CLECKHEATON preserved their status in North One East with a six-try 49-26 victory over Malton and Norton at a windswept Moorend.

Cleck made two changes, centre Ollie Depledge returned after injury and Brad Marsden resumed at flanker with Mike Swetman and Tom Austin dropping to the bench.

The visitors opened the scoring on four minutes after a catch-and-drive at a line-out was moved some 20 metres and hooker Ben Thrower was on hand to score his second try of the season. Dale Breakwell added the goal 7-0.

Cleckheaton looked to have doubled the lead, but a Malton hand knocked on.

From the scrum five metres out, Jack Seddon and Jack Bickerdike combined for Matt Piper to cross for his eighth try of the season. Breakwell added another goal for a 14-0 lead after just eight minutes.

Malton bounced back with a try of their own after a tap penalty and some indifferent tackling saw full back Bell cross under the posts, Inman converted for 14-7.

Bradley Marsden, Joey Carley and Seddon were prominent in securing any loose ball and when Piper and Breakwell put Depledge into space he powered across the line for an unconverted try 19-7 on 22 minutes.

Moments later, Breakwell failed to clear to touch when his kick was charged down and centre Foan touched down with Inman adding the goal 19-14.

Breakwell then added two routine penalty goals to steady Cleck nerves to make the score 25-14.

Cleck were monopolising possession, but a swift break out of defence saw Foan hauled down by Booth but the ball found it's way into the hands of No 8 Sam Triffit, who scored a converted try. This was before yet another Breakwell penalty took the half time score out to 28-21.

Cleck extended their lead early in the second half when the impressive Dale Breakwell popped a short pass to skipper Piper, who drove over for his second try of the game. Breakwell added the goal 35-21.

It didn't take long for the next score, a catch-and-drive set-up with Marsden securing the ball before the backs added a bit of momentum and Breakwell burrowed his way over the try line for his first try for the club. He converted his score and Cleck led 42-21. The tries kept on coming. Breakwell floated a cross-kick to the right wing, Booth leapt above the defence and gathered the ball on the full before gleefully touching down under the posts for his 16th try of the season. The kick was good and Cleck led 49-21 on 67 minutes.

Malton got their fourth and bonus-point try on 71 minutes after the Cleck defence repelled several phases, but eventually the ball got to prop Hughes, who crossed the line for the try.

Jamie Rounthwaite was sin binned on 74 minutes, but Cleck couldn't take further advantage and the referee blew for time.

The win preserved Cleckheaton status as a Level Six club, finishing the season in 11th place with nine wins from 26 games on 58 points.