A MAN is fighting for his life in hospital after an altercation in a Bradford street in the early hours of yesterday morning.

The 40-year-old suffered head injuries during the incident in Great Horton and is said to be in a "critical" condition in Leeds General Infirmary.

Police are appealing for any witnesses who saw the incident, which they say started outside a house in Hollybank Road.

Officers were called to the scene at 12.13am, with neighbours reporting a significant police presence in the street by around 1am.

Police later confirmed that a 21 year-old man and a 16 year-old boy had been arrested on suspicion of assault.

When the Telegraph & Argus visited the scene yesterday morning, an area outside one of the houses on the street was cordoned off with police tape with two officers standing guard.

Crime Scene Investigation officers were also in attendance, and could be seen taking pictures of an area of pavement directly outside the house.

Residents said they were unsure of the nature of the assault, which police confirmed did not involve any occupants of the house that had been sealed off.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said: "About 1am, all of a sudden there were just loads of police.

"My brother was just getting home and he emailed me to say the road was covered with police as there'd been some fighting.

"I don't think it's anything to do with who lives in the house.

"They're a nice old couple and you rarely see them. One of them has only just retired and they're very quiet.

"We've been here for years, and you rarely get any trouble on this street, never. It just doesn't happen around here.

"It was obviously serious, and you don't like to see it on your doorstep."

Another neighbour said: "We were woken up because the dog was barking a lot, so my husband went to check.

"He came out and saw the police, but we don't really know what happened.

"We don't know the people who live in the house, but I think it's just an old couple.

"It's normally a really quiet street, and a really nice neighbourhood. It's not nice for something like this to happen, it's the last thing you expect."

Another resident said the occupants of the house were definitely not connected with the incident, saying they had been left "shocked" by the assault and unable to cross the crime scene to leave the property.

"There was a police presence and I was informed by an officer that a violent attack had taken place," he said.

"As a resident of over 40 years in the area, I can say that everyone is shocked and saddened by the night's events."

A police investigation into the incident remained ongoing last night.