A POINT gained or two lost? That was the City conundrum as the final whistle brought a frantic tussle at Edgeley Park to an end.

On the balance of play, Stockport will feel they should have forced through their first win of the season.

But the Bantams will look back on Andy Cook’s late missed penalty within a minute of Stockport’s equaliser and think ‘if only’.

While man of the moment Alex Pattison continues his golden touch in front of goal - scoring for a third straight game - last season’s League Two golden boot currently can’t buy one.

The away fans picked up on his despondent mood by serenading Cook at the finish. He will need picking up until he gets that elusive first of the season.

Tyler Smith had got the nod for his first City start after three previous outings from the bench.

He had looked promising when coming on early for the injured Jamie Walker against Colchester and kept the shirt with the Scot resting his inflamed left ankle.

That was the only change from the side that recorded the first league win of the season as Alex Gilliead and Daniel Oyegoke continued as wing-backs.

Smith’s place on the bench was taken by youngster Bobby Pointon, who was promoted to the senior matchday 18 for the first time after catching the eye in pre-season.

Only four of the City 11 had started the goalless draw at Edgeley Park seven months earlier.

There were few chances in that physical encounter and the early exchanges suggested it could be another tightly-contested evening.

But Harry Lewis quickly reaffirmed that the weekend blunder for Colchester’s goal was out of his mind with an important smother on the line after Will Collar had met Macauley Southam-Hales’s cross with a downward header.

That lifted Stockport who took a grip on proceedings. Matty Platt made an important block int eh box from Connor Evans before Louie Barry slipped away from Sam Stubbs and rolled a menacing ball through the six-yard box.

As City continued to be stretched at the back, Paddy Madden tried to catch out Lewis with a cheeky lob with the outside of his boot that had the keeper back-tracking.

Alex Gilliead was booked for a trip on Southam-Hales before Collar was also carded, allowing City a chance to ease the pressure. Cook got a looping header on Richie Smallwood’s free-kick straight at the keeper.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Andy Cook missed a late penalty and had other chances Andy Cook missed a late penalty and had other chances (Image: Tom Pearson)

Stockport appeared to be asking most of the questions but City were actually shading the possession stats.

And Cook threatened again after Smith had worked hard to win a corner on the break, flashing a header on to the roof of the net from Smallwood’s delivery.

Having come through that testing spell unscathed, the visitors were growing into it and Smith tested Ben Hinchliffe with a low drive from outside the box.

City had a big chance to break the deadlock on 40 minutes as Ciaran Kelly’s cross was right on the button for Cook - who glanced the header wide.

It was the sort of opportunity that would have had the number nine licking his lips but his wait for a first goal of the season went on.

There were only two added minutes at the end of the half - during which Ibou Touray rapped a thumping effort wide.

Liam Ridehalgh replaced Alex Gilliead at the break before City grabbed the lead two minutes in.

Smallwood won the ball high up from a loose Stockport pass, fed Cook down the right and his low cross was gleefully converted by Pattison. It was a great advert for the high-energy press.

The 1,300-strong travelling fans went wild but the hosts almost silenced the cheers straight away. The elusive Southam-Hayes whipped in another teasing cross that bounced off Madden’s knees and Lewis just managed to hold on before the ball crossed the line.

Stockport threw on striker Isaac Olaofe and were instantly screaming for a penalty as he went down under pressure from Platt.

Most of Stockport’s danger had involved Southam-Hales and City were not too upset to see him go off. In his place came former Bantams winger Ollie Crankshaw.

Kevin McDonald replaced Clarke Oduor and put his backside in the line of duty to block a blast by Madden.

But Stockport’s pressure paid off on 80 minutes as Olaofe forced home the loose ball as City failed to deal with a corner.

City bounced straight back up the other end where Pattison was hauled down by Touray. But Hinchliffe guessed right to save Cook’s penalty.

Cook had another chance in stoppage time as Osadebe won the ball and the deflection sent him clear with only Hinchliffe to beat.

The stage was surely set for him to steal the headlines but a heavy touch allowed the keeper to clear.

The drama had not ended with Crankshaw, of all people, almost snatching a Stockport with virtually the last kick.