WHO better than “one of their own” to put the smiles back on the faces of City fans after the March misery.

The Bantams put their wretched four-game losing streak to bed with the type of performance that we have been crying out for in recent Valley Parade outings.

At the forefront was Calum Kavanagh, unleashing the pent-up frustration of not kicking a ball with Republic of Ireland under-21s and, of course, Bobby Pointon.

The local lad finally got his chance from the start and how he seized it to lift the clouds that had been gathering over the club.

One win doesn’t suddenly change everything but, like Stefan Rupp’s open letter the day before, it is a start.

The protest outside the ground still went ahead before kick-off as a reminder that fans demand actions now to go with the owner’s promises about getting things done.

The group sung for Rupp and Ryan Sparks to go, although someone let them down badly by smashing the glass door into reception.

On the pitch, Graham Alexander made four changes from the Harrogate horror show with Andy Cook and Kevin McDonald absent completely after suffering knocks.

Kavanagh returned from international duty to feature while Pointon was handed a first start for two months dating back to the draw at Colchester.

Pointon and Jamie Walker were playing as a two in front of Richie Smallwood and behind the front pair of Kavanagh and Tyler Smith.

Joe Yarney flicked an early corner wide for Tranmere before Pointon raced into the box but couldn’t get a shot off on his weaker right foot.

City had a scare on seven minutes as Luke Norris got in behind Daniel Oyegoke but hurried his effort past the post.

Smallwood is yet to score this season but was inches away from breaking his duck with a 15th-minute free-kick that clipped the Tranmere bar.

The crowd were starting to come into it as City gained in confidence with Pointon and Kavanagh both prominent.

Tranmere keeper Luke McGee, a Bantams loanee under Gary Bowyer, then pulled off an excellent block with his legs after Jamie Walker swept Daniel Oyegoke’s low cross towards goal.

Smith then flicked over an inviting ball from Lewis Richards as City hunted that elusive breakthrough.

Brad Halliday went off for running repairs after taking a kick. But he returned in the nick of time to blind-side Kieron Morris as the Tranmere winger lined up a shot inside the box.

City enjoyed a lucky escape when Ciaran Kelly kicked thin air trying to clear Harvey Saunders’ goal-bound backheel – and Sam Walker reacted quick enough to smother it on the line.

McGee was called into action to tip over Smith’s looping header from Smallwood’s free-kick as half-time approached.

But it made a welcome change to go in level at the break after the recent mismatches – and without the accompaniment of boos from the stands.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: A shrug from Bobby Pointon after his emphatic finishA shrug from Bobby Pointon after his emphatic finish (Image: Thomas Gadd)

The second half began uncomfortably for McGee as his attempted clearance pinged straight up in the air off Smith and then Richards went close with a right-foot stab just wide.

Pointon was clearly enjoying himself and was a whisker away from that coveted first goal in front the Kop. Cutting in from the right, his low drive beat the diving McGee but pinged back off the post.

Tranmere responded with Walker tipping Saunders’ snap-shot over the bar. As the game continued to open up, Smith had the ball in the net but the offside flag cut short his celebrations.

But there was no denying City second time around when the hard-working Kavanagh got his reward on 64 minutes.

Richards whipped another low ball towards the near post where the Irishman was on hand to divert it past McGee. The relief around the place was evident.

And the scenes got even better five minutes later with a second goal from “one of our own”.

Pointon crowned his return to action with a thumping finish past McGee from Kavanagh’s assist – and suddenly the clouds of the last few games had lifted.

The youngster was taken off soon after to a richly-deserved standing ovation.

City’s tails were up as they chased a third. Smith thought he had got it from Halliday’s inviting cross but McGee and a defender somehow stopped his touch on the line.