Eccleshill United and Albion Sports both suffered agonising defeats in the FA Vase second round over the weekend.

The former had a wonderful run in the Vase last season, reaching the last-16, which allowed them to enter the competition at this second-round stage this time around.

And when two quickfire goals from Zack Sangster just before the hour mark on Saturday put them 2-0 up at home to Charnock Richard, they looked set fair to progress.

But Nathan Nickeas halved the deficit on 72 minutes, before a last-gasp equaliser from Jacob Ridings sent the game to penalties.

Charnock completed the turnaround by winning the shootout 4-2, sending Eccleshill out at their first hurdle.

Conversely, Albion had already won three games to reach this stage, and they made the perfect start on start on Saturday when experienced defender Aran Basi headed them in front at West Didsbury & Chorlton after only two minutes.

Albion had the better of the first half, but West Didsbury served warning of their threat when they had a goal disallowed for offside just before the break.

A superb free-kick from Darren McKnight brought the hosts level straight after the interval, and they got on top thereafter.

After hitting the bar midway through the second half, West Didsbury won the game in injury-time courtesy of Matthew Cook’s goal.

That 2-1 defeat, along with Eccleshill’s penalty pain, means Silsden are our only Bradford District representatives left in the competition.

They enjoyed a 4-1 win at Abbey Hey, in a game where a red card proved decisive.

Ellis Hudson put the visiting Cobbydalers in front inside the opening five minutes, but in an even first half, Abbey Hey equalised through Ben McNamara just before the half-hour mark.

Four minutes after the break, James Ormrod made a poor tackle on Silsden’s Isaac Baldwin and was dismissed, with the visitors taking full advantage thereafter.

Kayle Price, Adam Clayton and Jake Cassidy, the latter with his first Silsden goal, put the away side on easy street, with Abbey Hey’s miserable afternoon compounded when they were reduced to nine men in the dying moments, Jake Parker sent off for arguing back with the referee.

Emley were also in FA Vase action, and that allowed Campion to overtake them at the Northern Counties East League Premier Division summit.

The Red and Blacks were 2-0 down at the break at home to Rossington Main, but a brace for defender Sam Bradley brought them level, before the BD9 side won the game at the death through veteran Nicky Boshell’s penalty.

Former Thackley manager Pat McGuire got the better of his former club, guiding his current side Frickley Athletic to a 3-0 win over the Dennyboys.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Pat McGuire (centre) knows Thackley inside out, and he masterminded an impressive win over them on Saturday. Pat McGuire (centre) knows Thackley inside out, and he masterminded an impressive win over them on Saturday. (Image: Robert Leal.)

The result leaves Thackley in fourth and ended their four-match unbeaten run in the league.

Goals from Callan Parker-Wells and Musa Jallow ensured a 2-0 home win for Bradford side Route One Rovers in the North West Counties Football League First Division North and moved them up to second in the table.

But Steeton continue to slip further from the view of the play-offs in the same division, losing 2-0 at Ashton Athletic on Saturday.

In the Northern Premier League East Division, goals from Jack Normanton and Cameron Redford looked to have earned Brighouse Town a 2-1 home win over Cleethorpes Town, only for the visitors to snatch a point with a last-gasp equaliser.

That draw leaves Brig in 13th, while Liversedge slipped to 10th after losing 1-0 at Belper Town, despite visiting keeper Jordan Porter saving a penalty.

In the Northern Premier League Premier Division, Guiseley are up to seventh, a point off the play-offs after a thrilling 4-3 win over Workington.

Gabriel Johnson was the hero for the Lions, as he netted a hat-trick.

Finally, Farsley Celtic moved further clear of the National League North relegation zone with a 2-1 win at Buxton.

Having gone 1-0 down to a penalty, two goals in quick succession just before half-time from Darren Stevenson and Ryan Watson put the Celts ahead.

A red card for Buxton in the second half made their task of coming back even harder, and though Conor Branson was dismissed for Farsley late on, the visitors held on to win 2-1 and moved up to 18th.