SAM Stubbs suffered a fractured skull against Doncaster earlier this month.

Stubbs was initially ruled out with concussion protocols after taking an elbow in the head in a clash with Harrison Biggins – that ridiculously saw the City man booked.

But it was then diagnosed that the defender has a small fracture above his eye.

He went to see another specialist last night for a second opinion as City decide what to do next.

Graham Alexander said: “We’re waiting to hear whether he can continue to play, whether he needs any surgery or he has to wear a mask, which players have done.

“It’s a bit of an unknown situation at the moment. We’re just trying to get to the bottom of it, for the sake of Sam more than anything.

“We don’t want to risk anyone’s health.

“It was from that challenge against Doncaster which, amazingly, he got booked for at the time. Unfortunately, the injury was the other way round.”

Injuries continue to frustrate the City boss, who will check on Matty Platt’s condition after training tomorrow to see if he is ready to be in contention to start at Harrogate.

Alex Gilliead also went for a scan yesterday on the calf injury that forced him off early against Notts County on Tuesday night.

Alexander added: “We’ve been continually losing players since we got here with Jamie Walker, Alex Pattison, Jake Young coming back and then losing him, Tyreik Wright, Sam Stubbs and Ash Taylor.

“There have been a lot of senior and recognised players out.

“Contact injuries happen all the time. It’s a physical game and they are par for the course.

“Stubbsy got it from putting his body on the line and trying to win the ball.

“There are things like muscle injuries where I think the players can help themselves to be better.”

Taylor’s calf injury will continue to keep him out for a bit longer.

“He’s getting a bit closer but we still haven’t seen him on the grass with us,” said Alexander.

“I still think he could be a few weeks yet. It’s been a little while now.

“He tried it a couple weeks after getting the injury. He thought he could train again but it just got worse.

“That probably set him back a little bit, so it maybe two to three weeks.”