National League Two North: Sheffield 12 Otley 17

OTLEY all but ended Sheffield's stay in National League Two North after just one season with this victory at Abbeydale.

While Otley were again dominant in the scrum, getting a penalty at the first scum, it was Sheffield who opened the scoring after five minutes.

Fergus Wood received the ball high in Otley's half and made his way through to the posts, giving former Otley stalwart Stephen Depledge an easy conversion.

Otley got on the scoreboard after 17 minutes, however, when the hosts were again penalised at the scrum for going up, with Joe Rowntree landing the kick.

Six minutes later though, Jonathan France went over after Otley had conceded a penalty that was put into the corner, with Sheffield being able to drive their way over, although the conversion was missed.

Just before the half-hour, a loose ball was picked up Paul Petchey just outside the visitors' 22, and he then ran almost the length of the field to score under the posts, for Rowntree to convert, leaving Otley trailing 12-10 at half-time.

The visitors continued in the second half where they had left off.

Winger Alex Beaumont was tackled into the corner before Sheffield were once more penalised.

From the line-out, Brett Mitchell took the ball and Ben Smith looped a long pass to Beaumont, who ran around the Sheffield defence to score in the opposite corner three minutes in, Rowntree continuing his 100 per cent success rate to extend Otley's lead.

The visitors had further chances, such as when Tom Hodson kicked through, but Sheffield were able to ground the ball in the dead-ball area.

Otley nearly got the ball back from a quick, short tap to restart the game, but exuberance saw them give away a penalty instead.

Realising that time was running out, Sheffield gave it one last go.

With some five minutes to go, they got a penalty in Otley's 22 and kicked for touch.

A kick at goal may have been a better option for the hosts, however, and while Otley were again penalised, luckily the second line-out was not straight.

Good defence by Otley then frustrated the hosts, who will probably feel they could have got more out of the game, but Otley shielded the ball until time was up, at which point Rowntree kicked the ball into touch.