THE League Two table continues to make an uncomfortable read for the Bantams after their winless run stretched to a sixth game.

Brad Halliday’s second goal since Christmas lifted the mood but City have picked up just four points from the 18 available in that time.

The last two were against teams in the bottom five - the play-offs are certainly not looking any closer and there were a smattering of boos at the final whistle.

It had been 387 days since Tyreik Wright had last put on a City shirt against the same opponents before his move to Plymouth in last year’s window. He had played just 13 games in that time.

Wright got 65 minutes under his belt in a generally quiet return to the club where he enjoyed his best football. He did have one big moment but fluffed the chance of that elusive first goal in front of the Kop.

Wright was one of two changes from City’s last outing 10 days earlier at Colchester. Clarke Oduor also came back in as Bobby Pointon and Harry Chapman dropped to the bench.

Keeper Sam Walker made his first home appearance after his debut in Essex.

Salford’s victory at Crawley in their previous game was their first win since October as new boss Karl Robinson started to get a tune out of a team that had lost its way under Neil Wood.

The last time Robinson had stood on a West Yorkshire touchline was in Leeds’ Premier League swansong against Tottenham during his short stint as number two to Sam Allardyce at Elland Road.

Mick Doyle and the ground staff had done well to get the game on given the back-to-back storms buffeting Bradford. But the surface was naturally very soft in areas and players needed to proceed with caution.

One-time City target Conor McAleny fired a rising drive high and wide from Salford’s opening attack but the home side should have scored from their response.

Oduor’s teasing ball into the mix was begging to be finished but Sam Stubbs, still lingering from a previous long throw, could not get a decisive touch past keeper Alex Cairns.

It was an open start to the game as both teams looked to get forward quickly.

None more so than Salford striker Junior Luamba, whose pace was causing the City defence early issues.

Luamba created the opening goal on 14 minutes, his burst taking him into the box where his angled effort was beaten out by Walker.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Brad Halliday and Andy Cook celebrate City's equaliserBrad Halliday and Andy Cook celebrate City's equaliser (Image: Thomas Gadd.)

The rebound carried beyond the edge of the area where it was met emphatically by Ryan Watson, whose first-time finish flew home with interest.

He then angered the Kop by milking the celebration under the noses of the Kop.

But any Salford smirks were knocked off faces six minutes later as City responded with a rebound goal of their own.

Alex Gilliead created it with a powerful run and shot from 20 yards that beat Cairns and smacked the inside of the post – with Halliday in support to steer the rebound into the empty net.

It had been fairly watchable up to that point and Salford threatened again as 16-goal Matt Smith got on the end of Watson’s deep cross. But he wastefully steered wide of the post.

The momentum died after a sizeable stoppage for Luke Bolton’s head injury – with the crowd unhappy that ref Scott Oldham allowed Salford to continue going forward before deciding to blow.

Wright’s big chance arrived at the start of the second half.

Spinning sharply away from his man on Gilliead’s dink through, he dragged the shot on the turn past the far post with Cairns beaten.

Halliday was not far off a second goal as Oduor latched onto Andy Cook’s flick round the corner. The low cross was well defended as the City number two tried to swoop.

Wright went off to a generous ovation midway through the half – clearly a planned exit in his first league start since September as Chapman took over.

City had shut down Salford’s threat in behind but were nearly caught out from Bolton’s side-footed cross shot. It felt like slow motion as the ball trundled inches wide.

Chapman went close at the other end from Oduor’s pass but was denied at the near post.

But there was a nervous moment for City when Bolton delivered an inviting ball into the box that was somehow missed by two white shirts.

City escaped on that occasion but were unable to conjure up a second goal in the closing minutes as the wait for the next win since Doncaster lingers.

The reaction from some as the final whistle blew highlighted the bubbling undercurrent of frustration.