (Thornbury HT was eventually 'moved on') and instead defending their poor performance.
What is even more astonishing is how the T&A kept Mr Wards name and photo out of their paper when all this happened but ran a front page story when exactly the same happened to governors in another school in the district, some months earlier. So what if it was during his election campaing! - let the truth be known!. It seems the T&A is getting almost as blatant as 'newspapers' like The Times in its agenda when targeting certain members of the community. I suppose this also explains the clear racist and ignorant views of some of its readership (all the 'comments' that we read that inevitably focus on immigration or religion and ignore the real story - as this story also is now proving).

I echo Mr Galloways call for action not just in schools but also in asking the T&A to report 'news' in a truely professional manner and cease its double standards towards certain communities. What unites us is greater than that which divides us, so let us work together towards a better Bradford for all. Enough already with the excuses and ignorance - MP's, T&A and education authorities should set a better example.
Interesting to read Mr David Ward MP's comments. What he fails to add which Mr Galloway very wisely picks up (even though he is relatively new to the area) is the education authorities failing our children and families. Mr Ward MP was chair of governors at Thornbury Primary school when he along with the rest of the Governing Body was removed and replaced with an Interim Executive Board (IEB). Mr Ward mentions the deprivation in the area but that has not stopped HT's demanding very high salaries without any real positive results. The real 'problem' is the likes of Mr Ward not challenging these failing heads (Thornbury HT was eventually 'moved on') and instead defending their poor performance. What is even more astonishing is how the T&A kept Mr Wards name and photo out of their paper when all this happened but ran a front page story when exactly the same happened to governors in another school in the district, some months earlier. So what if it was during his election campaing! - let the truth be known!. It seems the T&A is getting almost as blatant as 'newspapers' like The Times in its agenda when targeting certain members of the community. I suppose this also explains the clear racist and ignorant views of some of its readership (all the 'comments' that we read that inevitably focus on immigration or religion and ignore the real story - as this story also is now proving). I echo Mr Galloways call for action not just in schools but also in asking the T&A to report 'news' in a truely professional manner and cease its double standards towards certain communities. What unites us is greater than that which divides us, so let us work together towards a better Bradford for all. Enough already with the excuses and ignorance - MP's, T&A and education authorities should set a better example. Truth conquers all!
  • Score: 0

11:26am Fri 8 Feb 13

bradfordlad says...

Albion. wrote:
I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.
oh dear a jealous albion.... sat at home thinking of nothing better to do than have a go .... i drive a bmw x5, windows are tinted at the back because thats how i bought it from the garage ... maybe i have one because i have a number of qualifcations , what does that make me, stop the jealous rants albion, maybe if you got of your backside you could actually have one yourself, there are bad aspects to all communities just remember that, if you want to ever have a educated debate then please feel free
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.[/p][/quote]oh dear a jealous albion.... sat at home thinking of nothing better to do than have a go .... i drive a bmw x5, windows are tinted at the back because thats how i bought it from the garage ... maybe i have one because i have a number of qualifcations , what does that make me, stop the jealous rants albion, maybe if you got of your backside you could actually have one yourself, there are bad aspects to all communities just remember that, if you want to ever have a educated debate then please feel free bradfordlad
  • Score: 0

11:53am Fri 8 Feb 13

The Hoffster says...

Albion. wrote:
I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.
What about the chavs on sink estates like Fagley, Holmewood, Buttershaw, Queensbury, Idle etc...?

How many doctors and lawyers do you think we'll be seeing from those racist, far-right sh*t holes ?
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.[/p][/quote]What about the chavs on sink estates like Fagley, Holmewood, Buttershaw, Queensbury, Idle etc...? How many doctors and lawyers do you think we'll be seeing from those racist, far-right sh*t holes ? The Hoffster
  • Score: 0

12:57pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Outraged English Subject says...

Albion. wrote:
I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.
Idiot!
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: I should imagine that some of Bradford's very wealthy "blacked out BMW" owners had little or no education.[/p][/quote]Idiot! Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

1:31pm Fri 8 Feb 13

seen it all before says...

silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind
silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind seen it all before
  • Score: 0

1:32pm Fri 8 Feb 13

seen it all before says...

silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind
silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind seen it all before
  • Score: 0

1:40pm Fri 8 Feb 13

ANY WHERE BUT HERE says...

Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts!
Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts! ANY WHERE BUT HERE
  • Score: 0

1:43pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Outraged English Subject says...

seen it all before wrote:
silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind
Mordacious, springs to mind.
[quote][p][bold]seen it all before[/bold] wrote: silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind[/p][/quote]Mordacious, springs to mind. Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

1:44pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Outraged English Subject says...

seen it all before wrote:
silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind
Mordacious, springs to mind.
[quote][p][bold]seen it all before[/bold] wrote: silk purse from a sows ear, springs to mind[/p][/quote]Mordacious, springs to mind. Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

1:50pm Fri 8 Feb 13

bradfordlad says...

ANY WHERE BUT HERE wrote:
Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts!
the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.
[quote][p][bold]ANY WHERE BUT HERE[/bold] wrote: Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts![/p][/quote]the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts. bradfordlad
  • Score: 0

2:04pm Fri 8 Feb 13

ANY WHERE BUT HERE says...

bradfordlad wrote:
ANY WHERE BUT HERE wrote:
Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts!
the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.
(MOST!) unbelievable.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ANY WHERE BUT HERE[/bold] wrote: Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts![/p][/quote]the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.[/p][/quote](MOST!) unbelievable. ANY WHERE BUT HERE
  • Score: 0

2:16pm Fri 8 Feb 13

RollandSmoke says...

We need to lose the interlectual snobbery that exists in this country. Yes there are some who fail to be inspired academically, this doesn't mean however that these people cannot learn. It seems however that educational achievement has become yet another deviding line and whilst there are a lot of very intelligent people out there from whom others can learn a lot, the inteligencia look down their noses at those people as they deem them lesser people. I find it nausiating that whenever it is highlighted that, for whatever reason, people are struggling the first response of some is to attack those people.
We need to lose the interlectual snobbery that exists in this country. Yes there are some who fail to be inspired academically, this doesn't mean however that these people cannot learn. It seems however that educational achievement has become yet another deviding line and whilst there are a lot of very intelligent people out there from whom others can learn a lot, the inteligencia look down their noses at those people as they deem them lesser people. I find it nausiating that whenever it is highlighted that, for whatever reason, people are struggling the first response of some is to attack those people. RollandSmoke
  • Score: 0

2:22pm Fri 8 Feb 13

bradfordlad says...

ANY WHERE BUT HERE wrote:
bradfordlad wrote:
ANY WHERE BUT HERE wrote:
Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts!
the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.
(MOST!) unbelievable.
Sorry I was wrong, these are the figures from 2010

Percentage of Pakistani Girls with 5 A-C gsces or more 53.1%

Percentage of White British girls with 5 A-C gcses or more 58.6& .

I also think that figure will be a lot closer now.

A 5% difference ... not a lot in real terms put definately pays shot to your theory of the fact we dont promote education, in fact if we are not promoting education what does that say about white british parents?
[quote][p][bold]ANY WHERE BUT HERE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bradfordlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ANY WHERE BUT HERE[/bold] wrote: Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts![/p][/quote]the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.[/p][/quote](MOST!) unbelievable.[/p][/quote]Sorry I was wrong, these are the figures from 2010 Percentage of Pakistani Girls with 5 A-C gsces or more 53.1% Percentage of White British girls with 5 A-C gcses or more 58.6& . I also think that figure will be a lot closer now. A 5% difference ... not a lot in real terms put definately pays shot to your theory of the fact we dont promote education, in fact if we are not promoting education what does that say about white british parents? bradfordlad
  • Score: 0

2:26pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Not so simple says...

Some of the people of Bradford aren't bothered about education or qualifications.

I recall frequenting various public meetings and consultations, I soon realised that the people organising and presenting the information were the only qualified people there. The vast majority had barely scraped an O level/GCSE.

The vast majority weren't interested in learning, just consumption and being depressed at how bad and unfair life is. I see Caucasions complaining Asians have taken over the city, the Asians in turn say the eastern Europeans are running wild, the eastern Europeans are waiting for the next round of Bulgarians and Romanians to blame for things

Lack of an education or willing to learn are major problems.

