WENSLEYDALE will be glad to see the back of Kristian Bealey-Kay.

The 18-year-old Keighley winger scored two tries against them at Leyburn in September and doubled that tally in the return Yorkshire Two fixture at Rose Cottage, as the league-leading hosts returned to action after the Christmas break with a 31-10 win.

The former South Craven School pupil said after his four-try blitz: “I am on to 11 tries for the season, which I never thought that I would get to in my debut season at first-team level.

“My first try here I probably shouldn’t have scored as it was on the wrong wing (the right) and I plucked it out of somebody’s hands, but I was there and it worked.

“Quick hands got me another try, but it is just a matter of playing for the team.”

As for featuring in Keighley’s first XV, Bealey-Kay admitted: “It is a new experience but it is pretty good, and the back three, which can be Alfie Seeley, myself, Jack Atkinson or Alan Ebbrell, work really well together.

“We talk it through in a match and if someone tells me to move, I will move and vice-versa.

“But head coach Danny McGee has told me that he likes my aggression and just to keep doing what I am doing.”

After two draws before Christmas, Keighley returned to winning ways against the men in black and gold, putting the leaders on 66 points, which is six points more than second-placed Wetherby, who have also played 15 times.

Hullensians are seven points adrift in third and Wheatley Hills are fourth with 45 points, albeit with two games in hand, but Bealey-Kay is trying not to let his thoughts drift too much towards next season and a potential return to Yorkshire One.

“We are just thinking about this season and game after game,” admitted the teenage plumber.

“But I am confident that we will go up, and our confidence has sky-rocketed after this win following those two draws.”

Wensleydale are no mugs, but found themselves 17-0 behind after 22 minutes against Keighley.

It was the hosts who had to show a solid defence initially, however, before a pattern of home superiority was established.

Full-back Seeley went on a weaving run into the 22 in the third minute, and three minutes later prop Sam Booker’s punchy drive set up the position for Bealey-Kay's first try, with the teenager on centre Adam Horsfall’s shoulder to score on his opposite wing.

Wensleydale winger Jack Nichols had an opening 20 minutes to forget, twice knocking on Keighley kicks, and quick hands put Bealey-Kay over on the left in the 17th minute, with fly-half Alex Brown again missing the testing conversion.

Five minutes later, the opportunist Brown intercepted to go over himself and add the extras, but the visitors then showed up in attack again.

Flanker Toby Newton and tall full-back Fergus Chapman did well before fly-half Jack Reynard plunged over in the 28th minute, adding the conversion himself.

However, Bealey-Kay completed his hat-trick try two minutes before half-time, which Brown again improved to make it 24-5.

Wensleydale’s defence was solid at the start of the second half, but Bealey-Kay then set the home supporters into raptures with a fourth try 11 minutes in, with Brown converting once more.

Centre Sean Kelly continued to be a powerful presence for Keighley and was close to the line himself six minutes from time when his pass to the left, intended for Bealey-Kay, was intercepted by Wensleydale winger James Ashford inches from the line.

As the contest became fiery towards the end of the match, referee Chris Green opted to keep his cards in his pocket, and Wensleydale scored a second try in the 77th minute through centre Luke McGhee to at least give themselves a late consolation.