A RETIRED Bradford doctor told a jury he was "totally appalled and flabbergasted" by allegations that he had sexually abused a young girl 30 years ago.

Ahmed Masood, 71, said he could not believe it when he was accused of molesting the child at his home and at a hospital when she was aged between seven and ten.

Masood, of Lampards Close, Allerton, Bradford, is on trial at Bradford Crown Court denying six charges of indecent assault.

Yesterday, giving evidence in his defence, he said he came to the UK in 1973 after qualifying as a doctor in his native India.

His wife was also a doctor and they had one son.

He worked for Leeds Health Authority and then at Bradford Royal Infirmary, moving to a post at Middleton Hospital, near Ilkley, from 1978 to 1983.

He often stayed overnight at the hospital in staff accommodation.

Masood then set up in GP practice at Bertram Road, Manningham, Bradford, and at Whetley Hill Medical Centre, on Saplin Street in the city.

He had no criminal convictions and the General Medical Council confirmed it had never received any complaint about him of sexually inappropriate behaviour.

Masood said he took the girl to his home on just one occasion when she asked to accompany him to feed his cats.

Asked by his barrister, Katherine Pierpoint: "When you went to the house, did you sexually abuse her?"

Masood replied: "No, I did not."

He said he had never worked at Airedale Hospital and did not take the girl there.

When Miss Pierpoint asked Masood how he felt about the allegations, he told the court: "I am totally appalled, flabbergasted - disbelief, I just can't believe this."

Gerald Hendron, barrister for the Crown, suggested to Masood that he took the girl to Middleton Hospital.

"She thought it was Airedale, because the corridors looked familiar," he said.

"You took her to the hospital, with accommodation for doctors, in a green and open space."

Masood replied: "I have never taken her to a hospital, that is for sure."

The jury was told that the Middleton Hospital building had since been demolished.

Masood, who was arrested in July last year, made no comment to all police questions.

He told the court it was because he was fasting at the time and acted on the advice of his solicitor.

The trial continues.