Now we have families of people with no education or experience....the dole que awaits,
Some of the people of Bradford aren't bothered about education or qualifications. I recall frequenting various public meetings and consultations, I soon realised that the people organising and presenting the information were the only qualified people there. The vast majority had barely scraped an O level/GCSE. The vast majority weren't interested in learning, just consumption and being depressed at how bad and unfair life is. I see Caucasions complaining Asians have taken over the city, the Asians in turn say the eastern Europeans are running wild, the eastern Europeans are waiting for the next round of Bulgarians and Romanians to blame for things Lack of an education or willing to learn are major problems. Now we have families of people with no education or experience....the dole que awaits, Not so simple
  • Score: 0

2:43pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Outraged English Subject says...

Quite poignant, nevertheless accurate, austerity not withstanding education is the number one of the districts problems.
Quite poignant, nevertheless accurate, austerity not withstanding education is the number one of the districts problems. Outraged English Subject
  • Score: 0

6:24pm Fri 8 Feb 13

Steve30d says...

Much of science and maths seem to be taught from a "history of the subject" point of view, the idea is that the oldest knowledge must be the easiest to pick up on. However that often results in the kids being taught things are one way, then a few years later they get told that what they were told previously wasn't entirely correct, but was a kind of half truth. I can understand why kids get fed up with that,and loose interest- what's the point in learning something if that learning will be "obsolete" in a few years time.
Parents with an interest in a subject usually acknowledge they're "teaching" kids a simplified version- and that's usually enough to prevent the problem.
Much of science and maths seem to be taught from a "history of the subject" point of view, the idea is that the oldest knowledge must be the easiest to pick up on. However that often results in the kids being taught things are one way, then a few years later they get told that what they were told previously wasn't entirely correct, but was a kind of half truth. I can understand why kids get fed up with that,and loose interest- what's the point in learning something if that learning will be "obsolete" in a few years time. Parents with an interest in a subject usually acknowledge they're "teaching" kids a simplified version- and that's usually enough to prevent the problem. Steve30d
  • Score: 0

8:32am Sat 9 Feb 13

SinnerSaint says...

bradfordlad wrote:
ANY WHERE BUT HERE wrote:
bradfordlad wrote:
ANY WHERE BUT HERE wrote:
Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts!
the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.
(MOST!) unbelievable.
Sorry I was wrong, these are the figures from 2010

Percentage of Pakistani Girls with 5 A-C gsces or more 53.1%

Percentage of White British girls with 5 A-C gcses or more 58.6& .

I also think that figure will be a lot closer now.

A 5% difference ... not a lot in real terms put definately pays shot to your theory of the fact we dont promote education, in fact if we are not promoting education what does that say about white british parents?
I don't see how your statistics support your argument.

Perhaps you could provide statistics from Pakistan, proving that it's education system is superior to the UK?

I thought not.
[quote][p][bold]bradfordlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ANY WHERE BUT HERE[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]bradfordlad[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]ANY WHERE BUT HERE[/bold] wrote: Wer'e importing Pakistanis through marriage and illegal migration. Some of these are from little more than shanty towns. Religion is all they know, A big part of the people of that religion dont promote education,look at the young girl who got shot in the head? Just when is anybody going to discuss what is going on, it is not racist to deal in Facts![/p][/quote]the young girl who got shot in the head, you will most pakistanis were disgusted by that. i bet if you look at the fact and figures the percentage of pakistani girls compared to white girls suceeding in this country will be more. why because parents value education so much for their kids, if it was a case that we dont promote education then would this be happening ... as usual , someone who is just a jealous individual and cant report facts.[/p][/quote](MOST!) unbelievable.[/p][/quote]Sorry I was wrong, these are the figures from 2010 Percentage of Pakistani Girls with 5 A-C gsces or more 53.1% Percentage of White British girls with 5 A-C gcses or more 58.6& . I also think that figure will be a lot closer now. A 5% difference ... not a lot in real terms put definately pays shot to your theory of the fact we dont promote education, in fact if we are not promoting education what does that say about white british parents?[/p][/quote]I don't see how your statistics support your argument. Perhaps you could provide statistics from Pakistan, proving that it's education system is superior to the UK? I thought not. SinnerSaint
  • Score: 0

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree