OTHER than struggling Bradford (Park Avenue), who lost 5-0 at high-flying Hyde United in the Northern Premier League Premier Division, only Route One Rovers and Liversedge saw their games survive on Saturday, with frozen pitches galore elsewhere.

Both sides had lengthy away trips, with Bradford side Route One heading down to Merseyside to face South Liverpool in the North West Counties Football League First Division North, and Sedge heading up to Teesside to take on Stockton Town in the NPL East Division.

Route One’s game was the only one to go ahead in the whole division, and they knew a win would take them back into the play-offs and up to third.

But South Liverpool are gunning for promotion too, and it was they who claimed the spoils with a 2-1 home win.

The Merseysiders were the dominant side early on, yet it was Route One who had the first good chance when Jonathan Mwembie headed Muhammad Arshad’s corner just over the crossbar.

And when their second chance of the afternoon came, the Bradford side gobbled it up.

Arshad’s corner was cleverly left by Anees Younis, allowing Zak Khan to slot the ball past South Liverpool keeper Lucas Allan and into the bottom corner.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Route One (grey) took an early lead at South Liverpool, but the Merseysiders soon hit back.Route One (grey) took an early lead at South Liverpool, but the Merseysiders soon hit back. (Image: Ian Meachin.)

But the hosts equalised on 35 minutes, as Charlie Glennon finished off a neat counter-attack, then went in front in controversial circumstances just before the break.

Route One’s little midfielder Mohammed Farhan Subhani appeared to be shoved off the ball, but no foul was given, South Liverpool winger Elliot Owen got in behind, and he slotted the ball beyond visiting keeper Kyle Welsh to put his side ahead.

A fired-up Rovers dominated the second half, but had few chances to show for it.

Awais Khan put Zak Khan through one-on-one on the hour mark, only for Allan to brilliantly deny him.

There was a late opportunity for Awais Khan too, but he was unable to get his shot away from a great position.

And while South Liverpool’s Declan Gallagher was shown a second yellow card for kicking the ball away in the dying seconds, the 10-men did not have to do much to hold on and move up to second in the league.

As for Sedge, they claimed an excellent point after drawing 0-0 at league leaders Stockton.

The visitors took the game to the Teessiders in the first half, in what was an end-to-end opening 45 minutes with chances for both sides.

But Stockton showed their class after the break, with Sedge indebted to some heroic defending and brilliant goalkeeping from Jordan Porter to claim their point.

The visitors stay 14th as a result, but with games in hand on several of the teams above them, a late charge towards the play-offs is not out of reach for Jonathan Rimmington’s side.