ALBION Sports are out of the West Riding County Cup at the first round stage, after losing a rollercoaster clash 4-3 at home to Liversedge.

Sedge were 2-1 down midway through the second half, but hit back to lead 3-2, before Albion equalised with 10 minutes to go.

But Sedge, last year’s losing finalists, were determined to progress and they scored at the death to go through.

There were half-chances in the opening moments of the game for Sedge duo Nicholas Walker and Reon Potts, but it was Albion who struck the decisive early blows.

Owen Murphy’s free-kick was headed home by Eivind Johnsen after only 12 minutes, and the scorer was soon on target again, finding the net from the penalty spot to put his side 2-0 in front.

Liam Hardy halved the deficit on the half-hour mark for Sedge, when Steven Fearnley could only parry Walker’s free kick into his path, but the visitors were grateful to Jordan Porter for a good save to keep Albion out right before half-time.

It was a quiet start to the second half, other than Robbie Fox testing Porter with a fierce drive.

But then Sedge scored twice in three minutes, with defender Kurt Harris heading home on both occasions from corners that Albion failed to deal with.

Fox levelled the scores soon after and the home side were then left wondering how they had not gone in front when Porter made three superb saves in a minute.

In a frantic finale which saw chances for both sides, Sedge scored a last-gasp winner, thanks to a superb header from Hardy.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Albion's coaching staff would have been frustrated to see a two-goal lead slip away.Albion's coaching staff would have been frustrated to see a two-goal lead slip away. (Image: Martin Taylor.)

Elsewhere, Steeton lost their Bradford District derby 2-1 to Route One Rovers on Monday night after a dramatic late twist.

Both sides play their home games at Marley, but Steeton were the designated away team for this Macron Cup first round clash.

And the ‘visitors’ just about edged the first half, before taking the lead on the cusp of the interval through Jake Townsend.

Route One were the better side after the break though, and they levelled on the hour mark.

Anees Younis’ free-kick took a wicked deflection off the wall, wrong-footing Catlow and finding the net.

Brilliant saves at either end kept the scores level, before a goal in the sixth minute of added time from Zakariya Khan decided the game in Route One’s favour, as they advanced into the second round at Steeton’s expense.