ROUTE One Rovers’ maiden West Riding County Cup campaign ended in heartbreak on Tuesday night.

The Bradford side are spending their first season in the semi-professional ranks, after moving up from amateur level, meaning they were eligible to play in the competition for the first time.

The first-round draw handed them an away game against Knaresborough Town and it could not have started worse, Jack Carr putting the hosts in front only six minutes in.

But Route One hit back, and a superb strike from outside of the box from Anees Younis following a well-worked corner saw them level on the quarter-hour mark.

Lewis Stephens lobbed the ball over Rovers keeper Hagie Damba early in the second half to put Knaresborough back in front.

But the visitors equalised with 20 minutes left when Musa Jallow tapped home a square ball.

And when Knaresborough had George Thewlis sent off for a late tackle moments later, Route One were favourites to go on and claim victory.

But after Zak Khan missed a sitter for the Bradfordians, they then conceded a last-gasp penalty for a foul on Jack Emmett.

The nerveless Ewan Gregson stepped up to take and ensured a 3-2 for his side by converting from 12 yards.

Silsden also bowed out of the competition on Tuesday night, losing 7-6 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at Garforth Town.

Albion Sports missed out on the chance to go second in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division after conceding late on in a 2-2 draw at Bottesford Town.

Eivind Johnsen gave the Bradford side an early lead before Joshua Fraiwald levelled the scores midway through the second half.

A Kamron Basi red card put Albion on the back foot, but they went in front through Fernando Moke after 80 minutes, only for Bottesford’s Joe Simpson to equalise in injury-time.

Mid-table Brighouse Town had an awful night in the Northern Premier League East Division, losing 3-0 at Bridlington Town, and going down to nine men following an altercation between team-mates Jack Dando and Josh Grant just after the half-time whistle.

In the NPL Premier Division, new Guiseley manager Andy Welsh got off to a great start, Gabriel Johnson scoring a hat-trick in his side’s 4-2 home win over Marine at Nethermoor.

Finally, former Bantams striker Clayton Donaldson scored Farsley Celtic’s goal in their 1-1 draw at Warrington Town in National League North.

Donaldson brought in some additional attacking threat from his old side yesterday, with City youngster Dylan Youmbi joining the Celts on an initial month’s loan.