Bradford Telegraph and ArgusBradford Council home care payment level to be probed (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email

Bradford Council home care payment level to be probed

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Councillor Jeanette Sunderland Councillor Jeanette Sunderland

Councillors have raised concerns over the amount of money being paid to companies for home care for elderly and vulnerable people in Bradford.

Bradford Council pays £12.50 for standard domiciliary care per hour regardless of the time of day, or day of the week.

Speaking at the Council’s Health and Social Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee yesterday, Councillor Jeanette Sunderland said the provider’s carers were only receiving the national minimum wage from this hourly figure.

Councillors vowed to investigate the matter further during the next 12 months at a future scrutiny meeting. They will also look to invite some of the 83 accredited care service providers the Council uses to a future meeting to discuss the matter.

Coun Sunderland said: “We only pay out £12.50, I want to look closely at how this money is spent.

“We owe it to people to look at the impact of this £12.50 decision and the service we are delivering.

“We should take it apart. I would quite like to talk to some of these businesses providing the services for us.

“They start to shave costs. It should cost around £15 an hour.”

Coun Michelle Swallow said: “I just don’t want a good service for the people of Bradford, I want the best service they can give. It’s more about the people and not just about the money.”

A report presented to the committee revealed 2,249 people have their domiciliary care provided by the Council, who paid £12.9 million over the 2013-14 financial year.

The report probed how home care is arranged with individuals who are eligible for the support.

A row erupted last summer over claims carers were given just 15 minutes to wash, cook and care for their patients during visits. A separate review will probe these ‘flying visits’.

In a bid to improve the efficiency of the service, the Council has grouped adjacent visits together to slash travel time between jobs for carers and reduce mileage. They also hope to ‘transform’ the home care service by giving the money to beneficiaries themselves to give them ‘more choice and more control’.

Comments (8)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

9:33am Fri 2 May 14

Grumpygirl says...

Care homes strip you of your money almost as quickly as they strip you of your dignity. It's the Tories way of making sure that, at the end of their lives, poor people hand over what little they own to the already rich, and die broke.

The Tories idea of wealth cascading down the generations only applies to the rich. They support patrimonial capitalism where everything is dominated not just by wealth, but by inherited wealth in which birth matters more than effort and talent.

The UK is a machine for making the already rich richer. The Tories are completely dedicated to unfairness and inequality. Cllr. Sunderland shouldn't be worried about the £12.50 an hour, she should be working to dismantle the Tory state and all its works. Why else did she come into politics?
Care homes strip you of your money almost as quickly as they strip you of your dignity. It's the Tories way of making sure that, at the end of their lives, poor people hand over what little they own to the already rich, and die broke. The Tories idea of wealth cascading down the generations only applies to the rich. They support patrimonial capitalism where everything is dominated not just by wealth, but by inherited wealth in which birth matters more than effort and talent. The UK is a machine for making the already rich richer. The Tories are completely dedicated to unfairness and inequality. Cllr. Sunderland shouldn't be worried about the £12.50 an hour, she should be working to dismantle the Tory state and all its works. Why else did she come into politics? Grumpygirl
  • Score: 2

10:55am Fri 2 May 14

The Hoffster says...

Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?
Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ? The Hoffster
  • Score: 1

11:24am Fri 2 May 14

Albion. says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?
Well, getting her name wrong wont make her grin.
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?[/p][/quote]Well, getting her name wrong wont make her grin. Albion.
  • Score: 2

12:31pm Fri 2 May 14

The Hoffster says...

Albion. wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?
Well, getting her name wrong wont make her grin.
Sunderland, Sutherland.. what's the difference ?

She'd still be frowning.
[quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?[/p][/quote]Well, getting her name wrong wont make her grin.[/p][/quote]Sunderland, Sutherland.. what's the difference ? She'd still be frowning. The Hoffster
  • Score: 2

4:01pm Fri 2 May 14

Yorkshire Lass says...

Grumpygirl wrote:
Care homes strip you of your money almost as quickly as they strip you of your dignity. It's the Tories way of making sure that, at the end of their lives, poor people hand over what little they own to the already rich, and die broke.

The Tories idea of wealth cascading down the generations only applies to the rich. They support patrimonial capitalism where everything is dominated not just by wealth, but by inherited wealth in which birth matters more than effort and talent.

The UK is a machine for making the already rich richer. The Tories are completely dedicated to unfairness and inequality. Cllr. Sunderland shouldn't be worried about the £12.50 an hour, she should be working to dismantle the Tory state and all its works. Why else did she come into politics?
and here endeth a party political broadcast with very little thought for the people who suffer through incompetent councils, who by the way, are not controlled by the Tory Government..
[quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Care homes strip you of your money almost as quickly as they strip you of your dignity. It's the Tories way of making sure that, at the end of their lives, poor people hand over what little they own to the already rich, and die broke. The Tories idea of wealth cascading down the generations only applies to the rich. They support patrimonial capitalism where everything is dominated not just by wealth, but by inherited wealth in which birth matters more than effort and talent. The UK is a machine for making the already rich richer. The Tories are completely dedicated to unfairness and inequality. Cllr. Sunderland shouldn't be worried about the £12.50 an hour, she should be working to dismantle the Tory state and all its works. Why else did she come into politics?[/p][/quote]and here endeth a party political broadcast with very little thought for the people who suffer through incompetent councils, who by the way, are not controlled by the Tory Government.. Yorkshire Lass
  • Score: 4

4:03pm Fri 2 May 14

Yorkshire Lass says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Albion. wrote:
The Hoffster wrote:
Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?
Well, getting her name wrong wont make her grin.
Sunderland, Sutherland.. what's the difference ?

She'd still be frowning.
That's the T & A's fault as it would appear that they only have one photograph. Same applied to Ian Greenwood when he led the council.
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Albion.[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?[/p][/quote]Well, getting her name wrong wont make her grin.[/p][/quote]Sunderland, Sutherland.. what's the difference ? She'd still be frowning.[/p][/quote]That's the T & A's fault as it would appear that they only have one photograph. Same applied to Ian Greenwood when he led the council. Yorkshire Lass
  • Score: 1

4:16pm Fri 2 May 14

pcmanners says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?
Would you smile if you had Nick Clegg for a leader?
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: Have we ever seen Councillor Sutherland smile ?[/p][/quote]Would you smile if you had Nick Clegg for a leader? pcmanners
  • Score: 5

11:07pm Fri 2 May 14

allinittogether says...

Yorkshire Lass wrote:
Grumpygirl wrote:
Care homes strip you of your money almost as quickly as they strip you of your dignity. It's the Tories way of making sure that, at the end of their lives, poor people hand over what little they own to the already rich, and die broke.

The Tories idea of wealth cascading down the generations only applies to the rich. They support patrimonial capitalism where everything is dominated not just by wealth, but by inherited wealth in which birth matters more than effort and talent.

The UK is a machine for making the already rich richer. The Tories are completely dedicated to unfairness and inequality. Cllr. Sunderland shouldn't be worried about the £12.50 an hour, she should be working to dismantle the Tory state and all its works. Why else did she come into politics?
and here endeth a party political broadcast with very little thought for the people who suffer through incompetent councils, who by the way, are not controlled by the Tory Government..
No but they are having to implement savage cuts imposed by the Tory government ably backed up by their LibDem lap dogs who happen to be Jeanette Sunderland's party.
[quote][p][bold]Yorkshire Lass[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Grumpygirl[/bold] wrote: Care homes strip you of your money almost as quickly as they strip you of your dignity. It's the Tories way of making sure that, at the end of their lives, poor people hand over what little they own to the already rich, and die broke. The Tories idea of wealth cascading down the generations only applies to the rich. They support patrimonial capitalism where everything is dominated not just by wealth, but by inherited wealth in which birth matters more than effort and talent. The UK is a machine for making the already rich richer. The Tories are completely dedicated to unfairness and inequality. Cllr. Sunderland shouldn't be worried about the £12.50 an hour, she should be working to dismantle the Tory state and all its works. Why else did she come into politics?[/p][/quote]and here endeth a party political broadcast with very little thought for the people who suffer through incompetent councils, who by the way, are not controlled by the Tory Government..[/p][/quote]No but they are having to implement savage cuts imposed by the Tory government ably backed up by their LibDem lap dogs who happen to be Jeanette Sunderland's party. allinittogether
  • Score: -1

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree