Bradford Telegraph and ArgusMore schools plan to expand as demand grows (From Bradford Telegraph and Argus)

Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting TANEWS to 80360, or email

More schools plan to expand as demand grows

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Coun Ralph Berry and headteacher Andrew Soutar with (from left) Emily Scott. Jack Barras-Stephenson, Robyn Roe and Alex Tomlinson at the opening of the Ashlands Primary School extension Coun Ralph Berry and headteacher Andrew Soutar with (from left) Emily Scott. Jack Barras-Stephenson, Robyn Roe and Alex Tomlinson at the opening of the Ashlands Primary School extension

Primary schools across the district are being expanded to meet the demand of rising numbers of school-age children.

Planning applications to expand two primary schools have been revealed by Bradford Council and another school opened its expanded facilities earlier this week.

A ceremony was held to mark the completion of work at Ashlands Primary School on Leeds Road, Ilkley.

Plans to expand Cullingworth and Brackenhill Primary Schools are currently going through the planning process.

Last year, Bradford Council announced plans for expansion projects in several primary schools to make space for the hundreds of extra children expected to reach school age in the near future. With limited funds to build new schools, the council decided instead to expand its existing schools.

In March, the Government announced Bradford would get £15.3m between 2013 and 2015 as part of an allowance which could be used on new schools or expanding existing ones.

Between 2015 and 2017, it will get an £18.9m share of the allowance, a £3.6m rise on the previous two years.

Cullingworth school, on New School Lane, will see a rise in pupils from 210 to 315 once its expansion is completed, and the planning application is for three classrooms, two group rooms, cloakrooms and toilets. Existing rooms in the building will also be expanded.

Brackenhill Primary School on Dracup Road, off Great Horton Road, has already been expanded, with new classrooms opening in 2012. The school is now ready for a further expansion, including three new classrooms.

Decisions on both applications are expected in March.

Ashlands has recently seen the construction of four additional classrooms, staff accommodation and improvements to parking. Coun Ralph Berry, executive member for children and young people’s services at Bradford Council opened the expanded facilities on Wednesday.

Dr Andrew Soutar, headteacher, said: “During the design development and throughout the works on site the school has been closely involved in the decision- making process and consulted about all aspects of the project.

“Pupils were involved in some activities including a safety presentation during school assembly and also a ‘digger day’ where all the pupils got the opportunity to sit in a digger and move the controls.”

Coun Berry said: “This is another example of the great refurbishment and building work which is happening in many of the district’s primary schools.”

Comments (5)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

10:06am Fri 24 Jan 14

Alhaurinrhino says...

Limit family allowance to two children and watch the rise in population fall off. There's a certain part of "the community" that breed like rabbits all because the government pays.
Limit family allowance to two children and watch the rise in population fall off. There's a certain part of "the community" that breed like rabbits all because the government pays. Alhaurinrhino
  • Score: 5

10:53am Fri 24 Jan 14

The Hoffster says...

Alhaurinrhino wrote:
Limit family allowance to two children and watch the rise in population fall off. There's a certain part of "the community" that breed like rabbits all because the government pays.
This 'community' you're referring to: is it one that resides in the many (BNP/EDL) sh!tholes we have in the city ? - aka 'council estates'?

Where the female feral chavs knock up at least 4 kids (and all by different blokes), and then get free housing and benefits to boot?

Or am I mistaken ?
[quote][p][bold]Alhaurinrhino[/bold] wrote: Limit family allowance to two children and watch the rise in population fall off. There's a certain part of "the community" that breed like rabbits all because the government pays.[/p][/quote]This 'community' you're referring to: is it one that resides in the many (BNP/EDL) sh!tholes we have in the city ? - aka 'council estates'? Where the female feral chavs knock up at least 4 kids (and all by different blokes), and then get free housing and benefits to boot? Or am I mistaken ? The Hoffster
  • Score: 2

12:44pm Fri 24 Jan 14

realitystrikesagain says...

I think you'll find there is a high birth rate in all communities (Asian, white English and Eastern European) However, there is an obvious and distinct difference in the impact these high birth rates have on the wider community.

You have generally aspiring Asians who work their socks off and whilst the odd one may go astray, most do incredibly well both academically and financially thereby making a positive contribution to society

You have East Europeans who despite the language barrier will do what they can to make ends meet. Will work for peanuts and are incredibly driven. Given time, they will make a success of themselves

You will then come across as mentioned before, white English no hopes who breed like pigs, live with no hope. Blame the first thing that moves for their own failings. Have lots of kids that end up in schools whilst not being urged to improve themselves by careless parents. Then end up on job seekers allowance. Live on rent in properties generally owned by Asians. Burden the entire country with having to pay towards their treatment as a result of alcohol and drug abuse and then have the cheek to say 'we don't get nothing from the state anymore.

As for crime figures, I guess they've dropped as drugs and alcohol are cheaper to buy so the job seekers allowance can stretch the full week. No need to burgle to feed the habbits anymore I guess.
I think you'll find there is a high birth rate in all communities (Asian, white English and Eastern European) However, there is an obvious and distinct difference in the impact these high birth rates have on the wider community. You have generally aspiring Asians who work their socks off and whilst the odd one may go astray, most do incredibly well both academically and financially thereby making a positive contribution to society You have East Europeans who despite the language barrier will do what they can to make ends meet. Will work for peanuts and are incredibly driven. Given time, they will make a success of themselves You will then come across as mentioned before, white English no hopes who breed like pigs, live with no hope. Blame the first thing that moves for their own failings. Have lots of kids that end up in schools whilst not being urged to improve themselves by careless parents. Then end up on job seekers allowance. Live on rent in properties generally owned by Asians. Burden the entire country with having to pay towards their treatment as a result of alcohol and drug abuse and then have the cheek to say 'we don't get nothing from the state anymore. As for crime figures, I guess they've dropped as drugs and alcohol are cheaper to buy so the job seekers allowance can stretch the full week. No need to burgle to feed the habbits anymore I guess. realitystrikesagain
  • Score: 0

12:55pm Fri 24 Jan 14

Bone_idle18 says...

The Hoffster wrote:
Alhaurinrhino wrote:
Limit family allowance to two children and watch the rise in population fall off. There's a certain part of "the community" that breed like rabbits all because the government pays.
This 'community' you're referring to: is it one that resides in the many (BNP/EDL) sh!tholes we have in the city ? - aka 'council estates'?

Where the female feral chavs knock up at least 4 kids (and all by different blokes), and then get free housing and benefits to boot?

Or am I mistaken ?
You're wrong on so many levels it's an embarrassment. Maybe looking at some facts might help you see the truth :)

http://www.ethnicity
.ac.uk/themes/famili
es.html
[quote][p][bold]The Hoffster[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Alhaurinrhino[/bold] wrote: Limit family allowance to two children and watch the rise in population fall off. There's a certain part of "the community" that breed like rabbits all because the government pays.[/p][/quote]This 'community' you're referring to: is it one that resides in the many (BNP/EDL) sh!tholes we have in the city ? - aka 'council estates'? Where the female feral chavs knock up at least 4 kids (and all by different blokes), and then get free housing and benefits to boot? Or am I mistaken ?[/p][/quote]You're wrong on so many levels it's an embarrassment. Maybe looking at some facts might help you see the truth :) http://www.ethnicity .ac.uk/themes/famili es.html Bone_idle18
  • Score: -1

3:21pm Fri 24 Jan 14

alive and awake says...

stop child allowance altogether, and increase income tax allowance, simples
stop child allowance altogether, and increase income tax allowance, simples alive and awake
  • Score: 5

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree