QUEENSBURY gave unbeaten Division Two Central leaders Woodhouse Warriors their toughest Pennine League challenge of the season before falling to a gallant 32-20 home defeat at Asa Briggs.

The Bradford side, who had first use of the slope, soon found themselves under the cosh as the Warriors flashed the ball from flank to flank with aplomb.

Their skilful approach soon gained reward as centre Luke Jessop crossed on the overlap, leaving loose forward Jamie Calvert to kick the extra points.

Woodhouse benefited from a huge piece of luck when a high bomb got caught in the wind, allowing three-quarter Matt Harding a simple touchdown.

But Queensbury made an impressive reply when half-back Callum Murgatroyd took on three defenders to cross at the side of the posts, followed by a Michael Boocock conversion which narrowed the gap to 10-6.

The classy visitors were stung into retaliation and repeated a succession of sharp passes to send Jessop galloping over for his second try, before Calvert was sent to the sin-bin after an illegal lift in the tackle on home full back Chris Hanson.

The extra man took its toll when Murgatroyd spotted a lack of numbers on the blind side to offload to wingman Stuart Rubery, who bravely dived over in the corner bang on the half-time whistle to put Queensbury well in the hunt at just 14-10 behind.

The blue and whites made a dream start to the second stanza when prop Aaron Moore, lingering in the back line, used his bulk to power over for the equaliser.

The Warriors were fortunate to restore their lead when giant second-row forward Liam Plumtree barged his way to the chalk from a suspicious-looking forward pass.

But there was no doubt regarding his brace when he skittled four defenders from his path with another devastating trot to the whitewash, both of which were converted.

With the tackles flying in thick and fast, it all got too much for Queensbury packman Chris Raftery and Warriors hooker Ayden Webster as exchanged a barrage of punches which resulted in red cards.

The game took a more welcome twist for the hosts when second-row forward Jack Evison spun out of two tackles to reduce the arrears to six points with ten minutes to go.

The game was finally put to bed when Calvert crossed and added the extras to ensure the mightily relieved visitors went home to Leeds with the spoils.