Labour lose control of Calderdale after shock vote of no confidence

Labour lose control of Calderdale after shock vote of no confidence

Labour lose control of Calderdale after shock vote of no confidence

First published in News
Last updated

THE leader of Calderdale Council was ousted last night after a vote of no confidence was passed amid claims that his Labour administration had failed to work with the other parties on the authority.

Councillor Tim Swift, who has led the Council since 2012, was removed from the leadership position by 24 votes to 22, after a motion put forward by the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats was successful.

Conservative leader Stephen Baines has now taken over as leader of the Council in a move that will see a minority Tory administration working in conjunction with opposition councillors.

A statement from the parties said: “It has become clear that the Labour Group has no intention of honouring the assurances it gave in May 2014 that it would consult and work with the other parties represented on Calderdale Council."

It continued: "They are ignoring the views of the public of Calderdale and the wishes of the Council that were clearly set out at its budget-setting meeting in February.

“All the current opposition groups on the Council believe that the attitude and actions of the Labour cabinet are totally unacceptable, and that the public of Calderdale deserve better."

Labour cabinet decisions, such as going against a vote to reverse new evening parking charges, prompted the vote of no confidence.

Comments (12)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:20am Thu 31 Jul 14

Thee Voice of Reason says...

Labour councils love charging for parking, gives them a chance to fine people which is when the real money rolls in.

Glad they have been shown the door on that basis and I'm glad Labour efforts to not allow cars across a bridge in York has been met by having to refund all cars that were fined.

It really points out their priorities. Look at Bingley where they are adding extra parking restrictions, Labours refusal to offer free parking in Bradford and how they issued tickets for a car simply waiting at a set of traffic lights using their video car out there purely to generate parking fine revenue.
Labour councils love charging for parking, gives them a chance to fine people which is when the real money rolls in. Glad they have been shown the door on that basis and I'm glad Labour efforts to not allow cars across a bridge in York has been met by having to refund all cars that were fined. It really points out their priorities. Look at Bingley where they are adding extra parking restrictions, Labours refusal to offer free parking in Bradford and how they issued tickets for a car simply waiting at a set of traffic lights using their video car out there purely to generate parking fine revenue. Thee Voice of Reason
  • Score: 30

10:41am Thu 31 Jul 14

Albion. says...

Well done Calderdale, hopefully Bradford will follow suit.
Well done Calderdale, hopefully Bradford will follow suit. Albion.
  • Score: 30

10:59am Thu 31 Jul 14

OLDLAD says...

Never happen in Bradford, as the labour loving voters gave them a majority at the last elections. You reap what you sow. Bradford council have a mandate to do what they want due to the voters electing them to power on the premise of that's what they want.
Never happen in Bradford, as the labour loving voters gave them a majority at the last elections. You reap what you sow. Bradford council have a mandate to do what they want due to the voters electing them to power on the premise of that's what they want. OLDLAD
  • Score: 13

11:13am Thu 31 Jul 14

G_Firth says...

People are waking up to how dangerous Labour really is
People are waking up to how dangerous Labour really is G_Firth
  • Score: 22

12:06pm Thu 31 Jul 14

They only do damage! says...

Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.
Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!. They only do damage!
  • Score: 20

12:51pm Thu 31 Jul 14

BCFC1911 says...

G_Firth wrote:
People are waking up to how dangerous Labour really is
Alas this will take many years as most of their "supporters" just vote for them out of habit rather than understanding what they are about.

The quicker the whole Labour party is finished the better
[quote][p][bold]G_Firth[/bold] wrote: People are waking up to how dangerous Labour really is[/p][/quote]Alas this will take many years as most of their "supporters" just vote for them out of habit rather than understanding what they are about. The quicker the whole Labour party is finished the better BCFC1911
  • Score: 21

1:33pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Robin of Loxley says...

They only do damage! wrote:
Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.
As are the Tories.

In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits).

Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.
[quote][p][bold]They only do damage![/bold] wrote: Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.[/p][/quote]As are the Tories. In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits). Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful. Robin of Loxley
  • Score: -7

2:21pm Thu 31 Jul 14

tinytoonster says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
They only do damage! wrote:
Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.
As are the Tories.

In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits).

Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.
codswallop as usual.
forcing the sick to work?
you mean "depressed" people who can't work but can go to spain on free pub crawls!
please don;t insult our intelligence by claiming minority case.
back on topic, well done.
labour=incompetence.
...
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]They only do damage![/bold] wrote: Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.[/p][/quote]As are the Tories. In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits). Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.[/p][/quote]codswallop as usual. forcing the sick to work? you mean "depressed" people who can't work but can go to spain on free pub crawls! please don;t insult our intelligence by claiming minority case. back on topic, well done. labour=incompetence. ... tinytoonster
  • Score: 9

6:32pm Thu 31 Jul 14

llos25 says...

tinytoonster wrote:
Robin of Loxley wrote:
They only do damage! wrote:
Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.
As are the Tories.

In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits).

Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.
codswallop as usual.
forcing the sick to work?
you mean "depressed" people who can't work but can go to spain on free pub crawls!
please don;t insult our intelligence by claiming minority case.
back on topic, well done.
labour=incompetence.

...
Its not coddswallop as you say, Atos wanted me to go back to work when I was lying in hospital bed after a cancer operation.My neighbour who has a very limited time to live was ordered back to work needless to say he could not go.

This could have happened at any time given the seat allocation it must have suited a few councillors at the time do not forget the council is just as corrupt as Bradford and that applies to all parties.
[quote][p][bold]tinytoonster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]They only do damage![/bold] wrote: Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.[/p][/quote]As are the Tories. In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits). Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.[/p][/quote]codswallop as usual. forcing the sick to work? you mean "depressed" people who can't work but can go to spain on free pub crawls! please don;t insult our intelligence by claiming minority case. back on topic, well done. labour=incompetence. ...[/p][/quote]Its not coddswallop as you say, Atos wanted me to go back to work when I was lying in hospital bed after a cancer operation.My neighbour who has a very limited time to live was ordered back to work needless to say he could not go. This could have happened at any time given the seat allocation it must have suited a few councillors at the time do not forget the council is just as corrupt as Bradford and that applies to all parties. llos25
  • Score: -3

7:43pm Thu 31 Jul 14

Alhaurinrhino says...

Robin of Loxley wrote:
They only do damage! wrote:
Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.
As are the Tories.

In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits).

Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.
It's survival of the fittest pal.

We've all had enough of bailing out the bone idle, malingering dossers.
[quote][p][bold]Robin of Loxley[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]They only do damage![/bold] wrote: Great news for democracy, Labour really are the dirty liars of politics!!!.[/p][/quote]As are the Tories. In fact they seem to very cruel too... (see all the problems that have occurred for genuine people in need of help and benefits). Forcing the sick to work. Absolutely disgraceful.[/p][/quote]It's survival of the fittest pal. We've all had enough of bailing out the bone idle, malingering dossers. Alhaurinrhino
  • Score: 5

1:15am Fri 1 Aug 14

Class_War says...

Reckless Tory spending cuts have rendered our Councils unable to function. They are looking after themselves and their Banksters chums, clinging to the wealth and leaving the country to rot and the people to starve. The most shameful episode in Britain's history.
Reckless Tory spending cuts have rendered our Councils unable to function. They are looking after themselves and their Banksters chums, clinging to the wealth and leaving the country to rot and the people to starve. The most shameful episode in Britain's history. Class_War
  • Score: 1

1:17am Fri 1 Aug 14

Class_War says...

We've all had enough of bailing out the filthy Rich and their Bankster mates. Get the Tories out in 2015.
We've all had enough of bailing out the filthy Rich and their Bankster mates. Get the Tories out in 2015. Class_War
  • Score: 1

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree