ALBION Sports have squeezed into the FA Vase second round on penalties.

After cruising to victories in the their qualifying round matches against Billingham Town and Harrogate Railway Athletic, they found Saturday’s visitors, West Allotment Celtic, a much tougher nut to crack.

The Bradford side made the perfect start though.

George McMahon’s goal-kick caused panic in the West Allotment backline and defender Michael Scott inadvertently looped a header over his own keeper and into the net.

But the Celts hit back well, having a goal disallowed before equalising through Cyril Giraod on 19 minutes after he was played in down the middle.

Albion were creating plenty of half-chances of their own, but they conceded a penalty just before the half-hour mark, only for McMahon to come to the rescue with a brilliant save from the spot-kick.

McMahon made another good save moments later, before the Celts wasted a great chance from close range.

The Albion stopper made an excellent save to keep his side level right at the start of the second half, while Kamron Basi and Robbie Fox came close for Albion late on.

The game finished 1-1 and went straight to penalties, with both teams scoring their first four each.

But McMahon had one more save left in him, denying West Allotment’s fifth kick taker.

That allowed Fox to slot home the decisive penalty and send Albion into the next round.

Silsden’s FA Vase fixture at Redcar Athletic was rained off, so the two sides will play the rearranged fixture this coming Saturday instead.

Campion were in Northern Counties East League Premier Division action, and unsurprisingly there were lots of goals in their dramatic match at Handsworth.

Having come from behind to win their previous two games 8-3 and 4-2, the league leaders repeated the trick on Saturday.

Luke Rhodes and Stephen Crawford scored at the start of each half for Campion, but Handsworth found themselves 3-2 up with a quarter of the game to go.

But the Bradford side produced another late show, as Sam Bradley and Joe Colley scored either side of an own goal to ensure the visitors won 5-3.

Thackley were knocked out of the NCEL League Cup second round, with a 2-0 defeat to Beverley Town.

Joe Mitchell was sent off for a professional foul in the second half too, on what was a disappointing afternoon for the Dennyboys.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Thackley skipper Joe Mitchell was unlucky, getting a red card after being sold short by a pass from his teammate.Thackley skipper Joe Mitchell was unlucky, getting a red card after being sold short by a pass from his teammate. (Image: Martin Taylor.)

Route One Rovers enjoyed arguably their best win of the season in the North West Counties Football League First Division North.

They beat visiting league leaders St Helens 2-1, thanks to a brace from Anees Younis.

That moved the Bradford side into the play-off places on goal difference.

Steeton sit six points adrift of that coveted top five after their league game at Ashton Athletic was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

Brighouse Town and Liversedge suffered the same fate, their Northern Premier League East Division games at Ossett United and Pontefract Collieries also falling foul of the weather.

Guiseley were unable to play their game at Ilkeston Town, after flood water made the home side’s ground inaccessible.

Farsley Celtic slipped to 17th in National League North after being thumped 4-1 at home to high-flying Brackley Town.

Former Bradford (Park Avenue) man Conor Branson scored the only goal for Clayton Donaldson’s side.