Shops and leisure complex at former Morrisons' headquarters could provide jobs boost

How the retail and leisure development on the site of the former Morrisons HQ could look.

How the retail and leisure development on the site of the former Morrisons HQ could look.

First published in News
Last updated
Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photograph of the Author by , City Hall Reporter

UP to 100 jobs could be created if plans to turn the former Morrisons head office into a new retail and leisure site get the go-ahead.

The supermarket group wants permission to build four shops, a restaurant and an industrial unit on the site of its former Hilmore House offices in Thornton Road, Girlington, Bradford.

Morrisons has now submitted a full planning application, which is to be considered by planners in the coming months, with a decision due in November.

The firm used the site, between Ingleby Road and Rosse Street, as its headquarters until it relocated to Gain Lane in 2006. Its warehousing there closed in 2012.

The offices and warehouses have since been pulled down and the site currently lies vacant and derelict, the planning application says.

A report drawn up by the scheme's architects, Urban Edge, says a public consultation into the retail and leisure plan was held in June to gauge people's views, and the results had been "wholly positive".

It says: "To summarise, 100 per cent of respondents said that they supported the proposals. 83.4 per cent were fully supportive of the proposal and the remaining 16.6 per cent supported the proposals but had some comments to make."

And it says as a result of comments made, the number of planned car parking spaces had been reduced by almost a third to 206, and a landscaping strategy had been introduced to soften the overall impact of the development.

A Morrisons spokesman said: “Following a positive public consultation we have submitted a planning application for the redevelopment of our Thornton Road site.

"While it’s still early days, we hope that Bradford Council will support our application, and recognise the benefits it will unlock for the local area, just as local residents and shoppers have.”

The firm has also indicated that it hopes to keep the site and act as landlords for any future tenants, rather than selling off the land.

Ward Councillor Imran Hussain (Lab, Toller) said he would welcome the redevelopment of the site, but said he would be pushing for new jobs to go to local people.

He said: "Unemployment is still an issue in and around that area."

Comments (6)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:34am Mon 18 Aug 14

Joedavid says...

Build houses there.
Build houses there. Joedavid
  • Score: -7

12:46pm Mon 18 Aug 14

schroeder says...

This will be great - hope it happens!
This will be great - hope it happens! schroeder
  • Score: 10

1:00pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Joedavid says...

Joedavid wrote:
Build houses there.
So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: Build houses there.[/p][/quote]So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes. Joedavid
  • Score: -3

1:09pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Wanna Have says...

Joedavid wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
Build houses there.
So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.
It would be a shocking place to live.it is hugely congested around there,it would be the last place I would want to live.it needs to be used for industrial operation's.
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: Build houses there.[/p][/quote]So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.[/p][/quote]It would be a shocking place to live.it is hugely congested around there,it would be the last place I would want to live.it needs to be used for industrial operation's. Wanna Have
  • Score: 9

1:15pm Mon 18 Aug 14

Joedavid says...

Wanna Have wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
Build houses there.
So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.
It would be a shocking place to live.it is hugely congested around there,it would be the last place I would want to live.it needs to be used for industrial operation's.
When I was small I lived round there and lots of people did.

The T&A when reporting proposed houses in the country side out comes the cry build on ex-industrial sites.

Seems people do not want houses built full stop.
[quote][p][bold]Wanna Have[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: Build houses there.[/p][/quote]So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.[/p][/quote]It would be a shocking place to live.it is hugely congested around there,it would be the last place I would want to live.it needs to be used for industrial operation's.[/p][/quote]When I was small I lived round there and lots of people did. The T&A when reporting proposed houses in the country side out comes the cry build on ex-industrial sites. Seems people do not want houses built full stop. Joedavid
  • Score: 0

5:35pm Mon 18 Aug 14

linebacker2 says...

Joedavid wrote:
Wanna Have wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
Joedavid wrote:
Build houses there.
So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.
It would be a shocking place to live.it is hugely congested around there,it would be the last place I would want to live.it needs to be used for industrial operation's.
When I was small I lived round there and lots of people did.

The T&A when reporting proposed houses in the country side out comes the cry build on ex-industrial sites.

Seems people do not want houses built full stop.
You're right in saying many people don't want homes being built full stop - especially when it's their own back yards. Such people are getting their way as despite the headlines, new build housing is at an historic low.
[quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Wanna Have[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Joedavid[/bold] wrote: Build houses there.[/p][/quote]So you all think houses shouldn't be built on ex-industrial sites judging by the negative votes.[/p][/quote]It would be a shocking place to live.it is hugely congested around there,it would be the last place I would want to live.it needs to be used for industrial operation's.[/p][/quote]When I was small I lived round there and lots of people did. The T&A when reporting proposed houses in the country side out comes the cry build on ex-industrial sites. Seems people do not want houses built full stop.[/p][/quote]You're right in saying many people don't want homes being built full stop - especially when it's their own back yards. Such people are getting their way as despite the headlines, new build housing is at an historic low. linebacker2
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree