Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email
Pudsey & District
The ancient town of Pudsey lies on the eastern foothills of the Yorkshire Pennines.
Mentioned in the Domesday Survey of l087/l088, it has a long, proud history and has long been associated with the manufacture of woollen cloth.
Pudsey fought off the territorial ambitions of Leeds and Bradford, and in 1900 received the last Charter of Incorporation granted by Queen Victoria.
In 1937 it annexed the neighbouring villages of Farsley and Calverley, but in 1974 , following local government reorganisation, Pudsey became part of the Metropolitan City of Leeds.
Pudsey is mainly a stone town, built from the wealth of local quarries. As well as the clusters of stone cottages the town is studded with detached, two or three storey houses built by the cloth manufacturers and woolstaplers.
There are also some elegant Georgian houses, for example Nesbit Hall and Height House, while the town is dominated by the parish church of St Lawrence, built in 1821-1824.
There is a busy shopping centre with an open market on Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, while Booth's Yard has been transformed into an attractive cobbled shopping street.
Pudsey also has an 'out-of-town retail park', the Owlcotes Centre.
Near the town centre is a new Sports Centre and spacious park with a bowling green, modern aviary, aquarium, miniature zoo and childrens' playground.