OLD Grovians got back to winning ways with a close 20-14 home win over West Park Leeds in Yorkshire Two.

The opening exchanges witnessed the visitors score on their first visit to the Grovians half, when a Park fly half chipped over the defence for one of the centres to catch the bouncing ball to score under the posts.

On 30 minutes, the hosts were forced into a double change when both James Johnstone and Max Nesbit came off with cuts. Luckily they were fit to return later in the second half.

On the stroke of half-time, Grovians drove to the West Park line about a dozen times only for a knock on to occur.

Against the run of play, the away side amazingly increased their lead with another converted try, after a break down the left.

During the break, the referee was treated for a calf strain and looked in real problems.

Grovians now started the second half with the wind at their backs and scored immediately as prop Will Robinson was driven over the line after Jack Popely had stolen ball from a Leeds scrum. Ben Brown added the conversion.

As Grovians continued to dominate, Brown missed two penalty attempts before finally succeeding in the 65th minute, from 20 metres in front of the posts.

With 10 minutes remaining, Nesbit and Poasa Suli drove to the line, helping John Neal dive over to give his side a narrow lead.

After converting that try, Brown increased his team’s advantage with a late penalty.

Credit to the referee, who bravely hobbled through the second half and collapsed in a heap at the final whistle.

Coach Andy Hinchliffe was happy after the game, saying: “It was a very pleasing result today and a much improved performance but there are still too many unforced errors.

“The match was dominated by the strong wind, with all 34 points scored at the river end.

“Our lineout functioned well after a back to basics session from Stuart (Campbell) on Thursday night, which was implemented successfully by the players.

“As always, West Park are a well-coached team with skilful and mobile forwards and some strong fast backs. Discipline probably let them down, although we did get the rub of the green from the official, who did well to finish the game.

“Another tough game next, away at Wath, who have turned their season around.”