CAMPION are just a point off the summit of the Northern Counties East League Premier Division after an extraordinary 8-3 home win over Maltby Main last night.

A bright start from the Red and Blacks put them 2-0 up after 21 minutes through Marcus Day and Mark Ferguson, but Maltby pegged them back to go into the break level at 2-2.

And when Maltby went ahead three minutes into the second half, there was little sign of what was to come.

A Sam Bradley brace put Campion back in front just after the hour mark, before Paddy Sykes grabbed two in two minutes to ensure there would be no comeback from Maltby.

Late goals from Day and Aidan Kirby wrapped up an emphatic victory for Campion.

Albion Sports were in league action the night before and are now third after drawing 1-1 at Garforth Town.

Robbie Fox gave the visitors the lead after 77 minutes, only for Charlie Marshall to reply almost immediately for the hosts.

Thackley were in West Riding County Cup first round action and made a flying start against Brighouse Town, with Matthew Dempsey and Tom Greaves putting the Dennyboys 2-0 up after 11 minutes.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Player/joint-manager Tom Greaves put Thackley 2-0 up, but Brighouse Town staged a fine comeback.Player/joint-manager Tom Greaves put Thackley 2-0 up, but Brighouse Town staged a fine comeback. (Image: Martin Taylor.)

But Mo Qasim scored twice either side of the break to level the scores, before Myron Gibbons hit Brighouse’s winner just after the hour mark.

A makeshift Steeton side put up a good fight in the Edward Case First Division Challenge Cup, but lost 3-1 at Cumbrian outfit Holker Old Boys.

It was goalless at the break after Steeton had a goal controversially disallowed for a foul, before Holker scored three times in the second half to seal victory.

Louis Fialdini netted a late consolation for the Chevrons.

A double from Tom Denton sandwiched a goal from Gabriel Johnson to give Guiseley a 3-2 win over Atherton Collieries in the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

All five goals were scored before the break, while Atherton had a man sent off in second-half injury-time.