BOTH Thackley and Albion Sports closed the gap to leaders Campion on Saturday in the Northern Counties East League Premier Division.

The Bradford duo fought their way to 1-0 wins, over Tadcaster Albion and Bottesford Town respectively, whereas the Red and Blacks had to settle for a point at Knaresborough Town.

Knaresborough took an early lead against Campion through Lewis Stephens and they held that narrow advantage until the break in what was an end-to-end game.

The Red and Blacks hit back in the second half and equalised quickly through Stephen Crawford.

Knaresborough were given a penalty with 20 minutes, but Brad Emmerson saved a weak effort down to his right.

Campion took the lead moments later through a superb Aidan Kirby strike, only for Stephens to level the scores again with 10 minutes to go after turning home a corner.

That result leaves the Bradford side two points clear at the summit from derby rivals Albion.

Tadcaster made a bright start at Horsfall against Sports, but then the visitors had a man sent off after only 15 minutes.

Taddy dug in and went into the break goalless, but the home side put the pressure on immediately after the break, and Hass Gorji’s flicked header from a corner put them in front on 53 minutes.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Campion could only back up this point against Albion with another draw, while Sports claimed a narrow win on Saturday.Campion could only back up this point against Albion with another draw, while Sports claimed a narrow win on Saturday. (Image: Alex Daniel.)

Sports looked most likely to grab a second, but were denied by the post and then some brilliant goalkeeping.

Both sides then had a man sent off in injury-time, before a Tadcaster free-kick went just wide with virtually the last kick of the game.

Thackley took an early lead at rock-bottom Bottesford, as Ben Bodle volleyed home Edson Prata’s cross.

But Town showed plenty of fight thereafter and both sides created plenty of chances throughout.

Miraculously, there were no more goals in the game, with Bottesford’s race finally run when one of their players was sin-binned in injury-time.

Struggling Eccleshill United were grateful for their neighbours doing them a favour, as a 2-1 defeat at fellow West Yorkshire side Golcar United left them just four points above the drop zone.

Two goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half saw the Eagles off, with Manny Amole’s goal to halve the deficit proving to be a mere consolation.

Meanwhile, Silsden lost ground to their Bradford District rivals in the promotion race, dropping out of the play-off places after a 3-0 home defeat against fellow high-flyers Emley.

Over in the North West Counties Football League First Division North, Route One Rovers got their promotion challenge back on track, Zak Khan’s hat-trick helping them to a comfortable 4-1 home win over lowly Nelson.

Steeton took the lead at Darwen thanks to Jake Townsend, but the hosts hit back to earn a 3-1 victory, leaving the disappointed Chevrons marooned in mid-table.

Liversedge’s home game against Consett in the Northern Premier League East Division was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Brighouse Town did play in that division, Myron Gibbons and Mo Qasim scoring in their 2-2 draw at Pontefract Collieries.

But Qasim missed a second-half penalty too, and a late equaliser denied Brig victory, dropping them to 12th in the table as a result.

Guiseley are only outside of the NPL Premier Division play-offs on goal difference, as the prolific Gabriel Johnson scored the only goal in their fine 1-0 win at second-placed Warrington Rylands.

Farsley Celtic are just a point above the National League North drop zone after a 2-1 home defeat against Darlington.

Conor Branson scored for the Celts, who had Connor O’Brien sent off late on for two bookable offences.