AN inquest has been opened after a Bradford man died in a hit-and-run crash on a major road. 

Police said Mohammed Sadiq was involved in a fail-to-stop collision with a black Volkswagen Golf on Great Horton Road, Bradford, at lunchtime on December 13.

The 63-year-old died from his injuries in hospital on December 27.

Officers said a 25-year-old man was arrested at a local police station a short while after the incident.

He was subsequently bailed pending further enquiries.

An inquest into Mr Sadiq's death was opened at Bradford Coroners' Court this morning.

During the brief hearing, the court was told Mr Sadiq, who was born in Pakistan, was single.

He died at Leeds General Infirmary (LGI). 

Assistant coroner Angela Brocklehurst said she was awaiting further reports on the case and adjourned the inquest to a later date.

At the end of last year, Mr Sadiq's family paid tribute to him via the Telegraph & Argus.

Manzoor Ghani said: "He was a really nice, humble person who kept himself to himself.

"He was quiet.

"He did his own thing and got on with his life.

"He spent his time going into the city centre and enjoyed the markets."

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Police set up a cordon in Great Horton Road after the incident, which later proved to be fatal Police set up a cordon in Great Horton Road after the incident, which later proved to be fatal (Image: Newsquest)

After the crash, a section of Great Horton Road, from Siddique Pharmacy to Mahmoods, was closed in both directions for most of the afternoon.

When the Telegraph & Argus visited the scene, several police officers and paramedics were seen.

Three First buses and a school bus were left stranded, along with other vehicles, for hours while investigation work took place.

One resident described the incident as "shocking".

Mr Ghani said: "He was on a life support machine in the LGI.

"After about a week, it looked like he was getting better.

"He was breathing on his own even though the machines were still there.

"Overnight on the day he passed away, his health just deteriorated."

The majority of Mr Sadiq's working life was spent at Richmond Mill, off Listerhills Road.

Upon the closure of the mill, he gained a job in the café at Tesco on Great Horton Road when it first opened.

Mr Ghani added: "They all loved him at Tesco.

"The customers also knew him really well."

Officers from West Yorkshire Police are continuing the investigate the collision. 

Anyone with information should call 101, quoting log 649 of December 13.